2017/2/10: Playstation 4: Steep

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
MrLuck87

Re: 2017/2/10: Playstation 4: Steep

Postby MrLuck87 » February 13th, 2017, 5:58 pm

crimefighter wrote:That's why you have the ability to give your own grade on this site...

Wasn't there a thread about how unreliable the user scores are? Like people giving F's to games he likes and A's to games he doesn't? Also not one person in this thread implied that they played the game too. Lots of people seem to agree with his review without even playing it though.

Maybe this is another case like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. He let his friend who was good at the genre review Dark Souls and it got a great score. He tried to review Bloodbourne himself and it got a bad score because he wasn't good at it. It's clear he would have given Dark Souls a bad score too.

Lots of reviews on Amazon imply the games biggest fault is always online but it's good otherwise. Maybe it's worth a gamefly rental. Maybe it's worth it if the price goes down to about 3 bucks. Like I said, I don't trust the review.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 13th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Oh man, check out Ubisoft's response:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/14 ... olo-Forums

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2017, 8:13 pm

This thread is revealing. Gamers clearly don't want the connection requirement.

But Ubisoft doesn't care about gamers and they don't care about video games. They just care about making a profit this quarter. They know what they are doing isn't good for gamers but they don't care.

Of course I'm referring to Ubisoft corporate. I doubt if the programming team had any say in this horrendous decision.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 13th, 2017, 8:24 pm

MrLuck87 wrote:
crimefighter wrote:That's why you have the ability to give your own grade on this site...

Wasn't there a thread about how unreliable the user scores are? Like people giving F's to games he likes and A's to games he doesn't? Also not one person in this thread implied that they played the game too. Lots of people seem to agree with his review without even playing it though.

Maybe this is another case like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. He let his friend who was good at the genre review Dark Souls and it got a great score. He tried to review Bloodbourne himself and it got a bad score because he wasn't good at it. It's clear he would have given Dark Souls a bad score too.

Lots of reviews on Amazon imply the games biggest fault is always online but it's good otherwise. Maybe it's worth a gamefly rental. Maybe it's worth it if the price goes down to about 3 bucks. Like I said, I don't trust the review.

I think the real thing here is not having played the game.. it is that it is online only. It is a sparse experience. I do not like Ubisofts policy shift to making these games and that is what I was commenting on. Also I trust the critics view. If he thinks a game is a F I normally think it is a D. That is the point of review sites.
Getting back to the online only part. I have played the following online only games. Elder Scrolls online, Destiny, Battleborn, titanfall, rainbow6 seige, the crew. With the exception of Titanfall all of these games would have benefited from an offline game mode where you could just play the game. When the AI was good and you did not have to rent the game from a server. When the server goes down you no longer have a game.
So for me it is going from the reduced functionality of when they turned off the server and the MP no longer worked. Homefront springs to mind to the online games where when you turn off the server you have a coaster for you tea cup.

Hence the reason I will not be getting Steep. Plus from what I have heard the game is not very good at all.. not just from the critic.. though if I see it for £4 I might get it to have a look at it...

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

I've changed my mind. Requiring an internet connection is a good thing.

I think they should also stream internet ads while you are playing. Ads will benefit consumers by helping them with prospective purchases.

They should charge an annual or even monthly licensing fee for continued use of this product. This gives them more money which will give them even more incentive to keep making great games.

Users should be required to be logged into Facebook and Twitter as well. This is 2017 and social networking is important.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » February 13th, 2017, 9:12 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
MrLuck87 wrote:

I think the real thing here is not having played the game.. it is that it is online only. It is a sparse experience. I do not like Ubisofts policy shift to making these games and that is what I was commenting on. Also I trust the critics view. If he thinks a game is a F I normally think it is a D. That is the point of review sites.
Getting back to the online only part. I have played the following online only games. Elder Scrolls online, Destiny, Battleborn, titanfall, rainbow6 seige, the crew. With the exception of Titanfall all of these games would have benefited from an offline game mode where you could just play the game. When the AI was good and you did not have to rent the game from a server. When the server goes down you no longer have a game.
So for me it is going from the reduced functionality of when they turned off the server and the MP no longer worked. Homefront springs to mind to the online games where when you turn off the server you have a coaster for you tea cup.

Hence the reason I will not be getting Steep. Plus from what I have heard the game is not very good at all.. not just from the critic.. though if I see it for £4 I might get it to have a look at it...

It's fair enough if people don't want to buy the game because it's online only. It's why I didn't buy it back when it came out. The next question is, "Is this game worth a rental? Is it worth 5 bucks during a flash sale about a year from now?" When he says, "the controls are a never ending challenge" and I remember that he thought Bloodborne was bad because it was too difficult. He even thought Shantae would have you going through continues by the dozen even though I know multiple people who beat it without dying once. Other than the always online component I have no reason to believe he gave Steep a bad score simply because he was bad at it. He asked for thoughts so there they are.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 14th, 2017, 9:45 am

MrLuck I see you are just a ray of light all over these forums.....

Rev

Postby Rev » February 14th, 2017, 11:14 am

Be more positive! Life is short. I can literally see a dark cloud hanging over you.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » February 16th, 2017, 10:51 am

Online icon has been added, now gotta help find all the games that need this icon added on....

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » February 17th, 2017, 2:03 am

matmico399 wrote:MrLuck I see you are just a ray of light all over these forums.....

Bwhahahaha yea just like the VGC right??!?! The same guy that hated games like Bloodborne and Wonderful 101?!?! God forbid I point out he gives bad scores to games he is bad at! I figured out Earthworm Jim as a child but he deserves more credibility because....he has a website I guess?

Moderator edit: We don't need long antagonistic posts that go way off topic. You can share your opinions on the VGC's grading habits and go into examples. Have a conversation about a game that you think was graded too harshly.but remember its just a fun hobby.

Return to “Review Feedback”