2017/9/26: Nintendo 64: Paperboy

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/9/26: Nintendo 64: Paperboy

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2017, 8:13 pm

I never knew this existed until just a few weeks ago. It's a real curiosity. Comments?

Stalvern

Re: 2017/9/26: Nintendo 64: Paperboy

Postby Stalvern » September 27th, 2017, 2:34 am

I saw "Nintendo 64: Paper..." in the forum index and assumed that you had reviewed Paper Mario. Was I in for a surprise!

I kinda want to play this game. I'm sure that it's terrible, but it seems like it's an intriguing kind of terrible that's worth experiencing firsthand.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 27th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Yes curious about this one, I used to really enjoy Paperboy on my Speccy. Kinda like the open street idea, although it sounds poorly implemented.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2017, 6:10 pm

I think you guys have the right idea. It's not a very good game but kind of fascinating in a weird way.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 27th, 2017, 7:05 pm

I liked the review. Always find the bad games a good time to read as your personality comes out a lot more in those. And I agree, this game is really bad.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 28th, 2017, 7:52 am

Yeah as others mentioned, this is one of the few D reviews that makes me actually want to play the game. I've enjoyed Paperboy since playing it on the NES as a kid -- especially since being a real paper boy seemed like a glamourous job at that age! So the open world, aiming ability, and lightened difficulty actually sound like nice bonuses to me. Even if poorly implemented, I'd still like to see it firsthand. Fortunately I already own this one, but I've always ignored it and didn't realize that it had all those features. I'll definitely have to pull it off the shelf sometime.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 3rd, 2017, 5:45 am

I never knew this existed. The review sheds like on an undiscovered turd. PB was and interesting game. A new take on the isometric genre. In the arcades it had the gimmick of the handle bars. Remember when Atari were back and better than ever?

This game looks totally trash. So thanks for the warning. The N64 was very limited in what it could do in comparison to the superior Ps1 and the inferior Saturn (ok the Saturn was inferior to pretty much everything). I had one and cannot remember any good games on it. No wait, it had a great original version of Doom. Though the ending was a bit mean.

Oh off to play the awesome MCC on the Xbox1. I am still playing it two years after getting the game. So much better than the squalid micro transaction monstrosity that was Halo 5.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 3rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:I never knew this existed. The review sheds like on an undiscovered turd. PB was and interesting game. A new take on the isometric genre. In the arcades it had the gimmick of the handle bars. Remember when Atari were back and better than ever?

This game looks totally trash. So thanks for the warning. The N64 was very limited in what it could do in comparison to the superior Ps1 and the inferior Saturn (ok the Saturn was inferior to pretty much everything). I had one and cannot remember any good games on it. No wait, it had a great original version of Doom. Though the ending was a bit mean.

Oh off to play the awesome MCC on the Xbox1. I am still playing it two years after getting the game. So much better than the squalid micro transaction monstrosity that was Halo 5.

Umm... not to poke a bit at you, but the Saturn Library is genuinely great as has a lot of really really good games. Panzer Dragoons 1, 2, and Saga. Virtua Cop 1+2, light gun games in general are fantastic on the Saturn. There are a lot of exclusive RPGs that are great, (Shining Force III and Dragonforce to name 2) and it is often considered the best for 2D games of those three, for both shooters and platformers.

And as someone played all these systems extensively, mario 64 looks better than 95% of PS1 games. You could make an argument for final fantasy 8 or 9, arguably the pinnacle of PS graphics, look a little better than mario 64 or Zelda. And often playing bad games, like watching bad movies, makes you appreciate good things.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 5th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Apologies I was talking about the n64 but now I remember the wealth of great titles on it. It was a superb gaming platform. Blastcorps. Duke nukem, zelda, mario kart. The list was so good.

Then for the Saturn, burning rangers, nights, baku baku animal.. virtual cop .. house of the dead
Two great systems. I was in the start of a cold. Now I have the cold. So I can think again.

Two fab systems.

Back to the review. It looks so bad. If I had a n64 still I would see if I could get it just to play it. It looks dire. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Review Feedback”