Worst 50 Games of All Time!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ESauce

Re: Worst 50 Games of All Time!

Postby ESauce » January 23rd, 2018, 1:53 pm

This article came out today. Seems relevant to this list

http://www.cracked.com/article_25158_5- ... roken.html

Tim

Postby Tim » January 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

Fun list VGC but now I think you may need to revise some of your reviews! For example, you declare Batman Forever to be the worst Genesis title ever, yet it sits above Bubsy 1&2, Fighting Masters and Heavy Nova. (Personally I would say Fantasia deserves a place, since it blatantly wasn’t even finished properly and is barely playable on some levels.) Also your Superman 64 review implies that you DON’T think it’s one of the worst video games ever! Still, always good fun reading another gamer’s choices of best/worst “classic” games.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

CharlieR wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Fun list, but I can’t understand the inclusion of monster hunter...it sounds to me like you just couldn’t get into it...for what it’s worth, I’m one of the people who put hundreds of hours into it.

Allow me to try to explain, as I think I know why.

I believe this is due to the authenticity of the critic. I'd say it's his personal list. I remember reading that he judges games based on his personal gut feeling, not to cater to what all the review sites and fans say. A lot of review sites and fans love the game. My cousin plays it for hours, and it does seem like the type of game I could get into, it just seems very involved.

If that were true, wouldn't it limit the usefulness of the reviews? There has to be some sense of the objectively good and the objectively bad.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

Of course if Dave’s list and his opinion. But how Karate on the 2600 didn’t get in the top 5 I have no idea. I had a friend back in school who purchased it. He got so mad after about 2 minutes he yanked it out of the console and threw it against a wall shattering it. Yeah he had anger management issues. He was like “ I paid money for that crap!” After he calmed down I informed him he now couldn’t return or exchange it. He went over and stomped it into a million pieces. Lol. Yeah we are no longer friends, prob for the best........

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 23rd, 2018, 5:09 pm

ptdebate wrote:If that were true, wouldn't it limit the usefulness of the reviews? There has to be some sense of the objectively good and the objectively bad.

There are plenty of reviews where the Critic says that he doesn't enjoy a game but can at least recognize why someone else might. They mostly have C grades and a few Ds, and he often tells readers to raise the grade a letter if the game specifically appeals to them in some way. With Monster Hunter III, he finds practically every element and detail of the game lacking at best and awful at worst, giving specific reasons why. He does believe that the game is "objectively bad", which is why he put it on the list. Objectivity isn't deference to a fanbase.

I haven't played the game myself, so I'm in no position to affirm or refute his actual points - and if he could write that practically fabricated Flink review that still blights the Sega CD section, I'm open to the idea that his points can be refuted here - but you can't say that he hasn't argued his case.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 23rd, 2018, 6:49 pm

matmico399 wrote:Of course if Dave’s list and his opinion. But how Karate on the 2600 didn’t get in the top 5 I have no idea. I had a friend back in school who purchased it. He got so mad after about 2 minutes he yanked it out of the console and threw it against a wall shattering it. Yeah he had anger management issues. He was like “ I paid money for that crap!” After he calmed down I informed him he now couldn’t return or exchange it. He went over and stomped it into a million pieces. Lol. Yeah we are no longer friends, prob for the best........

I hope that wasn't the original Ultravision version that he destroyed, lol.

GTS

Postby GTS » January 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

Thank you for not putting ET on the list. The Internet consensus on that one has always been wrong.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 23rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Well if generating interest is a gauge of success, I'd say my top 50 worst list was a HIT!

I think most of you realize there is some context and nuance involved in my choices. Most of your explanations are correct. For example, the Spirit of Speed is actually a pretty accurate portrayal of cars of the early 1900's.

Karate was a throwaway title (with large characters being its selling point), but Worms Forts was built on a proud franchise - one of the greatest 2D games of all time! No excuses there.

When you're talking about the worst games of all time, ordering is like splitting hair. I could have poured over the ordering for months but at some point you just have to cut bait and ship it.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 23rd, 2018, 10:04 pm

Karateka needs to be on that list. The worst game on the 7800 and it had a few not very good games on it. Shuffle shuffle death. Recently I watched a walk through of the game. The guy was really good and he beat the game in 7 minutes. Good ending though and for the time the graphics were top notch. Completely let down by awful game play and controls.

Yeah it is a real hit. Great list and great comments.

I know the critic is not going to agree but i quite liked Buzby on the Jag.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » January 24th, 2018, 10:52 am

Damn Straight, Worms Fort should be the worst game ever made.. Mainly I had no problem with Worms 3D because it seemed like a good concept with a poor camera, But Worms Forts pushed things WAY too far and made it impossible to keep your camera focused.. Mainly Worms Forts is why I quit liking Worms until Worms Battlegrounds was released.

If the Critic wants a Good worms games with Forts, Either Open Warfare 2 on Nintendo DS or Worms W.M.D. on PS4/Xbox One, These two modern games use the 2D view that classic worms game used along with modern visuals and even more zany weapons. :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Review Feedback”