2016/7/30: Wii U: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Gam

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/7/30: Wii U: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Gam

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Here's a new set of Wii U games. As usual, looking forward to your comments.
I also updated the Summer Games special.
VGC

eneuman96

Re: 2016/7/30: Wii U: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic

Postby eneuman96 » July 30th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Good reviews, but you refer to the Wii U's Game Pad as the "control pad" a couple times. That's slightly confusing since most people think of "control pad" as a synonym for "D-pad."

CharlieR

Re: 2016/7/30: Wii U: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic

Postby CharlieR » July 31st, 2016, 9:11 am

nice format of grouping reviews together. one set of review has a few games from this system, another set features another system.

I've played some of the mario and sonic olympic games, and they can be pretty fun, though one I played back in '07 or '08 was frustrating.

I know what to expect from Kirby as I really enjoyed canvas curse, though I'm surprised you said it really doesn't use the TV at all.

I knew those last two reviews were coming, but one that was a nice surprise to see was captain toad. It looks like a pretty fun game, and I'm not really worried about how this bonus game from 3d world translates to a full game. Playing the bonus stages in 3d world gave me the idea that it has a lot of depth. Looks like a pretty fun game. A friend told me he would probably get annoyed by the fact that you can't jump. I think that might be annoying in some parts, but you'll get used to it quickly. good reviews

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 31st, 2016, 11:28 am

I played through the entire base game (there's also a second series of levels where you control Toadette that unlocks after you beat the original game and some bonus levels that you get access to if you have a completed Super Mario 3 World save file on your WiiU) and I struggled with my rating, ultimately settling on a C. I thought the Toad levels in SM3DW were a fun diversion, but after playing a game comprised only of these levels I almost wish they had remained as a side dish instead of becoming the main course. I actually agree with most aspects of the Critic's review, except I often found the game quite boring and could only bring myself to play two or three levels (the equivalent of 15 minutes or so) at a time. SM3DW has a bit of a slow start as well, but it begins to ramp up nicely after the first world or so; Captain Toad has an almost flat difficulty curve - the tower prior to the final boss fight is the only time in the entire game where I felt like I had to expend any serious effort. I almost feel that the game would be better suited for very young children being guided by their parents as a family bonding experience, rather than something an adult would choose to play on their own. I wish I didn't feel this way, because the game is charming and unique - it's just not much fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 31st, 2016, 5:28 pm

eneuman96 wrote:Good reviews, but you refer to the Wii U's Game Pad as the "control pad" a couple times. That's slightly confusing since most people think of "control pad" as a synonym for "D-pad."

I really wish Nintendo had come up with a more descriptive name for the game pad/control pad. Then again, they named the console the "Wii U", so naming stuff isn't their strong suit.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2016, 6:35 pm

I changed the last line of the Rio review to add a bit more humor.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 1st, 2016, 8:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I changed the last line of the Rio review to add a bit more humor.

Very nice touch! I had a good laugh at that. :x

Return to “Review Feedback”