2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 30th, 2016, 5:55 pm

When I starting reviewing The World Is Not Enough a few months ago, it occurred to me that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark really needed updated reviews (I think most of you would agree). I downgraded them a bit, but I think the reviews are much better.
Comments?

Rookie1

Re: 2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Postby Rookie1 » November 30th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I was playing Goldeneye not to long ago. It really shows its age, as well as it should considering it was really a first of its kind. However, I still think it holds up pretty well. Its still pretty enjoyable and I find myself getting lost in the gameply. I would give it a solid B (looking at it in today's perspective). I dont think roughly half the levels are pretty boring, a sentiment I have had since its release. And I will agree that some of the levels are like labyrinths. Especially when you play in harder modes and have more tedious objectives to complete.

I dont remember much from The World is Not Enough, but I do remember renting it and not having too much fun with it at all.

Perfect Dark on the other hand is an exceptional game. I actually never played it until pretty recently after picking up a CIB copy of for dirt cheap. Its like just about every flaw that Goldeneye suffered was fixed in this game, though I do think some of the levels are like labyrinths at time. I found myself getting lost and not being able to find where I was supposed to go on more than one occasion.

matmico399

Re: 2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Postby matmico399 » November 30th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Critic I must disagree on You Goldeneye review. I have not played the other two. I agree it has not aged well but it is still fun. My problem is You said you reviewed it from a modern perspective. But on your page about who is the VGC you say you review the games based on other games for the same system. Goldeneye was a legit phenomenon back in the day and is still one of the best games for the console. Comparing it against modern FPS is a bit unfair. Compared to other games for the console I think it is a treat.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 30th, 2016, 9:53 pm

"As the spiritual successor to the wildly-popular Goldeneye, you can tell Nintendo spared no expense with Perfect Dark."

These games were made by Rare, not Nintendo.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 1st, 2016, 10:36 am

Been looking forward to these reviews. They didn't disappoint. First off, I have to commend you Critic for your Goldeneye review. It's rare to see a critic willing to call out the sacred cows of the gaming world, but you consistently point out that games like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye haven't aged well. You could get away with that easy on a Sony or Sega system, but we all know you're subjecting yourself to stabbing by pitchfork every time you do it about a Nintendo system. And even if I disagreed (which I don't), I'd still appreciate the perspective.

I just picked up World is Not Enough a couple months ago (based on the VGC mentioning it in "Now Playing"), but I haven't tried it yet. And I haven't played Goldeneye or Perfect Dark in years, but did beat both back in the day. I was late to the Goldeneye party, playing it a few years after release. I had fun on certain levels (especially the first one, which I played over and over), but even back then I thought it was a little overrated. And while it was a high quality console FPS for its time, that changed once Halo came out and crushed it by about 20 miles. Still, you can't help the nostalgia when playing Goldeneye, which I think still makes it an easy B for most gamers, including me. But I still appreciate the C-range grade, since an objective review should try to evaluate a game with a clean slate (without nostalgia).

@matmico: I don't think he was saying he is comparing Goldeneye to modern FPSes. I think he was saying that he reviewed it based on "how it plays today" in comparison to other N64 games. i.e., if Perfect Dark is a B and notably better than Goldeneye, then Goldeneye is a C.

P.S. For that grew up with it, how old do we feel when we just realized that Goldeneye is nearly 20 years old....

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 1st, 2016, 12:04 pm

I said this in another thread awhile ago, but I agree that these games haven't aged well. And while I didn't get into world is not enough back then, I played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark extensively. For me it isn't the graphics, I'm pretty good with basic graphics, it's the controls. Ever since the whole "two joystick halo style" fps controls, this generation of games is hard to revisit. I have an easier time playing Doom, Wolf 3D, or Hexen than this generation of FPS games.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 1st, 2016, 1:22 pm

In the review of '007: The World Is Not Enough' you made a typo: "when you should [shoot] a picture on the wall"

Rev

Postby Rev » December 1st, 2016, 2:13 pm

I liked the reviews. I'm curious though, since you've always said you grade games based on other games on the same console, do you feel there are other n64 games that have aged as lot better than fps's on the n64. Honestly that genre has has probably the most growth besides 3d platformers /action games. I guess I'm curious if you feel like it's fair to drop the scores of those types of games when most of the n64 library is going to feel outdated compared to modern games? I don't care about the scores just wondering.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » December 1st, 2016, 4:05 pm

I was kind of scared to click on the article and see the Goldeneye 007 score. In my heart I was hoping it would be an average score, but I had no clue how the Critic would grade it. I think he nailed it though.

If you're being completely objective and honest, Goldeneye in 2016 is completely average. Yes, it is an important game and it deserves all of the accolades/praise it once got, but frankly it's a game that just doesn't hold up. It has to do with how much the FPS genre has improved, and how the PS1/N64/SAT generation really aged poorly. I think the game is ugly and drab to play.

A few years ago I held a videogame tournament in the style of The Critic's Videogame Mania and Goldeneye was EASILY the least well received game played. Many people were in absolute shock at just how badly the game plays now.

I think the C+ score is fine in terms of where the game fits in with the rest of the N64 library. It's certainly playable and the single player campaign provides some fun. However, there are plenty of better N64 games to hunt down before this one.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 1st, 2016, 4:57 pm

What do you mean when you state "this game hasn't aged well"? It can't just be graphics because Warlords and Adventure have very primitive graphics, yet they're considered timeless classics. Just curious.

I really enjoyed Goldeneye and Perfect Dark when they came out. Oddly enough I got motion sickness when I first started playing Goldeneye.

Return to “Review Feedback”