Jurassic Park Video Game Review Special

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Jurassic Park Video Game Review Special

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2018, 7:09 pm

It's finally here! My Jurassic Park video game special. Maybe this will get your psyched for the new film. Let me know what you think!

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/theme ... ic.htm?n=3

Cafeman

Re: Jurassic Park Video Game Review Special

Postby Cafeman » June 20th, 2018, 7:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's finally here! My Jurassic Park video game special. Maybe this will get your psyched for the new film. Let me know what you think!

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/theme ... ic.htm?n=3

What pain and suffering these games appear to have caused you! Average grade seems to be a D! I'm astounded you liked that awful 3DO game more than the Sega CD game!

Well, I enjoyed the first Genesis JP cart (why no review for Rampage Edition?), much more than the dull SNES game. It kept the suspenseful and frightening mood of the first film, and included the river scene from the book. I loved battling raptors with a rocket launcher, and outwitting Reid's bite. I give it a B.

I enjoyed the Sega CD point click JP adventure too, although I had expected it to be better. It was mostly fun exploring the map and it startled me a couple of times. I enjoy replaying this every year, it only takes about an hour or so when you know what to do. Did you learn to snip the Galliminus area tree branch in order to see a classic Rex vs Trike battle on the next screen? I'd rate this game a B- if you are a JP and adventure fan, but lower otherwise.

I was pleasantly surprised by the super suspenseful JP the Game too. Somebody did a play through of it a few months back on YT, I enjoyed watching some of that too.

Thanks for the special, only 2 more days until the new film!
Last edited by Cafeman on June 21st, 2018, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 21st, 2018, 11:15 am

Wow, never realized you reviewed so many of these! If this shows anything, it's that developers have completely failed at using the JP license effectively. Like I mentioned in a post yesterday, the best of the bunch might be Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, which is a Theme Park style game for the Xbox/PS2/PC. That quality comes with a price though.... a complete copy of the Xbox version of Operation Genesis will usually fetch around $85.

Personally, I have a soft spot for the JP game on the Game.com, which you gave an F. It is definitely a terrible game, but it was the only action game I owned on the Game.com when I was a kid, so I forced myself to like it a little bit back then. Most of the game was a 2D sidescrolling action-platformer, along with some driving sequences mixed in (as shown in the review screenshot).

VGC, do you have a personal favorite?

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 21st, 2018, 3:26 pm

I’m fond of Jurassic Park for the Genesis. I loved playing as a raptor as a kid. The sequel felt like pretty much the same game. I think I’ll pick up the Game Gear game after reading that review though!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2018, 5:36 pm

Do you guys like the color scheme? I always thought the vehicles in the original movie looked cool, so I tried to duplicate their color scheme. I had to be careful to keep it easy to read.

My favorite JP game is the original for the Genesis. It's a sentimental favorite, as there was a lot of buzz around it and the movie, and all my friends were into it. Actually I think I want to play it now.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 21st, 2018, 6:08 pm

Nice collection; it's great to see all these games together.

I enjoy the Game Boy version of Jurassic Park, but I can't get past the 2nd "boss," a heard of running triceratops. :(

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 21st, 2018, 6:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Do you guys like the color scheme? I always thought the vehicles in the original movie looked cool, so I tried to duplicate their color scheme. I had to be careful to keep it easy to read.

On one hand, the green was too pale to make me think of the Explorers, so I'm not sure that it really worked on that level. On the other hand, the brilliant green that they had would melt people's eyes if you used it. Regardless, I think the page looks really nice, and being green at all is appropriate to the films' lush verdure.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 22nd, 2018, 8:29 am

VGC, did you overlook the Genesis Rampage Edition, which you already have a review for, or did you omit it on purpose from this JP special?

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 22nd, 2018, 10:11 am

Cafeman wrote:VGC, did you overlook the Genesis Rampage Edition, which you already have a review for, or did you omit it on purpose from this JP special?

It’s on there. It’s a few reviews after the original Genesis JP review; I missed it at first too

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 22nd, 2018, 11:14 am

Yeah, they're listed chronologically, so it's in with the 1994 games instead of with the original in 1993.

Return to “Review Feedback”