2017/7/5: Genesis: Air Diver, High Seas Havoc

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/7/5: Genesis: Air Diver, High Seas Havoc

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 5th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Check out my latest Genesis reviews and leave feedback!

Retro STrife

Re: 2017/7/5: Genesis: Air Diver, High Seas Havoc

Postby Retro STrife » July 6th, 2017, 11:21 am

Nice reviews..never heard of High Seas Havoc and it looks interesting. The price seems to vary wildly..like $20-$30 for loose copies, while hitting as high as $100 for a nice complete copy.

As for Air Diver... I notice that these old 16-bit and earlier in-cockpit flight games, like Air Diver and F-16 Fighting Falcon (reviewed a few weeks ago), always seem to be duds. I haven't played any, because they always look boring and too complicated to bother learning. But I wonder if the genre has always sucked, or if it just doesn't hold up well today? [Trivia note: When EGM reviewed Air Diver back in the day, three reviewers gave it a 7.0 and one gave it a 6.0.] I can't remember you ever reviewing one of these games that got better than a D...am I forgetting any good ones? Or any other reader have thoughts on any "classics" in the genre that still hold up well?

Sut

Postby Sut » July 6th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Or any other reader have thoughts on any "classics" in the genre that still hold up well?

I wouldn't classify it as a 'classic' but I enjoy G-Loc on the MegaDrive. It mixes up both views and has a funky scrolling effect for the ground. Like all games of this type it can get repetitive but it's fun in short bursts. Just avoid the 8-bit versions - not good.

https://segadoes.com/tag/g-loc/

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 6th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Nice reviews..never heard of High Seas Havoc and it looks interesting. The price seems to vary wildly..like $20-$30 for loose copies, while hitting as high as $100 for a nice complete copy.

As for Air Diver... I notice that these old 16-bit and earlier in-cockpit flight games, like Air Diver and F-16 Fighting Falcon (reviewed a few weeks ago), always seem to be duds. I haven't played any, because they always look boring and too complicated to bother learning. But I wonder if the genre has always sucked, or if it just doesn't hold up well today? [Trivia note: When EGM reviewed Air Diver back in the day, three reviewers gave it a 7.0 and one gave it a 6.0.] I can't remember you ever reviewing one of these games that got better than a D...am I forgetting any good ones? Or any other reader have thoughts on any "classics" in the genre that still hold up well?

I played the heck out of F-22 Interceptor for the Genesis. It wasn't too complicated and the primitive polygons were impressive for the time. But probably any early flight game on underpowered hardware will now seem dated.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 7th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I've owned Air Diver for close to a decade now but haven't really played it. I do have a weakness for polygonal flight sims like LHX Attack Chopper and VR Stalker (the latter on the 3DO), and I quite like sprite-scaling games too, but before the 32-bit era home consoles really struggled with both.

Return to “Review Feedback”