Should original Xbox review be updated to reflect its poor reliability?

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
MoarRipter

Should original Xbox review be updated to reflect its poor reliability?

Postby MoarRipter » February 18th, 2017, 5:42 pm

I suggest maybe your original Xbox review should be updated to reflect that console's poor reliability as it has aged. Both of my original Xbox consoles have developed an issue where they sometimes turn on by themselves when the power cable is connected and the power button doesn't function. Or the eject button acts as the power button in turning it off but then the system powers back on by itself. I believe I read on here a while back that yours VGC started doing the same thing. I've read online that it is an issue with the small logic board that contains the power/eject buttons, something to do with broken contact traces. I just find it odd that it seems to be a more prevalent issue as those consoles exceed the 10-15 year age. Also I've had to replace the CD drives in two of three (including a friend's) about five years ago because they wouldn't read discs, even after adjusting the pots on the drive to increase power to their lasers, as was suggested on a forum.

I'm curious, has anybody else noticed their original Xbox consoles starting to fail in the past five years as they have aged? I suspect the reliability of this console is not as good as was previously thought, should the review be updated to reflect that?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Should original Xbox review be updated to reflect its poor reliability?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2017, 8:33 pm

I think this is a great idea. I will try to update that review soon.
I think I need to revisit a lot of the old console reviews and I'm open to suggestions.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 18th, 2017, 8:58 pm

It's one reason why I keep hoping to see Microsoft roll out Xbox backwards compatibility on the Xbox One.

Not only should it not require recompiling to achieve unlike the complexity with Xbox 360 BC on the XB1 (Which hopefully means the entire library could be made compatible in one fell swoop with no downloading necessary), but HD rendering would look great on many Xbox games. Hopefully there would even be a mechanism to install old patches, although Xbox Live connectivity and probably old DLC like the original Xbox Live Arcade and Project Gotham Racing 2's booster packs would be out of the question.

Microsoft sounds open to the idea of Xbox backwards compatibility, so I keep hoping for something. Even something on a less grand scale would be great to see, if it progressed as rapidly as Xbox 360 BC has on the same system. Already up to almost 350 compatible games in just 19 months, they almost all run as good or better than they did on actual 360 hardware, and region locking is even lifted.

The original Xbox only ever got 1000 games or so. 350 well picked original Xbox games would go a long ways towards making original hardware a non-necessity for original Xbox gaming...

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » February 21st, 2017, 3:17 am

Well, this really opens up a can of worms once one considers that other consoles should also be evaluated in terms of their long-term reliability, even if all that is added to the reviews is a simple note about common longer-term technical challenges. If the Critic does add information about common hardware issues that are known to manifest over time (regardless of a few unusual cases of durability- there's of course always going to be the one Astrocade unit that doesn't get overheated or a Game Gear the works and sounds brand new despite consistent use, to think of a few examples), then perhaps links to sources of repair, parts, and technical information can be added. The console5 site comes to mind:

https://console5.com/store/kits.html

scotland

Postby scotland » February 21st, 2017, 8:34 am

Not really. I have shelves of 35 to 40 year old systems that are still working. Could you have to replace the caps? Okay - a pretty tiny investment. The NES may need a pin replacement, again, cheap fix. Those sound like very different issues to address than these issues with a 15 year old console.

strat

Postby strat » February 21st, 2017, 11:55 am

fwiw, a few years back I found an XB 2001 at a thrift store for 5 (five!) bucks. It boots up but won't read discs.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » February 21st, 2017, 4:06 pm

Wonder how much the problems with the "newer" systems are due to RoHS. I used to work in electronics manufacturing in the mid 90s to late 00s and becoming RoHS compliant was a major undertaking. Major issue with RoHS was the banning of lead in solder, the lead was added to prevent the growth of whiskers which could eventually short circuit the equipment.

Danger to lead-free electronics: tin whiskers

They've ruined missiles, silenced communications satellites and forced nuclear power plants to shut down. Pacemakers, consumer gadgets and even a critical part of a space shuttle have fallen victim.
The culprits? Tiny splinters — whiskers, they're called — that sprout without warning from tin solder and finish deep inside electronics. By some estimates, the resulting short-circuits have leveled as much as $10 billion in damage since they were first noticed in the 1940s.

Now some electronics makers worry the destruction will be more widespread, and the dollar amounts more draining, as the European Union and governments around the world enact laws to eliminate the best-known defense — lead — from electronic devices.

"The EU's decision was irresponsible and not based on sound science," said Joe Smetana, a principal engineer and tin whisker expert with French telecommunications equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent SA. "We're solving a problem that isn't and creating a bunch of new ones."

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2017, 7:08 pm

I went ahead and updated the Xbox system review, downgrading "durability" to a D. Take a look and let me know if that was fair.

http://videogamecritic.com/xboxinfo.htm

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » February 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm

Looks good Critic, thanks!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 11th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Atariboy wrote:It's one reason why I keep hoping to see Microsoft roll out Xbox backwards compatibility on the Xbox One.

Got my wish today during Microsoft's E3 presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5DWFrCNck

Don't mistake it as the announcement of a 1:1 replacement for a original Xbox. I'm sadly sure we'll still need an original Xbox just as diehard 360 fans still need a 360 despite Microsoft's backwards compatibility initiative on the XB1 that has made it the definitive way to enjoy hundreds of 360 games thanks to enhancements like smoother frame rates.

But for a significant chunk of the original Xbox library that hopefully will join the BC list, the XB1 should be an excellent way to enjoy them if 360 BC on the XB1 is any indication. Modern hardware, better controllers, HD rendering that will make original Xbox games look like they've been remastered almost, enhanced frame rates, the possibility of Xbox Live features being reactivated for select titles on the XB1, etc.

Nice to see that Microsoft understands that backwards compatibility matters to many.

Return to “Review Feedback”