I personally think Geometry Wars is highly overrated. Personally I liked the game but maybe I am just getting old as the frenetic pace tends to kill me off rather early. I just didn't think there was that much variety in the game.
Shawn, it took me a couple of weeks to even break a 100,000. Geometry Wars has a pretty good learning curve to it. Not that you're looking for advice or anything but if you don't mind a little help the tips below will help bump your score immediately
1. Go slow at the beginning on killing everything in sight. Just sit tight and don't move or go slowly around and just kill what's going to run into you first. Doing so delays the harder groupings of the four black holes at each corner and multiple enemies coming at you from all sides.
2. Try to go in an oval around the board not too far from the edge and not too close to the center.
3. Sway your shots using a small side to side motion to increase the angle at which you fire.
4. Fly forward and shoot forward. If you get to used to flying away from enemies and shooting backwards you're screwed on the harder enemy spawns as they're everywhere.
5. Activate the blackholes but be prepared for the aftermath if you can't close it in time.
6. If you're playing on a big screen/small screen (doesn't matter) sit closer to the tv. Seriously, it helps tremedously as you can see things in a lot more detail and have a better idea of which area will kill you quicker.
7. Use your bombs - far too often I'll die and still have several bombs left. Each bomb you use to get you out of trouble gets a you little closer to a bigger multiplier where you'll rack up points exponetially.
I still haven't gotten all the achievements in this one. I lack the 10x multiplier, 9 bombs in reserve, and survive for a 1,000,000. Oh, well, maybe one day. Best score so far is just over 1.5 million.