2018/3/9: Atari 2600: Chuck Norris Superkicks

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/3/9: Atari 2600: Chuck Norris Superkicks

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 9th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Check out my new and much-improved review of Chuck Norris Superkicks!
Would like to hear your thoughts.

LuckyMan

Re: 2018/3/9: Atari 2600: Chuck Norris Superkicks

Postby LuckyMan » March 9th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Great new review! I particularly like the descriptive word you created, "bad-assity." That's funny!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 9th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Even though I'm no fan of Chuck Norris I've always liked this game a lot, ever since I had it as a kid on a double-ender with Artillery Duel (which I also enjoy). I don't remember whether I actually beat Superkicks back in the day, but I played through it a few months ago and had a blast. It really does get stressful by the time you reach the endgame, in a good way!

It has meaningful progression from area to area (new skills, new foes, new belts), the combat is really quite respectable, and it even has an almost-ending. (Too bad the ninjas just stop coming at the end, instead of the game giving you an actual win screen.)

A small factual error: I'm pretty sure you first get the Somersault Superkick in the third stage, not the fourth. And I'm sort of surprised that you don't mention that the ninjas in the final area vanish, which is part of what makes it so intense: by the time you get to the last few ninjas, you only have a split-second window to hit them in between disappearances, with the last seconds on your clock steadily ticking down.

IIRC in the ColecoVision version, the ninjas in the final monastery are only invisible, so -- unlike in the Atari version -- they can still be hit when you can't see them. However, on the CV the ninjas never stop coming, but just continue respawning endlessly until you run out of time. All told the CV version really isn't as good as the Atari 2600 one, though it's still playable.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 10th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I have recollections of playing a Chuck Norris game on the C64 that was clearly an early game for the system, and thinking it was just TERRIBLE. If I can find it in my collection (once I get my C64 repaired, that is) I'll try to knock out a review of my own and see how our experiences compare. Off the top of my head, I'd assume I'd be giving it an F but maybe I just didn't know how to play it either? Or, maybe it was just a better 'version' on the Atari 2600.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 12th, 2018, 6:29 pm

This is one of my favorite reviews. I'm currently working on the Colecovision version.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 14th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Okay so I'm reviewing the Colecovision version. I got to the final stage and killed about 50 ninjas. WTF?

So I look it up on the internet, and apparently you can't beat this game! During the last stage you just keep playing the final stage until the time runs out! I'm disappointed to learn this. It makes me want to take the grade down from a B- to C+.

Thoughts??

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 14th, 2018, 10:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Okay so I'm reviewing the Colecovision version. I got to the final stage and killed about 50 ninjas. WTF?

So I look it up on the internet, and apparently you can't beat this game! During the last stage you just keep playing the final stage until the time runs out! I'm disappointed to learn this. It makes me want to take the grade down from a B- to C+.

Thoughts??

That was brought up earlier by goldenband, who also said that the ColecoVision version "really isn't as good" but is "still playable" - C+ seems like the way to go.

Return to “Review Feedback”