2017/2/10: Playstation 4: Steep

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
BlasteroidAli

Re: 2017/2/10: Playstation 4: Steep

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 11th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the review. Think the last snow based game I really enjoyed was Steep slope sliders on the Saturn. A game that had everything and was immense fun.

I looked at it and just said no. Your review confirms what I thought. The online only part. Well we already have Ubisofts racing game the Crew online only. Also we have Rainbow 6 siege which is online only. Then they brought this out so this is the way US want to go.

On a side note I was playing battleborn (which like overwatch) is online only. I went to play the one player game and it said linking to server. Me and a friend played it online and he was like how do I change weapons? I was like back.. only one... then he said to me I hate this character I want to change it.. and I was like no going back.. only one character ... you level up every time you play the game but the levelling up only lasts for the period of that game.

So when it was time to play the second round of games on battleborn my pal said.. I want to play titan fall 2 instead and I agreed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2017, 9:32 pm

The face wouldn't be visible in the 32x32 icon, but I appreciate the sentiment! LOL

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » February 11th, 2017, 11:24 pm

I dunno why the other one didn't display but here it is -- http://www.iconsdb.com/caribbean-blue-i ... -icon.html

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 12th, 2017, 2:15 am

Based on your review, I looked at a few others and was surprised to see that no one mentioned the online-only component. I hate this fact. I don't think it's some nefarious scheme though. I chalk it up to two main reasons. First, as you've said before Critic, I think most people have this "that's just the way it is" mentality about the direction the gaming industry is headed. Rather than challenge it, they just accept it as the current state of normal, and never mention it in their reviews. And with word counts being precious for magazine publishers (even online), discussing "behind-the-scene hassles" like online-only, no manuals, etc. is a waste of space to them. And second, all of us here tend to look at games from the perspective of retro gamers who understand the value of owning physical media and the desirability of playing these games in 20 years--hence why an online-only game is immediately seen as a problem to us. But most reviews are written by and to modern gamers, who just want to play the newest games when they come out and trade them in at Gamestop when they're done. They only see a few months or a year down the road, while we're looking decades ahead. Unfortunately, we're the vast minority of gamers and, since publishers make no money on retro games, there's little reason for them to care about whether a game works in 10 years.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 12th, 2017, 1:41 pm

It's total bull that even console games require online connectivity for single player play. At least keep that stuff confined to PC gaming where it belongs.

As games become digital downloads only and require connecting to servers, preservation is lost. Of course companies love it because they retain control and it eliminates competition from used games. But as the Critic says, they aren't really our games anymore.

People should just vote with their wallets and not purchase games that require connecting to a server.

Meanwhile I'm sticking to playing my NES. :)

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm

mbd36 wrote:It's total bull that even console games require online connectivity for single player play. At least keep that stuff confined to PC gaming where it belongs.

As a PC gamer I take issue with that statement! There's NO reason for ANY game with a 1P mode/component to require a constant, continuous connection to a remote server. Well, I mean other than the obvious desire of the publisher to try to continuously nickel and dime their customers and maintain Sauron-like control over their product. YOU DON'T OWN THAT GAME, YOU ONLY OWN THE RIGHTS TO PLAY IT... AND ONLY AS LONG AS WE FEEL LIKE ALLOWING IT! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Diablo 3 burned me with this crap, never again Blizzard.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » February 13th, 2017, 12:37 am

The Critic has given a lot of bad scores to games he isn't good at. Always online sucks but I don't trust his review otherwise.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » February 13th, 2017, 2:37 am

That's why you have the ability to give your own grade on this site...

scotland

Postby scotland » February 13th, 2017, 6:14 am

crimefighter wrote:That's why you have the ability to give your own grade on this site...

There are even statistics that compare the critic's grade to readers' grade right on the main page.

And you can leave your own feedback to his review at 'review feedback' in the forums

And you can leave an entire review of your own at 'reader reviews' in the forums.

And there is an active thread right now in 'video games general' if you think the critic underrated a game.

I think it was EGM that used to use a small team of reviewers, where some would like/be good at those kinds of games, and some wouldn't. No one likes all kinds of games and is very good at all kinds of games. This is one person's site of their reviews, but there are multiple venues to rally support for games you think deserved a higher grade.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 13th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I loved those days when EGM had a long general synopsis of the game, followed by four different, bite sized reviews at the end. I used to reread those magazines over and over. If was kindof fun back then to see which of their reviewers I agreed with. That was much better and more personal than something like Metacritic.

Return to “Review Feedback”