2016/10/19: Intellivision: Dracula, Tutankham

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/10/19: Intellivision: Dracula, Tutankham

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Here are some new Intellivision reviews you might enjoy.

Tutankham is new, reviewed on my LTO Flash cartridge.

Dracula is a re-review - the original was posted in 2000! This new review has some more info, and lowers the grade from C+ to C.

I wanted to post a Congo Bongo review, but still can't get past the second screen. Stay tuned.

Atariboy

Re: 2016/10/19: Intellivision: Dracula, Tutankham

Postby Atariboy » October 19th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Will you be reviewing the LTO Flash? Should make for an interesting review if you do. I don't think you've ever covered a multicart here in the past.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » October 21st, 2016, 3:22 pm

I dunno man, I think you should have left the Dracula score up at C+. Sure, it gets a bit repetitive but don't almost all games on those old systems (Intellivision, Collecovision, Atari 2600/5200)? The uniqueness and flourishes of that game really deserve a slightly better score methinks.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 21st, 2016, 3:36 pm

I think the new grade is a fair one. Dracula seems really nifty at first, but the novelty quickly wears off and you're left with a game whose gameplay isn't really up to the standard of the better games of the era.

It's playable, but not addictive, and the experience doesn't build in intensity in the satisfying way that a game of, say, Frogger or Galaga does -- or to take another Intellivision exclusive as an example, Thin Ice (probably the best original arcade-style game on the system IMHO).

Really pleased to see a new Intellivision review, and to know that the Critic now has the ability to review rarities like Congo Bongo, Spiker, Stadium Mud Buggies and Super Cobra!

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » October 23rd, 2016, 8:43 am

I pulled out Dracula yesterday and gave it another spin. The Critic pretty much nailed it in his review. The game does have a great Halloween vibe to it but just didn't hold my interest for more than a few minutes.

I consider Dracula and The Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man to be "beautifully boring". Games that have great graphics, seem amazing to play at first but then your interest immediately dims when you realize the repetitive and not-really-fun-at-all gameplay.

I do have high hopes for seeing several new Intellivision reviews in the future!

borntorun

Postby borntorun » October 23rd, 2016, 3:58 pm

I can see both sides with Dracula. It's one of the most interesting pre-NES titles out there, with great atmosphere and some cool idiosyncracies. However, it does seem to wear thin after awhile, with not much new or interesting in later levels. Still, I probably would have kept it at a C+, if only for originality and production value.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 24th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Great reviews as usual VGC, and I completely agree with the C grade for Dracula. The game is extremely creative and unique, but just not that fun to play. Which is a shame, because it had the potential to be a great game.

I bought the game in late 82 or early 83 at American Sew and Sound in Pittsburgh. Yes, there actually was a time when a store only sold stereos, sewing machines, and video games. My friend and I were both going to buy Dracula, but the clerk told us to buy different games and to share them. So my friend bought Dracula and I bought Ice Trek. We actually put more time into Ice Trek than Dracula.

Return to “Review Feedback”