2018/3/18: Tiger Game.com: Henry, Lights Out

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/3/18: Tiger Game.com: Henry, Lights Out

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Reviewed two highly-forgettable games for the Game.com. Comments?

crimefighter

Re: 2018/3/18: Tiger Game.com: Henry, Lights Out

Postby crimefighter » March 18th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Lights Out is actually an adaptation of the standalone handheld electronic game --

http://au.pcmag.com/computer-console-ga ... -1990s?p=1

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 19th, 2018, 1:58 am

Heyyy, Game.com games! Sad as it may be, I always get excited for these... While I tell the same boring story every time you post Game.com games, let me repeat it: In the mid-90s, while everyone else was getting the Game Boy Pocket, I just had to be different.. I fell for the Game.com marketing and asked for it as my main Christmas gift in 1997. At that point, the only other system I had was an SNES, so the Game.com became my main gaming system (talk about a traumatic childhood...). It would stay that way until Christmas 1998, when I got a Playstation and all was well again. It was the only handheld I ever owned, until buying a GBA in the early 2000s. Despite all that, I knew even then that the Game.com was terrible, and my nostalgia for it is very limited.

Nice reviews too. I bought Henry a few years ago, but haven't played it yet. As for Lights Out, that was the pack-in game with the Game.com (might be worth mentioning that in the review), so I owned this one as a kid. I haven't played it since then, but I remember messing around with it for a few hours back in the day. I was actually surprised that it got an F.. the Game.com is terrible at handling action games, so I figured this simple touch-screen puzzle game might have hope for an average score. Guess not. As crimefighter pointed out, Lights Out was also a popular handheld game on its own in the 90s.

Next up?? By my count, you are now missing just 3 Game.com games: Monopoly, Quiz Wiz: Cyber Trivia, and Wheel of Fortune 2. Wheel of Fortune 2 is the rarest Game.com game, so that might cost you a bit. I've never played that, but I hear it's very similar to the first Wheel of Fortune, which you gave an A-. Never played Monopoly. As for Quiz Wiz, I owned that one as a kid. Don't get your hopes up.. it's a basic trivia game, hosted by an incredibly annoying teenage goofball that makes dumb jokes the whole time. (There's also the Internet cartridge, which was an interesting concept back in the day, but obviously doesn't work now.)

scotland

Postby scotland » March 19th, 2018, 7:11 am

crimefighter wrote:Lights Out is actually an adaptation of the standalone handheld electronic game --

http://au.pcmag.com/computer-console-ga ... -1990s?p=1

I have one of these. Its a fun little "dinner table" kind of game where you can pass it around, or everyone shout out the next move. Simple idea (pressing a button toggles it on/off, but cardinal ones around it also get toggled.)

Considering the Critic gave the cart an F, maybe it illuminates the difference in a dedicated handheld with buttons and the Tiger.com?

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » March 19th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Have to assume the major difference is you move a cursor around the squares to toggle them, instead of touch one of the grid of buttons on the handheld.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 20th, 2018, 1:32 pm

A bit of an issue with the Henry review: It says that the game uses a "4x5 grid", but the grid is 4x4.

crimefighter wrote:Have to assume the major difference is you move a cursor around the squares to toggle them, instead of touch one of the grid of buttons on the handheld.

Nope, the Game.com version uses the stylus.

Return to “Review Feedback”