2017/1/31: Sega Master System: Phantasy Star

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
scotland

Re: 2017/1/31: Sega Master System: Phantasy Star

Postby scotland » February 5th, 2017, 11:34 am

This is pretty off topic for the game review, but the game save batteries can last a long time. For those button cell lithium batteries used for game saves, they were designed specifically for very low draw for a very long time.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/cr2032.pdf says they should self discharge about 1% a year. So, having them last 25 years is (amazing as this sounds) completely in line with the specs. That's some amazing technology, isn't it.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 8th, 2017, 5:55 pm

I recently played through it. Those dungeons are not fun at all. Every section looks the same, no matter where you are. It's like Maze Craze in first person. Sometimes you spend a half hour trying to get around, then fall through the floor.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 8th, 2017, 8:11 pm

GTS wrote:I recently played through it. Those dungeons are not fun at all. Every section looks the same, no matter where you are. It's like Maze Craze in first person. Sometimes you spend a half hour trying to get around, then fall through the floor.

I hear ya. I don't know a way to avoid those floor pits. If I recall, you have to map, fall that first time, use your map to get back to that exact spot you fell, and cast a spell to fix the floor. I know tabletop gamers are used to that, but the mapping does take some of the fun out. I was often trying to use notebook paper because who has graph paper anymore. Eventually I found the compass actually works in the dungeons - its not just the macguffin to get you into that early forest city. Finding the magic shield was annoying too. I followed the clues, searched the area, found nothing. Retraced my steps to make sure I had the clues right, travel there, search the area...eventually found it, but this was not a side quest. You needed that shield.

So far, voters have given it an A...but bring graph paper.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I often play older games with the maps on a laptop nearby. Only way I survived Wizardry and Bard's Tale. I made too many mistakes trying to map myself. Especially when there are teleporter or pitfall traps that place you in different locations on different floors. That would screw me up so much.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 9th, 2017, 8:09 am

scotland wrote:
GTS wrote:So far, voters have given it an A...but bring graph paper.

Needs Graph Paper icon.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 9th, 2017, 11:47 am

Great review Scotland. Being a bit of an RPG virgin I, like Alucard must confess to using maps from the internet for older RPG's.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 9th, 2017, 11:58 am

In all honesty, Phantasy Star is the game that first made me hate RPGs. I find those dungeons in which every wall looks the same too tedious. (And I once thought all RPGs were like that, so it took me some time to discover they were actually RPGs that aren't so tedious :)).

scotland

Postby scotland » February 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Sut wrote:Great review Scotland. Being a bit of an RPG virgin I, like Alucard must confess to using maps from the internet for older RPG's.

Thanks Sut. It was fun to write the review while playing. This game is probably a lot more fun if you do use maps. I wonder if YouTube videos taking over from things like Gamefaqs will impact how people play older games. A YouTube video isn't really going to replace a map.

CaptainCruch wrote:In all honesty, Phantasy Star is the game that first made me hate RPGs. I find those dungeons in which every wall looks the same too tedious. (And I once thought all RPGs were like that, so it took me some time to discover they were actually RPGs that aren't so tedious :)).

Tedious is an apt word. The sequel, Phantasy Star 2, decided for easier dungeon navigation with an overhead view, although I find it kinda dull to look at. Ever play TG-16 game Double Dungeons? If not, just avoid it. Its basically just the dungeon crawl part of Phantasy Star, except there are dozens of levels of dungeons (and TG-16 password saves...oh lord, just writing down those passwords is tedious).

borntorun

Postby borntorun » February 12th, 2017, 10:46 am

Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes, it's my original battery. This game seemed really impressive when it was released. I still love it.

Return to “Review Feedback”