Book review: Art of Atari

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Book review: Art of Atari

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Got this book for Christmas last year and I love it. Comments?

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/books/artofatari.htm

Retro STrife

Re: Book review: Art of Atari

Postby Retro STrife » November 20th, 2017, 6:52 pm

I really enjoyed this book too, and second the recommendation, even for gamers who aren't big Atari fans. Your review makes a great point about how the box art set the tone for the games. Even with the rudimentary Atari graphics, all it took was great box art and a little imagination and you could picture a whole world surrounding the little dots on the screen. VGC, your passion for that experience comes through in your review and made it great to read.

As I've said before about this book, I find the title a bit misleading. Honestly, I feel like the art is only like 50% or less of the book. The rest is the history and the games and the systems and so on... all with tons of text to read. And I say that as a good thing. Because the title originally led me to believe that it would just be a big book of photos and artwork, but it's actually much much more than that.

LuckyWDFN

Re: Book review: Art of Atari

Postby LuckyWDFN » November 20th, 2017, 7:49 pm

I loved this book too. I think it's worth it just for the marketing flyers and info on all the rare (even unseen) prototypes and cabinets. The author even released another book of just the game art posters where you can just clip them, frame them, and hang them. It's a great coffee table book that I still pick up from time to time but the real value is in the minutiae the Atari geeks, like me, crave.

Return to “Review Feedback”