2016/5/21: Wii U: Star Fox Guard, Star Fox Zero

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/5/21: Wii U: Star Fox Guard, Star Fox Zero

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2016, 12:33 pm

I know most critics hated Star Fox Zero and sorry to say I'm among them. I could never get a feel for it.
Comments?

Rev

Re: 2016/5/21: Wii U: Star Fox Guard, Star Fox Zero

Postby Rev » May 21st, 2016, 2:03 pm

Nice set of reviews. SFZ was a huge disappointment. I picked the game up hoping it'd be great and the controls frustrated me a lot. If the controls aren't working why the hell did Nintendo continue to try and push the motion controls? The game would have been a lot better had they thrown out the gimmicks and instead just stuck with what made the original SF games great. What a waste... It's sad when the bundled game is actually better than the main one...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 21st, 2016, 11:18 pm

So, if we averaged the D and the C- for the bonus game does it make the combination a D+? :P

Does the changing the controls help at all?

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 22nd, 2016, 6:58 am

As a guy who never was great any video games, I think after changing the controls scheme Star Fox Zero is a tremendous game and I think co-op mode is even better. Again, I feel like I am on crazy pills because I HAVE NO PROBLEMS CONTROLLING THE SHIP. I've had no problems getting gold trophies and having fun doing it. I wish the world could enjoy this one, because its a blast. I think it has the best amiibo integration and the different vehicles are fun to operate. The graphics are incredible. I would give the game a B+

My knocks on the game: how similar it was to Star Fox 64 it was in a few of the story parts. The final battle with Andross was a chore. It uses a lot of dialogue from Star Fox 64.

And I thought Star Fox Guard was a pretty crappy little game.

Funkmaster V

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 22nd, 2016, 11:02 am

This game exemplifies what's wrong with Shigeru Miyamoto these days. He's so bent on reinventing everything at every turn that it only leads to breaking things that didn't need fixing in the first place.

That's why we haven't had a new F-Zero game in over a decade. He hasn't yet figured out how to "improve" that one with a gimmick and isn't content just to make a new, bigger, faster, and better F-Zero.

Change just for the sake of change isn't any good. It has to actually bring improvements to the table for it to be any good. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with creating the best game that you can regardless of innovation. Some of Nintendo's best did just that like Super Mario Brothers 3 and A Link to the Past.

There was no revolutionary change in those franchises with those two games. They were just highly polished evolution's of earlier efforts and they remain perhaps the two most beloved Nintendo games to this day. I want innovation as much as the next guy, but I want great games even more and don't want to see promising efforts dragged down in this zeal to discover the next gimmick.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 22nd, 2016, 9:41 pm

Atariboy wrote:This game exemplifies what's wrong with Shigeru Miyamoto these days. He's so bent on reinventing everything at every turn that it only leads to breaking things that didn't need fixing in the first place.

That's why we haven't had a new F-Zero game in over a decade. He hasn't yet figured out how to "improve" that one with a gimmick and isn't content just to make a new, bigger, faster, and better F-Zero.

Change just for the sake of change isn't any good. It has to actually bring improvements to the table for it to be any good. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with creating the best game that you can regardless of innovation. Some of Nintendo's best did just that like Super Mario Brothers 3 and A Link to the Past.

There was no revolutionary change in those franchises with those two games. They were just highly polished evolution's of earlier efforts and they remain perhaps the two most beloved Nintendo games to this day. I want innovation as much as the next guy, but I want great games even more and don't want to see promising efforts dragged down in this zeal to discover the next gimmick.

Couldn't agree more. I have as much love and respect for Shigeru Miyamoto as the next gamer, but this is the man who told the developers at Retro to add blowing to Donkey Kong Country Returns. Some of his ideas seem to hamper otherwise good games.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 28th, 2016, 4:09 pm

It is a shame when a games company runs out of steam. though to be fair to Nintendo they have had a lot of mileage from the series. who would have thought that the original snes game would still be being reinvented all these years later. I always though ti was nintendos version of galazian 3.
Great game I really loved it on the snes.. it did everything right.
I do not have a 3ds but it is titles like this that make me not want to get it.

Return to “Review Feedback”