2018/5/14: Playstation 3: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/5/14: Playstation 3: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Let's hear your thoughts on the latest pair of PS3 RPG reviews by our resident RPG expert.

ptdebate

Re: 2018/5/14: Playstation 3: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby ptdebate » May 14th, 2018, 9:58 pm

I highly respect the opinion of this reviewer, but I must say that it is not acceptable to review a game that you have not finished. If you dislike the game and choose to quit early, more power to you. I have abandoned many games that did not suit me. That being the case, however, you are not qualified to evaluate the product. Move on to something you were able to finish.

Rev

Re: 2018/5/14: Playstation 3: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby Rev » May 14th, 2018, 10:34 pm

I actually quite disagree. I think a case can be made that reviewing a game does not require that you finish it. I think you definitely need to go a certain length as going 1 hour into an RPG and then calling it quits is unacceptable but if you go 60-70% through the game and you dislike it, why are you going to finish it? How many reviewers that dislike a game actually go and 100% that game? At what point is it considered enough to have a valid opinion about a game?

I would say the answer would be far enough to have an objective, unbiased view of the game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

I can't think of a type of game less shameful to give up on than a JRPG.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 15th, 2018, 6:32 pm

ptdebate wrote:I highly respect the opinion of this reviewer, but I must say that it is not acceptable to review a game that you have not finished. If you dislike the game and choose to quit early, more power to you. I have abandoned many games that did not suit me. That being the case, however, you are not qualified to evaluate the product. Move on to something you were able to finish.

Are you being serious?

jon

Postby jon » May 16th, 2018, 1:40 am

Because every RPG should get an A+, right? How about, it was a very good review that shows it's not just about, I don't know, perhaps a random fanboy giving every RPG an A+?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 16th, 2018, 10:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
ptdebate wrote:I highly respect the opinion of this reviewer, but I must say that it is not acceptable to review a game that you have not finished. If you dislike the game and choose to quit early, more power to you. I have abandoned many games that did not suit me. That being the case, however, you are not qualified to evaluate the product. Move on to something you were able to finish.

Are you being serious?

I second this question. I think that is a standard that is completely unreasonable.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 19th, 2018, 2:55 pm

It is weird I have read this and people are not talking about the games but the reviewing style.

Okay I have read the KOA and broadly agree. For me it is a B plus. It is good but does not quite hit the heights on Skyrim. I just wish it had been more successful as I would have like to have seen a second game to build on the success of the first one.

I cannot say if Ni No Kuni is any good as I have not played it. Though I do agree you can review a game and do not like it you can still review it. Just because you have not sampled the whole game does not mean that you cannot give an opinion.

Kajicat

Postby Kajicat » May 24th, 2018, 5:50 pm

A reviewer of a JRPG should play through at least 70% of the game. Playing, say, only 25% of the game is ridiculous and a review should not be written off such little exposure. Why play more than 50% of it? Because a game can change a lot in the second half. Maybe the story doesn't make much sense in the first half but everything gets tied up nicely by the end. Maybe earlier dungeons and too easy and later ones see an increase in challenge. Maybe the game world opens up much more once a certain vehicle is acquired. Maybe new characters join your party later on that you actually like.

When I see a score given from a reviewer that is an outlier from the median across other outlets and find that the reviewer mentions they didn't finish the game, it immediately raises a red flag. I'm not saying they need to 100% it by collecting all secret items, doing all side quests, and level up all character abilites, but they should at least really hold themselves accountable to try to finish the main game.

Rev wrote:if you go 60-70% through the game and you dislike it, why are you going to finish it?

Well, as a reviewer it's basically your duty to really know the ins and outs of the game, if your word is actually to be trusted. Personally, if I said I was going to review a game, I'd be sure to complete the main game at the very least.

Reviewing a game doesn't mean you're always going to enjoy it. You have to gain as much knowledge of it even if you're not having fun doing so. That's the reponsibility of the reviewer.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 24th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Kajicat wrote:A reviewer of a JRPG should play through at least 70% of the game. Playing, say, only 25% of the game is ridiculous and a review should not be written off such little exposure. Why play more than 50% of it? Because a game can change a lot in the second half. Maybe the story doesn't make much sense in the first half but everything gets tied up nicely by the end. Maybe earlier dungeons and too easy and later ones see an increase in challenge. Maybe the game world opens up much more once a certain vehicle is acquired. Maybe new characters join your party later on that you actually like.

When I see a score given from a reviewer that is an outlier from the median across other outlets and find that the reviewer mentions they didn't finish the game, it immediately raises a red flag. I'm not saying they need to 100% it by collecting all secret items, doing all side quests, and level up all character abilites, but they should at least really hold themselves accountable to try to finish.

I couldn't agree more at least on JRPGs. Well said.

Return to “Review Feedback”