2017/9/4: 3DO: Twisted The Game Show

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/9/4: 3DO: Twisted The Game Show

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2017, 2:42 pm

This is a much-needed re-review. I originally gave this a C+ in 2001, but my tastes are far more discerning today.
I usually give FMV games the benefit of the doubt, but this has not aged well.
Comments?

goldenband

Re: 2017/9/4: 3DO: Twisted The Game Show

Postby goldenband » September 4th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Always glad to see more 3DO reviews, even if it's a re-review. I remember having a modest amount of fun with one of these sorts of games on the 3DO, but I don't recall if it was this or Zhadnost. (Probably it was Zhadnost.)

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 4th, 2017, 6:57 pm

A few errors in this one:

"Up to four player select" (players)

"Mr. Henke" (Hankey)

"in front of green screen" (a green screen)

"unscrambled-the-picture" (unscramble)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the typos.
I fixed those and also remembered to add the FMV icon.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 4th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Also, shouldn't there be a colon between "Twisted" and "The Game Show"? I didn't mention it earlier because I briefly thought for some reason that it was just how you format the site, but other games (including 3DO games) have colons where appropriate.
Last edited by Stalvern on September 5th, 2017, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffrob

Postby jeffrob » September 4th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Hey Critic,

Back in 2001, you gave Twisted the Game Show for 3DO a C+. Why now the demotion to F? I haven't found Twisted to be a terrible game... I've played it a couple of times with non-gamer friends that were over for a visit; each time, they stated it was "pretty fun." The game moves quite fast; with three folks, a whole game start-to-end lasts maybe 30 minutes. So, it doesn't wear out it's welcome (well, at least not too much).

Granted, none of my friends have begged to play a second time, but as an interesting one-time diversion, it's good for a few laughs, especially for folks that like their humor cheesy.

I bought my copy of Twisted back in December of 1996 for a mere $6 when Best Buy was clearing out all things 3DO. So if the budget for the game was $20 as you [facetiously] suggest, then all EA had to do to break even was sell 4 copies!

Cheers,

J. R.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 5th, 2017, 1:08 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is a much-needed re-review. I originally gave this a C+ in 2001, but my tastes are far more discerning today.
I usually give FMV games the benefit of the doubt, but this has not aged well.
Comments?

I don't know, Critic.. I'm a little bummed about this one. I think you had it right the first time. Based on your C+ grade and intriguing description, I bought this game about 10 years ago when I first got my 3DO. It sat unplayed for years. Finally, I played it for the first time earlier this year when I had friends over. (On that day, we also played Poy Poy for PS1, a game you raved about [with an A rating].) Between Poy Poy and Twisted, neither were great, but we preferred Twisted. Twisted was a decently fun diversion for the hour we played. I did a write-up of both games in the "Now Playing" section.. you should check it out for my full thoughts on Twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=202512&t=15591

As you'll see there, I thought it was worthy of a B range grade by 3DO standards. It has its flaws, but I appreciated it's uniqueness, at least for one or two games. Twisted is one of those games that's best played with a few beers and a couple friends who are just casual gamers, and who can laugh at the stupidity of it together. To each his own, of course..but still, an F seems like a harsh grade, since I think it's a game at least worth trying for 3DO gamers. To me, an F is a game to be completely avoided, whereas I think Twisted is worth a shot.

GTS

Postby GTS » September 5th, 2017, 7:02 am

I respect the Critic's opinion, but I have to disagree with it. In the spectrum of 3DO games this one is a B easily. Me and my friends played it as a party game back in the days. Those little commercials are SUPPOSED to be cheesy btw. Granted, the minigames are forgettable, but I love the overall level of goofiness.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I played this game with a few friends recently and it was pretty dreadful. Granted, it would probably be better if you're drinking and in a goofy mood. Maybe my friends weren't in the right frame of mind. Maybe we weren't being competitive enough.

But it's the games themselves that really fall flat. Very unimaginative - and that torture wheel really lived up to its name!

Based on feedback I think I need to give this another chance. Until then I do give respect to gamers who can find goodness in a game like this!

GTS

Postby GTS » September 5th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Well, at least you reviewed it twice, so you've given it a lot of thought. We honestly need more F's; keeps everything balanced out. If it were up to us fans, every game on this site would either be an A or a B. Just look at some of the user scores. Even Altered Beast gets a B+. Those are some rose-tinted glasses people. :)

Return to “Review Feedback”