2017/11/26: Playstation Vita: Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/11/26: Playstation Vita: Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors (Japan)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It's been a while since I've posted a Vita review, but there hasn't been too many good original games for that system.
If you have any suggestions let me know.

Sonicx9

Re: 2017/11/26: Playstation Vita: Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors (Japan)

Postby Sonicx9 » November 26th, 2017, 3:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's been a while since I've posted a Vita review, but there hasn't been too many good original games for that system.
If you have any suggestions let me know.

Here is one that is worth checking out, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGSpLEmybU NSFW content. But be warned the English physical version is rather expensive and rare. This is the only easy affordable ways to get it.: https://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/ ... ion/114999

I would do more recommendations, but most of the original exclusive games are JRPGS which are not your cup of tea in general.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 26th, 2017, 4:23 pm

You might like Rogue Legacy. It's like a parody of Symphony of the Night. The difficulty is cranked up, and you play a family of demon slayers who meet their horrifying ends in a castle of chaos. But whatever you gain, carries over to your descendants - it's a power rush when everything finally clicks. Especially with the extra layer of strategy, in each generation - which random descendants will you choose? It can be anything from a powerful barbarian queen who is terrified of chickens, to a fragile but deadly near sighted ninja assassin who feels no pain.

It's great for short bursts of play, while still remaining relatively deep.

Also great for short bursts is TxK, Jeff Minter's ridiculously over the top Tempest 2k sequel. No words can do it's arcade aesthetic justice. You've got to see a screenshot to believe it, but somehow, the effects never get in the way of gameplay.

If you want something that actually pushes the Vita a bit, try Ys VIII - it's supposed to be the best in the series.

Dead or Alive 5+ is the best fighting game on the platform, and shames the rest. It's also a cross-over with Virtua Fighter, and without emulation, the closest you can get to a portable game in that franchise.

Sonic All Stars Racing is another must, if you don't mind the occasional frame hiccup. Since I'm exclusively a portable gamer, I didn't even notice, but it might be a deal breaker for purists. There's also a ridiculous difficulty spike half way through, if you haven't mastered the boost mechanics. Beyond that, this is the open blue skies fun of Sega at their best.

Also, you might want to get the import version of Darius for PSP. It's the same game, but size isn't an issue, if you don't mind the lower screen resolution.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 26th, 2017, 5:34 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:You might like Rogue Legacy. It's like a parody of Symphony of the Night. The difficulty is cranked up, and you play a family of demon slayers who meet their horrifying ends in a castle of chaos. But whatever you gain, carries over to your descendants - it's a power rush when everything finally clicks. Especially with the extra layer of strategy, in each generation - which random descendants will you choose? It can be anything from a powerful barbarian queen who is terrified of chickens, to a fragile but deadly near sighted ninja assassin who feels no pain.

It's great for short bursts of play, while still remaining relatively deep.

Also great for short bursts is TxK, Jeff Minter's ridiculously over the top Tempest 2k sequel. No words can do it's arcade aesthetic justice. You've got to see a screenshot to believe it, but somehow, the effects never get in the way of gameplay.

If you want something that actually pushes the Vita a bit, try Ys VIII - it's supposed to be the best in the series.

Dead or Alive 5+ is the best fighting game on the platform, and shames the rest. It's also a cross-over with Virtua Fighter, and without emulation, the closest you can get to a portable game in that franchise.

Sonic All Stars Racing is another must, if you don't mind the occasional frame hiccup. Since I'm exclusively a portable gamer, I didn't even notice, but it might be a deal breaker for purists. There's also a ridiculous difficulty spike half way through, if you haven't mastered the boost mechanics. Beyond that, this is the open blue skies fun of Sega at their best.

Also, you might want to get the import version of Darius for PSP. It's the same game, but size isn't an issue, if you don't mind the lower screen resolution.

These would have been good choices but here is the big problem, many of these are either download only games as the critic prefers physical games mind you, like Rogue Legacy which is also on PS3/PS4/Xbox One/PC alongside PS Vita, TxK is also download only, or games on the other systems Ys VIII is on PS4/PC, Dead or Alive 5+ update content got ported to the PS3/Xbox 360 under the name Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate and later PS4/Xbox One/Xbox 360/PS3/PC under the second update named Dead or Alive 5 Last Round. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is on PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U/3DS/PC/iOS/Android alongside the PS Vita.

Most of the original exclusive games are JRPGS which are not the critics cup of tea in general.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 27th, 2017, 3:44 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Also great for short bursts is TxK, Jeff Minter's ridiculously over the top Tempest 2k sequel. No words can do it's arcade aesthetic justice. You've got to see a screenshot to believe it, but somehow, the effects never get in the way of gameplay.

Screenshots are about as useful as words. This game calls for a video.

This is a bit of a tangent, but since the Critic has a 360, I might as well additionally recommend the ultimate Jeff Minter experience.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » November 27th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Unfortunate a two screen wide game doesn't translate well to a portable system. Galloping Ghost Arcade has a Dariusburst and it is quite popular on the arcade floor.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 27th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Damn. Not sure how I missed the "original". Apologies for the brain fart.

Critic, if I donated the price of a few of the better downloadable portable games, so you lose nothing at all by owning them, any chance they would join your review queue?

Return to “Review Feedback”