2016/5/12: Nintendo 3DS: Sega 3D Classics Collection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Atariboy

Re: 2016/5/12: Nintendo 3DS: Sega 3D Classics Collection

Postby Atariboy » June 7th, 2016, 6:05 am

I doubt it's a conspiracy since if they were that bent on driving people to purchasing their games digitally, why bring the subject of this thread to retail in the first place? Most of these games were already available on the eShop prior to this release a few weeks back with just Power Drift, Puyo Puyo, and the three SMS extras new to the lineup.

And many of those missing from store shelves here (Not all of which are included in this sale) did actually see a retail release over in Japan, but sadly Sega's North American arm has only distributed the 2nd volume here in the West. Some fans speculate that Sega did that over here since there was no Sonic content in Japan's volume 1 release.

Hopefully if Sega indeed thinks that any classic compilation needs Sonic to succeed, they'll be producing a North American specific follow-up soon with the 3D Classics conversion of Sonic 2 from last year and some of these others like Outrun.

Will be a shame if some of these excellent ports remain digital exclusives when all is said and done.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 7th, 2016, 11:14 am

Atariboy wrote:I doubt it's a conspiracy since if they were that bent on driving people to purchasing their games digitally, why bring the subject of this thread to retail in the first place?

Not a conspiracy, just marketing. The digital marketplace is crowded, so how to get attention? Steam sales, free to play, etc all are strategies for digital markets, and maybe a retail physical compilations cart is also a good strategy to sell related digital content a la carte.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 17th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Since this version of Outrun is so great and this deal is now such a steal, I that I'd bump this to note that Sega's now running another sale with what appears to be the same lineup of games.

But instead of the $2 discount from the last time, these are now 50% off and can be had for $3 a game.

Return to “Review Feedback”