2016/9/29: Genesis: Shadow Blasters, Risky Woods, James Bond: The Duel

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/9/29: Genesis: Shadow Blasters, Risky Woods, James Bond: The Duel

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 29th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Let's hear your thoughts on these latest Genesis reviews.

Sut

Re: 2016/9/29: Genesis: Shadow Blasters, Risky Woods, James Bond: The Duel

Postby Sut » September 30th, 2016, 5:32 am

Not played the Sega version but I can remember playing it on my ST. So wanted to love it because the graphics and presentation were console quality. But your right it is an infuriating game and it's home computer roots seem to have carried over to the console port.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 30th, 2016, 11:10 am

Shadow Blasters is just too easy, IMHO. Switching between the four characters makes it trivial to beat the game, and I had no trouble putting together a 1LC (completion with no lives lost).

I think Risky Woods is more playable than it seems at first -- a couple finesses, the details of which I don't remember, help a lot -- but James Bond is pretty rough. Funny line about the title screen, though the image of Dalton reminds me of someone else too: maybe Fred Schneider of the B-52's?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Sut - I take it you were referring to Risky Woods, and I agree about the "home computer roots". It's more complicated than it should be.

goldenband - to be honest, I never remembered you could change characters during the mission, so I never did that. I guess that really raised the difficulty. You may want to try it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 2nd, 2016, 3:01 am

The kneeling in Risky Woods is hilariously stupid. It's such a small detail, but it screws the game up SO BADLY. European 16-bit developers had some baffling attitudes toward platform game design - so many of those games seem like they exist just to take the cheapest possible shots at the player.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 2nd, 2016, 7:21 am

Stalvern wrote:The kneeling in Risky Woods is hilariously stupid. It's such a small detail, but it screws the game up SO BADLY. European 16-bit developers had some baffling attitudes toward platform game design - so many of those games seem like they exist just to take the cheapest possible shots at the player.

It's a great point, I think many European gamers moved away from the Amiga and ST once they started seeing Nintendo and Sega games and their more refined game design.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 3rd, 2016, 8:57 pm

Since I've requested some reviews of Bond games, I've got to say "thank you" for reviewing The Duel. It's absolutely a cheesy platformer, though I'd say you were a little harsh with the F. I'd probably have it as a D+ or so, so I can't complain too much. It has some nice variation in level backdrops, but it is completed on rote memorization. You are absolutely correct that it can be difficult figuring out what can be jumped on and what is scenery. Hope there are more Bond game reviews in the works!

Arnold

Postby Arnold » April 14th, 2017, 11:06 pm

The best 2D spy game ever made is Rolling Thunder 2 (Sega Genesis, 1991). "James Bond: the Duel" is not that bad, but pales in comparison.

Return to “Review Feedback”