2017/7/22: NES: Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
mbd36

Re: 2017/7/22: NES: Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom

Postby mbd36 » July 24th, 2017, 10:59 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Ninja Gaiden 3 is the best version of the game for those who hate mandatory checkpoints - how dare they prevent you from replaying your favorite stages after each death? Especially if the completely optional password system killed your parents, and you've sworn revenge.

And hey, the more enemies you face, the better the level design, right? It's how Lucas improved Star Wars, and it's how Tecmo improved Ninja Gaiden.

But for the rest of us, it's a crude difficulty hack that should have been left as an optional bonus challenge.

Critic, any chance you'll be reviewing the original?

At least once the enemies in Ninja Gaiden 3 are dead, they stay dead. In that way the difficulty balances out, even with the increased enemy count. Also the larger sword means being able to attack them more easily. In Ninja Gaiden 2 there is no shortage of endlessly respawning enemies conveniently located to knock you into a pit.

A "cheap difficulty hack" would be like what Konami did with the driving stages in Bayou Billy. Ugh.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2017/7/22: NES: Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Glad to see all this discourse! I'm still learning about these games!
I think B- across the board is about right.

What is the "original" you speak of??

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 24th, 2017, 6:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What is the "original" you speak of??

The arcade game, which has almost nothing to do with the NES Ninja Gaiden. There were (terrible) ports for several home computers, but the only console releases I'm aware of are on the Lynx and as an unlockable bonus in Ninja Gaiden Black.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Actually my review of Ninja Gaiden for the Lynx is almost done.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 24th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Stalvern wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:What is the "original" you speak of??

The arcade game, which has almost nothing to do with the NES Ninja Gaiden. There were (terrible) ports for several home computers, but the only console releases I'm aware of are on the Lynx and as an unlockable bonus in Ninja Gaiden Black.

When I was a kid, there was a Ninja Gaiden arcade machine at a local Subway restaurant. I played it a few times but I never got far. It was a real quarter muncher.

The arcade game would be totally forgettable if it hadn't spawned the legendary NES games.

Return to “Review Feedback”