2017/11/19: Nintendo Switch: Sine Mora EX, Super Mario Odyssey

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/11/19: Nintendo Switch: Sine Mora EX, Super Mario Odyssey

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2017, 11:53 am

These are two big reviews! Let me know what you think.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: 2017/11/19: Nintendo Switch: Sine Mora EX, Super Mario Odyssey

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 19th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Those are good reviews. My main concern with Mario Odyssey is still the same, though. With the sheer number of stars they give you to collect, do you think the game has enough lasting appeal to make you find all of them, or are you going to get bored with it midway through?

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 19th, 2017, 7:39 pm

I just "finished" Mario Odyssey so your review is timely. I got to say, no way in the world would I rate this an A+. It's a great game, but it has many issues. Namely, the game has ZERO challenge. The boss battles are derivative and lack any challenge or originality. Also, I found the stages well designed but not as epic or grand as eluded to in your review. Searching for the moons is a lot of fun to advance to the next level, but what is the point (beyond exploration) to go back and look for more moons once you have finished the game? If you just search for the required amount of moons you can wrap it all up in about 10 hours or so and I don't know how much replay value the game has. Honestly, I would rate the game somewhere around a B+/A-. Perhaps I was influenced by all the hype I heard about the game before I picked it up and I was just expecting more. Now that being said I enjoyed the ability to "hijack" your enemies and use their abilities in a clever fashion. The graphics are great and in general the controls were very good. Don't get me wrong, every Switch owner needs to get this game but I am not sure I would place it alongside other classics like Mario 3.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 19th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Speedrunners are really enjoying this game. Different categories for the minimum number of moons to get to Bowser, 500 moons, and 100%. I believe the world record to beat it is around 1:09.

But I agree that many of the moons aren’t hidden very creatively.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 20th, 2017, 12:35 am

newmodelarmy wrote:I just "finished" Mario Odyssey so your review is timely. I got to say, no way in the world would I rate this an A+. It's a great game, but it has many issues. Namely, the game has ZERO challenge. The boss battles are derivative and lack any challenge or originality. Also, I found the stages well designed but not as epic or grand as eluded to in your review. Searching for the moons is a lot of fun to advance to the next level, but what is the point (beyond exploration) to go back and look for more moons once you have finished the game? If you just search for the required amount of moons you can wrap it all up in about 10 hours or so and I don't know how much replay value the game has. Honestly, I would rate the game somewhere around a B+/A-. Perhaps I was influenced by all the hype I heard about the game before I picked it up and I was just expecting more. Now that being said I enjoyed the ability to "hijack" your enemies and use their abilities in a clever fashion. The graphics are great and in general the controls were very good. Don't get me wrong, every Switch owner needs to get this game but I am not sure I would place it alongside other classics like Mario 3.

I have to disagree with you, on the challenge. Yes, its easy to get to the "end," but the moons that you get after the game are where the real challenge lies. For example, the last two moon levels are insanely challenging! Also, part of the fun (at least for me) is finding all of the purple coins in each kingdom, the sub levels without cappy, etc. I'm sitting at 645 moons, and I'm still having a blast. It's not perfect (controls and camera could always use some work), but it has so much content, so many unique things to do, and that "just a little bit longer" quality to it that it merits an A+, at least in my opinion.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 20th, 2017, 1:45 am

Is it possible to disagree with a review without ever playing the game??

Just kidding... I know I've probably been annoying with my hate for all the "A+", "10 out of 10", "best game ever" reviews for Super Mario Odyssey, despite not personally playing the game.. sorry about that, but I was burned by the same over-hype for Super Mario Galaxy and I guess I still can't let it go... I gave the Galaxy games each a fair chance -- played and beat both -- and consider them just B-range games, and nowhere near as fun as the NES and SNES Mario games. In fact, at one point I got so bored with Galaxy 1 that I stopped playing it for almost a year before forcing myself to finish it.

Normally I might say the problem is me, but, come to think of it, I bet most of the people that did the "best game ever" hype for the Galaxy games would not still give them that title today..and might not even rank them in their personal top 10. [For example, VGC gave Galaxy 2 an A+ in 2010, and yet did not list it anywhere on his Top 50 Games special in 2016.] While still well regarded, it seems to me that the Galaxy games have not had elite staying power in the conscience of gamers (IMO, no Mario game has since Super Mario 64). And that speaks volumes - you're simply not remotely in the realm of "best game ever" if you can't do that. So unfortunately, Galaxy's overhype has left me unable to trust the Odyssey hype. It all seems like another temporary high to me.

I will definitely play Odyssey whenever I get a Switch, and I hope it lives up to the reviews, but I'm not buying the hype until I experience it firsthand. In the famous words of George W. Bush, "There's an old saying ... fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again!"

Voor

Postby Voor » November 20th, 2017, 11:03 am

Lol. Galaxy is like 10 years old. Let it go dude. Lol.

And of course reviews are subjective. Don’t take it so personally.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 20th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Voor wrote:Lol. Galaxy is like 10 years old. Let it go dude. Lol.

Haha, no way.. "Curse you Super Mario Galaxy!" will be my last words when I go, no matter what you say. But fair enough, to a degree... Although I don't know about all this "reviews are subjective" stuff dude. That logic is fine for the Critic's reviews--he says himself that they are based on his preferences. I'm ok with his A+. But the mainstream gaming media is supposed to be objective with their reviews. The fact that they are subjective is the problem, not the norm.

Also, while I probably could have written it better, my point in my last post actually has nothing to do with Super Mario Galaxy. It was not a post about how Super Mario Galaxy destroyed my life... Instead, my post was all about how I size up Odyssey. I just used Galaxy as an example of past history, since past history is the best indicator of a future result. I was analogizing Galaxy then to Odyssey now. Point is, based on how Galaxy was hyped as the best game ever, I think it's a fair point to be skeptical of all the "10 out of 10" "best game ever" hype for Odyssey, and to wonder about Odyssey's longevity at the top.

And for some reason I feel the need to clarify this- but I'm not bashing Mario games. My problem is with Mario reviews, and the fact that no professional critic in the world has the guts to give it any less than a 9.5, out of fear for the backlash. I'm sure many of the 10's are based on legit feelings, but I also think many just do it to play it safe.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Voor wrote:Lol. Galaxy is like 10 years old. Let it go dude. Lol.

Haha, no way.. "Curse you Super Mario Galaxy!" will be my last words when I go, no matter what you say. But fair enough, to a degree... Although I don't know about all this "reviews are subjective" stuff dude. That logic is fine for the Critic's reviews--he says himself that they are based on his preferences. I'm ok with his A+. But the mainstream gaming media is supposed to be objective with their reviews. The fact that they are subjective is the problem, not the norm.

Where did you learn to fly? I have not got to say that for ages. That was an A+ game.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 20th, 2017, 7:08 pm

So the trend continues. A plus games from Nintendo. Games that every gamer knows are a 10 out of 10. Then there are the third party releases which everyone says are lacklustre.
Good news for all you switch owners the game to buck this trend is out. With none other than that amazing game just dance 2018. Lol.
Okay have not played SMo but it looks good.

Sine mora i played on 360 and I got it for about £3 on download. I was okay and what your review shows is that they learned nothing after releasing on my last system. They did a reboot on the bone and I was like why bother, it is an average game. A year later is out on the switch and it is average. Hmmmm

Return to “Review Feedback”