11/21/2006: PSP: Family Guy, Lumines, Twisted Metal Head-On

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » November 22nd, 2006, 6:19 am

I don't really disagree with the reviews themselves (don't have a PSP so can't really judge these), but I do want to weigh in on his comment that "Family Guy" is features more sophisticated humor than South Park.

I would disagree. South Park can fool you with its extreme, over the top presentation, but that in fact hides a very sophisticated show. They almost always say something very interesting and thought provoking with each episode (especially true after the first few seasons).

For example, there is an episode where Chef wants to ban the South Park flag, because the flag has (in usual South Park extreme presentation) a depiction of a lynching. Clearly a comment on the confederate flag issue in the south, the show goes a totally unexpected direction by the time it ends, and it really makes you think. Most South Park episodes are like this.

They do occasionally go over the line from time to time, but you have to be able to take that in order to appreciate the show.

I like Family Guy. But whereas South Park always has a story with definable beginnings, endings, and conclusions, Family Guy is a mash up of gags, with all of the various Peter Griffin "That Reminds Me Of The Time..." bits. The jokes are usually quite predictable, the sort of stuff I was used to hearing when I was in college. Still very funny, none-the-less.

South Park even did a whole two part episode lampooning Family Guy, where it was discovered that the show was actually written by manatees who randomly dropped balls with jokes in them down shoots in a water tank, which I thought was funny, since Family Guy is seemingly random.

Anyway, not to go on too long (too late!), I like Family Guy but I don't think it is more sophisticated than South Park.

-Rob

www.therobzone.com

Shawn

Postby Shawn » November 22nd, 2006, 9:21 am

Zookeeper was terrible! Wow! Find the three blocks in a row! I personally think the VGC's grades are highly erractic. I could play zookeeper for an hour and that was just for one game. It was too simplistic for me. I would give Zookeeper an easy D.

Now I am not suggesting I don't agree with the Critic's grade for Lumines, he is entitled to his opinion. I enjoyed the game and that is all that matters, right?

I just hate hearing all of these DS fanboys coming out of the woodworks and being like "this psp game sucks, I told you so!" If you haven't played the game  you should just shut up.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 22nd, 2006, 12:15 pm

Shawn-ummmm...I'm a DS fanboy? It really bugs me when people don't REALLY read a post, they see ONE line and jump on someone!

I SAID, I WANTED a PSP; I've been thinking of saving for one since I love portables in general. I think it had a weak start but now is easily as good as the DS. Also, as with most this system versus that system debates; apples and IBMs. Each system has strengths and weaknesses. DS is cheaper and has Nintendo exclusives and a touch screen; PSP is more powerful and has games more similiar to "real console" experiances.

Also on zookeeper; one reason I play games is to relax. I find many gamers are divided into either this camp or the need-to-be-challenged-every-second camp. (I guess that was me when I was younger). So it's easy; that's one reason I like it!

a0

Postby a0 » November 23rd, 2006, 4:42 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

I just hate hearing all of these DS fanboys coming out of the woodworks and being like "this psp game sucks, I told you so!" If you haven't played the game  you should just shut up.

[/QUOTE]

Shawn, I had a PSP game. So I can say by personal experience that Lumines isn't all that great. I'm not saying the system doesn't have other good games. I was completely addicted to Tony Hawk Underground 2 when I had it.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 23rd, 2006, 1:54 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]
I said I would probably agree with the critic on this PSP game because the sister game on the DS blows chunks.
Once again, where is this fanboy collective you and some other posters keep insisting on?  Alienblue said he wanted a PSP, the critic himself has given good grades to PSP games, Austin said Lumines was a B+, and a said he played the game and actually didn't like it.  Add to that that  my only strong comment here was that a DS game sucks hard and is over-rated, and I really wonder how this fanboy crap even still goes on around here.
Besides, here's the start of your post:
[QUOTE]Zookeeper was terrible! Wow! Find the three blocks in a row! I personally think the VGC's grades are highly erractic. I could play zookeeper for an hour and that was just for one game. It was too simplistic for me. I would give Zookeeper an easy D.[/QUOTE]
So it's being a fanboy if we diss the DS, if we diss the PSP, if we like the DS, or if we like the PSP, but you're not being a fanboy when every comment you make about the DS is negative (except when you say "I love the DS, but all of it's games suck and are over-rated")? Seems like an odd double standard to say the least.

"Nintendo fanboy conspiracy" believers:  I'm not pointing fingers, but you people know who you are, and you need to stop.  It's starting to look just a little bit crazy.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 24th, 2006, 4:30 am

Well said, AF! I keep saying, the fanboy thing is a MYTH on this site. I'm sure Atari and PS2 sites have fanboys, but most all of us here are multiple system owners.

People, PLEASE! I understand that if someone says "this (game) or (system) sux, there will be those who feel they must defend it (or the other way around, too). But do so INTELLIGENTLY and with your evidence to back it up. Nobody loves ALL games and ALL systems. Most of us diagree even with the VGC once in awhile. You have a right to free speech, but please don't abuse it! I certainly never do!

BTW, Mario pinballand sux!
(just MY opinion; one small screen at a time. Repetitive. Boring. controls crummy. Feels less like pinball than Sonic Spinball!)

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 24th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Personally I find the South Park humour much more sophisticated.  Every episode they put across good political points in a non insulting manner (something I often find with American comedy) and are very even handed - targeting both the liberals and conservatives fairly.  Even things like the way the shot lingers a bit too long on the church in the African village makes subtle points.

a1

Postby a1 » November 24th, 2006, 6:05 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Personally I find the South Park humour much more sophisticated.  Every episode they put across good political points in a non insulting manner (something I often find with American comedy) and are very even handed - targeting both the liberals and conservatives fairly.  Even things like the way the shot lingers a bit too long on the church in the African village makes subtle points.
[/QUOTE]

I lost a lot of respect for South Park after they did 4 episodes saying global warming doesn't exist. Even conservatives admit to the threat of global warming. What are they smoking? South Park used to have good political points, but lately it seems as though every political episode is the creators attempts to cash in on the latest current events. The show has steadily lost steam since the 6th season. Family Guy is by no means sophisticated, but at least it doesn't annoy me.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 24th, 2006, 6:17 pm

[QUOTE=a]

I lost a lot of respect for South Park after they did 4 episodes saying global warming doesn't exist. Even conservatives admit to the threat of global warming. What are they smoking? South Park used to have good political points, but lately it seems as though every political episode is the creators attempts to cash in on the latest current events. The show has steadily lost steam since the 6th season. Family Guy is by no means sophisticated, but at least it doesn't annoy me.

[/QUOTE]

I gained respect for South Park when they said that.  I don't think the issue was whether global warming is happening, as much as why it's happening, or if it's the catastrophe that many are making it out to be.

In the last two thousand years, we've had degree increases and decreases from century to century -- the largest were the medieval warming period (which is thought to be on average 3 to 5 degrees higher on average than we experience now).  During that time, even the now coldest parts of England were growing grapes for wine.  The end of the medieval warming period led to what is called the "Little Ice Age".  For several centuries, the global temperature lowered several degrees, causing a major change in the landscape, as well as a few famines.

I think most would admit that the temperature is about one degree higher than it was a century ago.  Even the Cato Institute, notoriously opposed to legislation around the issue, admits that.  But it's by no means comparable to the fact that the temperature just a century before that was about two degrees lower.  It's not the catastrophe it's made out to be, and that episode pointed that out.  Additionally, it's not without precedent even before the thoughts on modern pollution became popularized.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 25th, 2006, 2:22 am

Welcome to the Adult Animated Cartoon review board!

Actually, though I don't have cable now, I did when these shows came out. Family guy had me laughing my stitches out from the start; at first South Park was too crude for me, but I got into it and now I have several seasons of both shows on DVD. I never really noticed the politics in Southpark, it was just funny.

As to glabal warming; I am a science "hobbyist", I love science and read 100's of books on Paleontology AND astronomy. I'll just say this; it is true that throughtout it's 4 billion year history Earth has warmed and cooled, but it takes many hundreds of thousands of years for major differences to occur. We SHOULD be at the end of the last ice age right now, with cooler, not warmer, tempertures the norm. And we are pouring tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. To see the ultimate effect of CO2, just look at Venus. It is remarkably earth-like in size and surface, but it has a THICK CO2 atmosphere built up over millions of years (through NATURAL causes); now the surface is so hot (over 700 degrees F) it will melt lead; spacecraft landing there die after a few minutes. With man's thechnology, he could easily turn Earth into another venus in only a few HUNDRED years. I'm not taking sides, just stating facts!

Return to “Review Feedback”