2016/10/11 - X-Arcade PS4 Adapter review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
chuck

2016/10/11 - X-Arcade PS4 Adapter review

Postby chuck » November 13th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I found your review via Google and it was very helpful. It provided me information that I wasn't able to find anywhere else! Thank you.

I already have a X-arcade solo and a PS2 adapter, but no 5-in-1 adapter. I have contacted X-Arcade to see if the version of the PS2 adapter I have is compatible with the PS4 adapter or if I need to also buy a 5-in-1 adapter just to get the PS4 adapter working.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2016/10/11 - X-Arcade PS4 Adapter review

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 13th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback Chuck! Glad you found the review useful.
I'm one critic whose not on anyone's payroll - you can probably tell!
Sometimes I think the video game industry hates me.

chuck

Re: 2016/10/11 - X-Arcade PS4 Adapter review

Postby chuck » November 20th, 2016, 1:28 am

Here is some more info that hopefully someone will find useful.

The X-arcade PS2 adapter I have is the 2nd generation one that looks like this:
PS1-2_Adapter.jpg
x-arcade ps2 adapter
PS1-2_Adapter.jpg (50.02 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

I contacted X-arcade and they said they weren't sure how well it would work with the Brook PS2 to PS3/PS4 adapter. I tested it out and it seems to work great.

The Brook adapter has a firmware update that has some great improvements. It can be found here: http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/
-Now the side "select" button on the X-arcade is treated as a push of the PS4 touchpad instead of the PS4 "share" button. In my opinion this is a great improvement, because many games use this touchpad button to open menus that you can't get to any other way.

I have noticed one issue when using both the x-arcade and Brook adapters together. It's not a big deal, but I'll mention it. Brook adapter says that pushing select + start will trigger the PS4 "share" button. Unfortunately, when I try this button combination, the X-arcade PS2 adapter thinks you are trying to change the adapter to "PSX digital mode" and then the X-arcade stick is completely non-responsive until you get it out of this mode or it is unplugged and plugged in again. A side effect is that the Brook adapter thinks you hit the "Analog" button on the PS2 controller, which maps to hitting the PS4 home button.

Return to “Review Feedback”