2017/5/7: Playstation 4: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/5/7: Playstation 4: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 7th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Check out my Resident Evil 7 review.
I found this to be more scary than fun.

matmico399

Re: 2017/5/7: Playstation 4: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Postby matmico399 » May 7th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Solid review although I am sad to hear it's pretty mediocre. It really just does not sound fun.i enjoyed almost all the RE games leading up to the masterpiece that is 4. But since 4 something has just been missing. I have 5 and 6 but didn't even bother to finish them.

Capcom really needs to find a way to breathe new life into this series like they did with 4.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Saying this even as a big fan of RE1, I don't think Resident Evil games are supposed to be "fun" in that sense. It's not really the same kind of thing as many other games. Like, I wouldn't describe The Shining as a "fun" movie like I would Guardians of the Galaxy, even though both titles give me equivalent levels of enjoyment.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 7th, 2017, 4:29 pm

I don't know PT. Fun to me is always the number one factor when it comes to gaming. If you mean fun as in a happy, feel good time then okay. But RE4 is a blast and fun as hell to me, despite some tense moments. I think we just disagree on how peeps use the word fun. I found The Shining to be fun as well, but the Exorcist? Not fun but important.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » May 7th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Don't sell RE5 short...I bought the game on Steam with all the bells & whistles and played it all the through including the extras. I consider it as fun as RE4. I haven't played RE6 or the spin offs.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 7th, 2017, 8:15 pm

matmico399 wrote:Capcom really needs to find a way to breathe new life into this series like they did with 4.

This game was clearly their attempt to do just that, given the change to first-person perspective and the increased emphasis on horror. I personally quite enjoyed it for the most part, although I agree that the item interface is clunkier than it should be. What was wrong with just reusing the one from RE4?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 7th, 2017, 9:10 pm

The games series has pretty much been all down hill since resident evil code veronica.. and do not get me started on the average 4.The first res evil i did not finish.. twice!! Anyway could it be as bad as resident evil 0?

This one looks good fun. It also says to me ten bux!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 7th, 2017, 9:47 pm

I'm fine with Capcom trying to do something (anything) fresh with Resident Evil at this point. Honestly, after RE4 I stopped truly loving the series. I love RE4, but I don't love it the same way I like RE1-RE:CV. The lack of puzzles and focus on blockbuster style theatrics really bummed me out. I was pleased to hear that RE7 was going back to it's horror roots, but I'm not a fan of the 1st person perspective. I wish this had just been a whole new horror series that they created instead of lumping it in with RE. I'll probably try it once it hits the bargain bins around Halloween time.

Not to get this off track, but what's the word on Shinji Mikami's Evil Within? It got all kinds of mixed reviews when it came out and it's dirt cheap to pick up now. Is it worth $20?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 7th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Just to clarify about the "fun factor". The new Zelda (Breath of the Wild) is a game I've played just about every day since I got it. I have to force myself to stop playing.

Resident Evil 7 on the other hand is a game I felt like I had to force myself to play! Technically it's pretty good, but not the most enjoyable game. I think the fact that I often felt like a helpless spectator was part of it.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 7th, 2017, 10:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just to clarify about the "fun factor". The new Zelda (Breath of the Wild) is a game I've played just about every day since I got it. I have to force myself to stop playing.

Resident Evil 7 on the other hand is a game I felt like I had to force myself to play! Technically it's pretty good, but not the most enjoyable game. I think the fact that I often felt like a helpless spectator was part of it.

So it sounds like this game has scripted sequences which masquerade as a game. You have limited control of things when you feel like you should have much greater control to do something more. I'm guessing here, but this is what I believe the Critic is conveying. This sounds similar to Evil Within which JustlikeHeaven inquired about. I got frustrated with Evil Within and quit within an hour or so. The game severely handicaps the player in order to shape the narrative it wants to tell. Part of the problem is that it gives glimpses of what you as a player would see to be a more practical approach to solving the problems which the game does not deliver. You have to play the game essentially crippled when it would seem you shouldn't have to.

Return to “Review Feedback”