2016/9/8: Colecovision: Turbo, Defender

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/9/8: Colecovision: Turbo, Defender

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Here are two fun re-reviews for the Colecovision. The reviews didn't lose much - I just fleshed them out.
Defender was downgraded from A-.

borntorun

Re: 2016/9/8: Colecovision: Turbo, Defender

Postby borntorun » September 9th, 2016, 2:40 pm

These are 2 of my favorite classic videogames. As a kid, I was blown away by just the idea of Turbo- an arcade racer with scaling buildings, just like driving through the city. The Colecovision port is absolutely fantastic.

Defender is great, although my favorite port is the Atari 8-Bit version, followed by the Commodore 64 version.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 10th, 2016, 6:53 am

I've never seen a Colecovision in the flesh. Your Turbo review really makes me want to try this. Doesn't seem like it received many home ports either only the Colecovision and Intellivision. Think I'll fire up some emulators and give them a go.

Never got into Defender. I think the barrier to entry is too high. The games balls hard from the first second.

Really enjoyed these reviews Critic !

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » September 14th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Sut wrote:I've never seen a Colecovision in the flesh. Your Turbo review really makes me want to try this. Doesn't seem like it received many home ports either only the Colecovision and Intellivision.

Coleco was porting it to the 2600 when the crash happened and it got shelved. A prototype was discovered by Antony Henderson(who did the graphics & sound for it) in his attic. A group at AtariAge cleaned up the code, added an enhanced mode, and released it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 14th, 2016, 3:38 pm

I've long hoped that Sega will see fit to revisit Turbo and release the arcade original in emulated form. Imagine it on the 3DS for instance, as part of Sega's well received 3D Classics lineup. I can't see in 3D, but I bet this one would translate well.

While it has been done in pretty haphazard fashion, much of their golden age library has actually been released through the years here and there on consoles and handhelds, often only in Japan (Such as the bonus arcade games like Tac/Scan in Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2). But I'm still waiting for this one, Zoom 909 (The Japanese title for what we knew as Buck Rogers - Planet Of Zoom, which avoids the licensing fee), Star Trek (I'm not holding my breath that this one ever surfaces), and a few other notables from the pre Space Harrier days of Sega.

I actually had this one at one time, but the great Colecovision effort suffices these days.

Return to “Review Feedback”