2018/1/27: Nintendo Switch: I Am Setsuna (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate

Re: 2018/1/27: Nintendo Switch: I Am Setsuna (Japan)

Postby ptdebate » January 27th, 2018, 4:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I complained about Chrono's save system in my DS review, but the original game is 20+ years old so we can cut it some slack.
I wouldn't have affected my progress. If anything, the lack of save points kept me playing long after I had lost interest.

Outside of the lousy save system this feels nothing like Chrono Trigger. The battle system is terrible.
It may have been "based" on the same system, but it is not the same.

Understood. Thank you for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and pass on this one.

Sometimes new games that adhere too much to the formulas of old classics don't review well because some of those formulas, taken out of their original context, reveal themselves to be not very fun, even if the games have other strengths.

Looks like this is a case where some of those traditions (such as the save system) don't really belong in a modern game.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » January 27th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this one but that doesn't phase me. Your review seemed to describe a generic classic RPG, which is exactly what I want. I don't necessarily need it to do anything special, just as long as it does what it does well enough. This, Lost Sphear (which from what I've seen, looks like an improvement over I Am Setsuna), and Dragon Quest XI are the only Square games I'm looking forward to playing. Just need to get me a Switch...

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 27th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Please play Skyrim next. I have already stuck 11 days of gaming into the remaster. Liking so much I have also been playing it on my 360. So pretty please play that one next. It will be good too see how u are going to get the 100 plus hours to review it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 27th, 2018, 9:50 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:Please play Skyrim next. I have already stuck 11 days of gaming into the remaster. Liking so much I have also been playing it on my 360. So pretty please play that one next. It will be good too see how u are going to get the 100 plus hours to review it.

The Critic already reviewed Skyrim for the 360. He scored it a "B."

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 27th, 2018, 10:09 pm

ptdebate wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:Please play Skyrim next. I have already stuck 11 days of gaming into the remaster. Liking so much I have also been playing it on my 360. So pretty please play that one next. It will be good too see how u are going to get the 100 plus hours to review it.

He may want to review the Nintendo Switch version as he has not played that game in over 5 years old, and the Nintendo Switch version does included all the DLC/up to date patches from the vanilla version+ improvements from the special edition in the mix, here is the Digital Foundry coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqR58L9oEOc, so a review on that version would not be a bad idea as it is a huge improvement from the PS3/Xbox 360 editions.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 27th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Does the "save" system even matter on the Switch? If you're going back and forth between games I get it. But I've found I can set mine to sleep mode and Mario is exactly where he was when I went into the home menu. Is I Am Setsuna any different in that regard?

This might be a stupid question as so far I've only picked up Mario but it seems to have a pretty good suspend mode (or at least the Switch does). I could be assuming things too much and if so apologies in advance.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 27th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

He may want to review the Nintendo Switch version as he has not played that game in over 5 years old, and the Nintendo Switch version does included all the DLC/up to date patches from the vanilla version+ improvements from the special edition in the mix, here is the Digital Foundry coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqR58L9oEOc, so a review on that version would not be a bad idea as it is a huge improvement from the PS3/Xbox 360 editions.

Not a bad idea, but the Critic does not generally review two different versions of the same game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2018, 11:09 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Does the "save" system even matter on the Switch? If you're going back and forth between games I get it. But I've found I can set mine to sleep mode and Mario is exactly where he was when I went into the home menu. Is I Am Setsuna any different in that regard?

This might be a stupid question as so far I've only picked up Mario but it seems to have a pretty good suspend mode (or at least the Switch does). I could be assuming things too much and if so apologies in advance.

In general, you are right. But I am also reviewing Mario and Rabbids.
Plus if you've been playing a game for 2 hours you want the piece of mind of knowing it actually saved.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 28th, 2018, 7:08 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:Does the "save" system even matter on the Switch? If you're going back and forth between games I get it. But I've found I can set mine to sleep mode and Mario is exactly where he was when I went into the home menu. Is I Am Setsuna any different in that regard?

In general, you are right. But I am also reviewing Mario and Rabbids.
Plus if you've been playing a game for 2 hours you want the piece of mind of knowing it actually saved.

I can't argue with either of these statements. While I love (seriously, LOVE) the Switch's ability to go into sleep mode, and immediately reboot to exactly where I left off, the Critic is right, it doesn't work when switching between games. If you're only playing one game at a time (say, if you were trying to finish I Am Setsuna all at once, or if it were the only game you owned) then this function is a godsend. It reminds me of the Nintendo DS, and how you can just close the lid on the system to suspend / freeze the game play of a DS game. Nice to see a great idea like that was passed forward to the Switch!

In a similar situation to what the Critic mentioned, my wife has been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild lately, and I always assumed she saved her progress when she was done playing. While the game does autosave like mad, she had put it to sleep one night right when she started a boss fight, thinking she'd pick it right back up the next time she played. Of course, I had to go and kick her out of the game when I wanted to play Splatoon the next day, and while she didn't lose much progress, she still had to backtrack a bit to her last legit save point.

I can only imagine how much of a chewing-out I would have gotten if her last save was several hours before that point...

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 28th, 2018, 11:52 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

Not a bad idea, but the Critic does not generally review two different versions of the same game.

Check out Doom before you say that again. 3do, jag and snes versions. Zaxxon, coleco, xges and 2600 versions reviewed. Though I liked them.
It is the first portable version of the game. Also it does have all the dlc. Which gives the game an extra 40 hours game play.
Hearthfire allows you to build houses and furnish them.
You get to dragon ride in Dragonborn you get to fly a dragon well it gives you the ability to fly all of the dragons. Also you get a huge new area to play in. Lastly you can either be a werewolf or vampire. Though you can catch vampirism in the game. The new version allows you to become a fully fledged vampire Also you get to fly a little. Which is a lot of fun.

Return to “Review Feedback”