2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 11700
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 5th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Here's another 2D Switch title for your reading pleasure.

Sonicx9
Posts: 745
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby Sonicx9 » May 5th, 2018, 4:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here's another 2D Switch title for your reading pleasure.


Critic related to what you reviewd about that game, a podcast around the 17 to 24 minute mark: https://ia800608.us.archive.org/21/item ... tEp168.mp3 make a good point about the problem with these retro 8 bit/16 bit style games is they have the look but don't exactly play like 8 bit/16 bit style games even on the ones that are good. And some of them are like Retro City Rampage and it DX update are not very good to begin with. In fact the problem is they rely on the style of the graphics then the game play polish. The reasons why games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight work is they not only have the look, but are also playable and polish with their on refinements made. Also Gunlord on Dreamcast was that to. They also say how most big Kickstarters don't work either "cough" "cough" Mighty No. 9 "cough" "cough" Yooka-Laylee (yes I know it is not as bad as Mighty No. 9, but falls flat compared to both Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time.)

Paul Campbell
Posts: 125
Joined: August 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby Paul Campbell » May 5th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Your opening line for this review is almost VERBATIM what I said to my wife during my first play of this game. I literally bought Tiny Barbarian because Axiom Verge had me on a retro high like never before, and I wanted to keep the momentum. Your entire review is my thoughts exactly, probably for the same reason. I opted instead to start another game of AV on hard mode and go for 100% completion. Speaks to the greatness of the game considering I have NEVER in my life wanted to immediately restart a game after finishing it...

GameOfThrones
Posts: 265
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby GameOfThrones » May 6th, 2018, 1:23 pm

It is funny people play this amazing new system to play games that would not have looked out of place on the game boy advance. Also when you read your reviews games are either very good (produced by Nintendo) or really average as they are produced by everyone else.
It is still early days for the console.

Paul Campbell
Posts: 125
Joined: August 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby Paul Campbell » May 7th, 2018, 12:25 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:It is funny people play this amazing new system to play games that would not have looked out of place on the game boy advance. Also when you read your reviews games are either very good (produced by Nintendo) or really average as they are produced by everyone else.
It is still early days for the console.


I could have bought Axiom Verge on any of my consoles, but any game that I CAN get on the Switch I do, because that game is now also portable.

Don't know what you're talking about with the "produced by Nintendo" stuff. Not even remotely true of The Critic. Heck, even if it IS true, it's also true of most other reviewers because Nintendo generally makes quality, well-reviewed games. Mario Odyssey and Zelda were probably the two highest rated games of recent memory, so apparently ALL critics are biased towards Nintendo...

GameOfThrones
Posts: 265
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby GameOfThrones » May 7th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:It is funny people play this amazing new system to play games that would not have looked out of place on the game boy advance. Also when you read your reviews games are either very good (produced by Nintendo) or really average as they are produced by everyone else.
It is still early days for the console.


I could have bought Axiom Verge on any of my consoles, but any game that I CAN get on the Switch I do, because that game is now also portable.

Don't know what you're talking about with the "produced by Nintendo" stuff. Not even remotely true of The Critic. Heck, even if it IS true, it's also true of most other reviewers because Nintendo generally makes quality, well-reviewed games. Mario Odyssey and Zelda were probably the two highest rated games of recent memory, so apparently ALL critics are biased towards Nintendo...

Though it like me buying Doom over and over. Sure it is a great game and it is top rated but at the end of the day it is the same game with a few tweeks. Mario cart. Next you will be telling me it is so different that the one I played on my GBA.

Paul Campbell
Posts: 125
Joined: August 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby Paul Campbell » May 8th, 2018, 11:51 am

GameOfThrones wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:It is funny people play this amazing new system to play games that would not have looked out of place on the game boy advance. Also when you read your reviews games are either very good (produced by Nintendo) or really average as they are produced by everyone else.
It is still early days for the console.


I could have bought Axiom Verge on any of my consoles, but any game that I CAN get on the Switch I do, because that game is now also portable.

Don't know what you're talking about with the "produced by Nintendo" stuff. Not even remotely true of The Critic. Heck, even if it IS true, it's also true of most other reviewers because Nintendo generally makes quality, well-reviewed games. Mario Odyssey and Zelda were probably the two highest rated games of recent memory, so apparently ALL critics are biased towards Nintendo...

Though it like me buying Doom over and over. Sure it is a great game and it is top rated but at the end of the day it is the same game with a few tweeks. Mario cart. Next you will be telling me it is so different that the one I played on my GBA.


Maybe you posted this on the wrong thread because it doesn't seem to really relate to our discussion, but whatever you say.

GameOfThrones
Posts: 265
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby GameOfThrones » May 8th, 2018, 2:38 pm

It is pertinent to the console releasing retro titles. TB does not look great and does look like a GBA game. Would it tempt me to buy a switch? Probably not. Though I am tempted to get a 3DS though where I will ever get around to it is another matter entirely.
It is a good review of an average looking game. Axiom Verge looks great but it is too expensive for what it is. If I wanted to get retro I have a ps1, ps2, ps3 and a PSP to play.
Though I did hear someone hacked it and now you can use Ubuntu on it. Which sound interesting.

newmodelarmy
Posts: 108
Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby newmodelarmy » May 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I had my eye on this one but after this review I will pass. I enjoy the Switch but I am afraid its best games have already been made! I am struggling to find anything to play on it.

Paul Campbell
Posts: 125
Joined: August 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: 2018/5/5: Nintendo Switch: Tiny Barbarian DX

Postby Paul Campbell » May 9th, 2018, 10:46 pm

GameOfThrones wrote: Axiom Verge looks great but it is too expensive for what it is.


This could not be further from the truth. I don't pay for graphics. I pay for game play, enjoyment, and time well spent. I got more time out of AV than any hyped-up, big budget title of recent memory. I had to force myself to get my money's worth out of those games. On the other hand, I couldn't wait to play Axiom Verge at the end of my work day...


Return to “Review Feedback”