2017/1/1: Wii U: Super Mario Maker, Mighty No. 9

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/1/1: Wii U: Super Mario Maker, Mighty No. 9

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2017, 11:08 am

Let me hear your thoughts on my latest set of Wii U reviews.

Rev

Re: 2017/1/1: Wii U: Super Mario Maker, Mighty No. 9

Postby Rev » January 1st, 2017, 12:19 pm

Nice set of reviews. I was pretty shocked by your scoring of Super Mario Maker... I would have figured at least a B but to each his own... There are some amazing level makers out there who have made amazing levels.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 1st, 2017, 7:59 pm

I agree completely with your Super Mario Maker review. When I first heard about it, I kinda figured it might be a $15 digital download, not a $60 retail game. I guess I thought this would be a killer app for the wii u, but I never really got into it.

I was really glad you mentioned that you hated the user created levels online, because I kinda do too. I would almost say hate, but there are some good levels. The problem is, you have to know where to look. For me, it was finding message boards online, writing down the 16-digit level codes, turning the game on, getting the stylus out, entering the code... who has time for that? I just want to sit down and play levels. Unfortunately, if you just want to dive right in to levels, you probably won't find much to enjoy, as most levels are just so congested, they are not even fun. Also, it seems these lame levels are always highly rated and at the top of the list, so you really have to sift through a ton of levels to find a good one.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 2nd, 2017, 12:14 am

This is extremely trivial, but shouldn't Mighty No. 9 get the E.T. award?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 2nd, 2017, 8:48 am

Mario Maker was another one of those titles I thought would be my gateway in to a WiiU. Glad I waited to play it first. Gave it a spin at my local gamestop, and while it is pretty cool, I could see myself getting bored with it in less than a day.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 2nd, 2017, 9:50 am

I love Mario Maker. Then again, I have a thing for level editors. I love being creative, and level editors are a great way to combine two of my favorite hobbies. I've got a couple levels up, if anyone wants to try them.

8291-0000-0210-1F07
0078-0000-0247-5FFE
7CA0-0000-02A2-9DAD

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2017, 10:49 am

Stalvern wrote:This is extremely trivial, but shouldn't Mighty No. 9 get the E.T. award?

I think it's a valid question! I did consider it.
If it were a Mega Man game I would have given it the ET award no doubt.
But since it's supposed to be an original franchise I felt I had to tamper my expectations a bit.

What do you guys think?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 2nd, 2017, 11:41 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Stalvern wrote:This is extremely trivial, but shouldn't Mighty No. 9 get the E.T. award?

But since it's supposed to be an original franchise I felt I had to tamper my expectations a bit.

What do you guys think?

I would think it's a yes and no thing. I originally thought yes, but you bring up an interesting point about it being an original franchise, so you might think you should probably go easier on it.

I've never played the game, but from what I hear, it sounds like it could get the award. I think this because, isn't it supposed to be just like mega man?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:

What do you guys think?

Take Bloodbourne's ET award away and give it to Mighty No. 9 instead.

EDIT: In all seriousness, the award does fit Mighty No. 9. It was the result of an enormously successful Kickstarter campaign that earned quadruple of what was being asked for and many people were excited by the concept - one of Mega Man's co-creators was going to show up Capcom (who was seen as having mismanaged the brand in recent years) and take his character back out from under them in all but name. That excitement waned as the delays mounted, reported features (like the ability to morph the main character's body) were removed, distractions emerged (such as Inafune's company beginning a separate Kickstarter campaign before the game had even shipped) and screenshots and test footage were released to reactions of disappointment. After being released the game was met with mediocre-to-poor reviews from critics and fans across the board and was discounted from it's already low price within a couple of months (not to mention that it hasn't even appeared yet on some of the promised platforms). I do intend on buying it one day out of curiosity and a love for the original franchise - but it will probably be for $5 on Steam.

Just as an aside, I can't believe how ugly the game looks. It's not a budget issue, either: Dragon's Crown is gorgeous and it cost around a million dollars to make. Here's a screenshot from Wayforward's Shantae: Half Genie Hero, also a Kickstarter game and made for considerably less than Mighty No. 9 - I would have bought Mighty No. 9 without even reading a review if it looked this good:

Shantae-internet.jpg
Shantae-internet.jpg (77.35 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » January 2nd, 2017, 9:41 pm

Mighty No. 9 was actually very heavily anticipated when it was released, with $4 million being made off the kickstarter campaign, and lots of hype surrounding it's release that slowly fizzled out as the game's development became more troubled and the release date was delayed again and again. In that case, it seems that the ET award would be appropriate.

I recently began playing MN9 and so far have really been enjoying it, to me it's a very underrated game, especially considering its troubled development cycle. The main issue is that the graphics are lacking, especially in the cutscenes where the characters barely animate. But the gameplay is fast and fun, so it's no big deal. The challenge from a traditional MegaMan game is there too. I would give it a B. I wasn't involved in any of the kickstarter issues, though.

Also, I really enjoyed watching twitch streamers suffering through those horrendous user created levels in Mario Maker. :lol:

Return to “Review Feedback”