2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9
Posts: 328
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 17th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Here is one more fun fact related with the first Fighting Vipers game, even though the western Sega Saturn versions where censored, (see links above for details.) The Arcade original, along with the later XBLA/PSN download versions are actually 100% uncut. And here are some interesting catches, it is one of the rare instances where a Japanese game with an underage sexulized characters age is unedited in all region despite being very common practice for western versions of Japanese games with the same situation. This is especially true if you are a YouTube watcher of Censored Gaming, which I do contributions BTW: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFItIX ... hJCHpbeV1A. But lets get to the even crazier catches, the 1996 Sega Saturn version in the US was rated T like most fighting games at the time save for Mortal Kombat type games in censored forum, but the later XBLA/PSN versions are rated E10+ 100% uncut save for the name change for the series most popular character Candy aka Honey in Japan. And the E10+ rating is no typo, the XBLA/PSN versions are rated E10+ from this link: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx ... g%20Vipers And if you noticed the Sega Saturn version has an ESRB content descriptor with Animted Blood, but the later version does not mention it even though it is in all versions of the game! Now for the even more crazy part if we have not open a large enough can of worms! The Japanese Sega Saturn release was given an All Ages green rating: https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/5/9/9/3599_front.jpg, but the later XBLA/PSN versions is rated CERO C 15+ for sexual content!: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ ... NGVIPERS00. Which in the CERO standards if you go by the ESRB standards is a High End T, but Lower Level M depending on the game, now that is absurd, becuase their is a large diffrences between E10+ and CERO C in terms of age rating gap/maturity, and it was rare enough for Japanese games with underage sexulized characters age being left unedited in the west, but getting a much lower age rating considering what often happens in the west, especially the US who are infamous for being less lenient to sexual content is generally unheard of! Not even the anti-censorship Xseed/Marvelous USA for the Senran Kagura series was safe from age censorship even with an M rating!

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 242
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Stalvern » March 17th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Stalvern, how so?

I think it's pretty self-evident.

Sonicx9
Posts: 328
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 17th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Stalvern, how so?

I think it's pretty self-evident.


The first and second I can somewhat understand, but the pretty link I saw nothing wrong with?

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 242
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Stalvern » March 17th, 2017, 3:59 pm

The camera's looking right up her skirt at a little bit of panty and a lot of skin. It's a textbook example of one of anime's most off-putting tropes. It's creepy, fetishistic voyeurism.

I'm done talking about this now. Ugh.

Sonicx9
Posts: 328
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 17th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Stalvern wrote:The camera's looking right up her skirt at a little bit of panty and a lot of skin. It's a textbook example of one of anime's most off-putting tropes. It's creepy, fetishistic voyeurism.

I'm done talking about this now. Ugh.


Now I know what you are talking about, but then again the game was made in Japan, and it is common in the world of Anime/Manga/Japanese made Video Games etc.

Kajicat
Posts: 5
Joined: February 24th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Kajicat » March 20th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Sonicx9 should have written the Fighting Vipers review instead of VGC! :D

I own the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers for Saturn. I love it, and feel it's superior to the U.S. version. Pepsi Man and no censorship! I also own the HD Model 2 arcade version that was released on PS3 (and Xbox 360). Great game, but I'll always prefer Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix over it.

Sonicx9
Posts: 328
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Kajicat wrote:Sonicx9 should have written the Fighting Vipers review instead of VGC! :D

I own the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers for Saturn. I love it, and feel it's superior to the U.S. version. Pepsi Man and no censorship! I also own the HD Model 2 arcade version that was released on PS3 (and Xbox 360). Great game, but I'll always prefer Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix over it.


I could potently wright reviews, but my skills for doing reviews are not as good as the critics/others.

I forgot, about the Japanese exclusive Pepsi Man character, that should be a good enough reason for critic to track down the Japanese version, as the character is cool looking and does look like something from Super Sentai aka Power Rangers for the westerners.

Here is a sample of the commercials/Japanese game play featuring Pepsi Man in Fighting Vipers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhCm0R9aSKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=autrrmHH3TU

It can either be a separate review, or it can update the main review with notes so people will be aware of the differences?
Last edited by Sonicx9 on March 20th, 2017, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alucard1191
Posts: 70
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Alucard1191 » March 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Stalvern wrote:The camera's looking right up her skirt at a little bit of panty and a lot of skin. It's a textbook example of one of anime's most off-putting tropes. It's creepy, fetishistic voyeurism.

I'm done talking about this now. Ugh.


Now I know what you are talking about, but then again the game was made in Japan, and it is common in the world of Anime/Manga/Japanese made Video Games etc.



Yes.... common and very unhealthy and sexist. Asian cultures are incredibly sexist, China has a major female infanticide problem. (2nd only to India) So these are things to think about and intellectually grow on.

Sonicx9
Posts: 328
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
Stalvern wrote:The camera's looking right up her skirt at a little bit of panty and a lot of skin. It's a textbook example of one of anime's most off-putting tropes. It's creepy, fetishistic voyeurism.

I'm done talking about this now. Ugh.


Now I know what you are talking about, but then again the game was made in Japan, and it is common in the world of Anime/Manga/Japanese made Video Games etc.



Yes.... common and very unhealthy and sexist. Asian cultures are incredibly sexist, China has a major female infanticide problem. (2nd only to India) So these are things to think about and intellectually grow on.


This is one thing that is very controversial in western countries in which many Japanese games often get censored for obvious reasons if it involves stuff like this. But keep in note that Japanese people are actually very conservative in real life compared to their entertainment. Meaning that you may see panty shots in many Japanese Anime/Manga/Video Games made in Japan, but the people act very differently because of cultural reasons. I know this as I went to Japan last year, and according to my tour guide, females are not allowed to dress skimpy in public because it can get them in trouble.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 242
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: 2017/3/16: Saturn: Fighting Vipers, Bulk Slash (Japan)

Postby Stalvern » March 20th, 2017, 10:27 pm

...You are really not helping your case here. That's even more sexist!


Return to “Review Feedback”