2018/5/12: Arcadia 2001: Doraemon (Japan), Monaco Grand Prix

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/5/12: Arcadia 2001: Doraemon (Japan), Monaco Grand Prix

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Here's a new set of Arcadia 2001 reviews for ya! I think these reviews are pretty decent but you tell me.

scotland

Re: 2018/5/12: Arcadia 2001: Doraemon (Japan), Monaco Grand Prix

Postby scotland » May 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm

A rare dual screenshot review for Monoco Grand Prix - and for a game that could be be on the RCA Studio II using just keys.

I was surprised you even liked the look of it - I thought a box of crayolas had exploded.

As for Doraemon - the cat avoids the mice? What is this world coming to. That cat does look like an astronaut. I've actually had some fun with a lot of the maze games popular in this era, but this one does not sound like a winner.

Two fun reviews of games we're not likely to see reviewed too often. I always enjoy when you add another 2nd generation review.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 12th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Yes, great to see more Arcadia 2001 reviews -- keep 'em comin'! :mrgreen:

BTW I think Monaco Grand Prix wasn't released in the US -- right? If so it deserves an import icon.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2018, 9:09 am

Doing a quick search I see (Europe) next to the name a lot, so I guess you're right about it being an import.
If anybody can verify please do.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 13th, 2018, 2:59 pm

scotland wrote:I was surprised you even liked the look of it - I thought a box of crayolas had exploded.

:lol:
Yup it does

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 18th, 2018, 9:32 am

Thank you for reviewing Doraemon, I've been curious about it for a time.

I'm under the impression that the shows most popular with young children; that could explain the relatively easy game.

Random Doraemon factoids:

Doraemon isn't a real cat; he's a robotic time-traveling cat from the future.

For reasons I don't know he's decided to live with a family in present-day Japan. Most of the show's/comic's/movies' plots involve Doraemon trying to solve a problem using a futuristic device.

There's apparently a whole genre of shows where some sort of magic character decided to live with a Japanese family. Other shows/comics have featured a cute ghost who hatched from an egg, a frog stuck to a poor kid's shirt, & a politically incorrect caricature of an African pygmy.

There have been at least three Doremon TV shows. The 1st one, produced in the late 60's, only lasted one season. The 2nd ran from the 70's to the 90's; the third started in the 90's & still runs today.

Doraemon's missing his ears. Apparently he was attacked by mice, & they chewed off his ears. That's why he's afraid of 'em.

The earliest comic books & the earliest TV series had a robotic duck, in addition to Doraemon. The series creator didn't like the duck, & wrote him out.

In the late 90's several companies approached Streamline Pictures, asking them if Doraemon could be re-dubbed. Streamline said it was too Japanese. Some of the jokes involved the characters meeting people from Japan's history, & the show liked to show the main character bathing.

For the search engine, for someone who doesn't know how to spell Doraemon:
Dormon, Doramon, Doremon, Doormon, Dormoon, Doremoon, Doreamon,

Return to “Review Feedback”