2017/11/17: Sega CD: Revenge of the Ninja, Starblade

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/11/17: Sega CD: Revenge of the Ninja, Starblade

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Here's a new pair of Sega CD reviews you're sure to enjoy!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2017/11/17: Sega CD: Revenge of the Ninja, Starblade

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 18th, 2017, 9:05 am

You might get a kick out of this game, critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL9GyISJ2uU

I wish there were more anarchistic oddities like Starblade. Console 3d was always one generation behind what they were trying to achieve. We could have had perfect wireframe driving simulations in 16 bit, and silky smooth, high resolution, flat-shaded polygons in 32bit.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 19th, 2017, 12:42 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:I wish there were more anarchistic oddities like Starblade. Console 3d was always one generation behind what they were trying to achieve. We could have had perfect wireframe driving simulations in 16 bit, and silky smooth, high resolution, flat-shaded polygons in 32bit.

Hey, I like the arcade Virtua Racing too, but I'm not going to pretend that textured 3D on home systems was somehow a step too far in the '90s. Nobody in their right mind would say that the PlayStation Ridge Racer bit off more than it could chew by being textured, even if it didn't quite stand up to the arcade version.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 19th, 2017, 3:06 am

I never said I wanted to completely replace the libraries we received. There were many early 3d games that wouldn't work without textures to provide their character - Silent Hill would look ridiculous, if it were done like an early Alone in the Dark.

Only that I just wish there were more retro games that fully explored the potential of the early visual styles.

Just to have a break from all the bad frame rates, severe texture warping and N64 smear. (Removing that smear and replacing it with individual pixels the size of a toaster isn't the substitute I had in mind.)

Few 3d games from the generations before the Dreamcast still hold up, visually. And most of those few were modest, in design, and kept the system limitations in mind.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 19th, 2017, 10:42 am

I never had a mega cd. I always wanted one. It is a shame that sega does not release the games on a compilation.

Starblade looks fantastic. I like the wire frame inclusion for when there are two many polygons on screen for it to run smoothly. An inspired choice by Namco.

Return to “Review Feedback”