2016/5/8: Atari 2600: Space Cavern, Titan Axe, Zippy the Porcupine

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Buttons

Re: 2016/5/8: Atari 2600: Space Cavern, Titan Axe, Zippy the Porcupine

Postby Buttons » October 24th, 2016, 6:04 pm

scotland wrote:I really want to like a game like Titan Axe, but this is a wakeup call with your review eviscerating the controls. This wouldn't be the first game I really wanted to like, but did not measure up.

Hello!

I just want to drop in here and say I feel that the reviewer's description of the homebrew Titan Axe is harsh and is of one player's bad experience with the game making it not accurate. In regards to the graphics, he mentions the characters are large and chunky. This is one of the best-looking VCS games ever made! The characters' size and detail for VCS are part of it. The author refers to the instruction manual but seems not to have read it. The controls are the trickiest part of the game, but they require reading and understanding first, and then practicing them. It is not an "I-can-plug-this-game-in-and-hack-and-slash-my-way-to-millions-of-points-by-button-mashing-as-much-as-I-can" kind of game. It takes skill and patience and perseverance. In addition, the instruction manual also states there are unlimited continues and it also says in the manual how to use them. Of course you can't kill the fairies because in the instruction manual, it also infers you are trying to save them.

There is also a hint for the nerdy types who care to take the time and find it that will give knowledge of warps. Here is a link to the video recorded by the programmer if you're interested in seeing the gameplay.

Thanks for your consideration!
Buttons

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2016/5/8: Atari 2600: Space Cavern, Titan Axe, Zippy the Porcupine

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Buttons -
It's always good to hear another side to the argument, but I think part of the problem is that much like Zippy the Porcupine, Titan Axe comes off as a low rez clone of a classic game - in this case Golden Axe. When you do that comparisons to the original are hard to avoid. For the record my friends and I did try the slow, cautious approach but it didn't seem to help.

Return to “Review Feedback”