2018/7/12: Nintendo Switch: Mario Tennis Aces

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/7/12: Nintendo Switch: Mario Tennis Aces

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Well, they can't all be winners. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sonicx9

Re: 2018/7/12: Nintendo Switch: Mario Tennis Aces

Postby Sonicx9 » July 12th, 2018, 5:57 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well, they can't all be winners. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

You are not the only one, this video felt the same as you!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXPGAqqZCI

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 12th, 2018, 10:15 pm

I think a D- is a bit harsh. The game actually has a multiplayer option that’s just tennis, and without all the gimmicks it’s a lot of fun. To unlock it you turn to your friend and say, “let’s play with no gimmicks”

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 12th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Yet another time where I think it would bw much more helpful to your readers if you listed the developer of the game, not the publisher. These days Nintendo doesn't always make their sports games, and some developers have better track records than other. For example, Wayforward made the amazing Mario Strikers Charged, while I think Hudson Soft made the ho-hum Mario Baseball game for the Wii, but both were published by Nintendo. I think you might as well not even bother listing the publisher these days, as it's fairly irrelevant information...

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » July 13th, 2018, 7:48 am

Paul Campbell wrote:Yet another time where I think it would bw much more helpful to your readers if you listed the developer of the game, not the publisher. These days Nintendo doesn't always make their sports games, and some developers have better track records than other. For example, Wayforward made the amazing Mario Strikers Charged, while I think Hudson Soft made the ho-hum Mario Baseball game for the Wii, but both were published by Nintendo. I think you might as well not even bother listing the publisher these days, as it's fairly irrelevant information...

Actually I just looked it up for the Wii version of Mario Baseball, turns out that game was apparently co-developed by Namco Bandai *and* Nintendo. Specifically Nintendo SPD Group No.4 It probably doesn't make much difference, but its just something I thought was kinda interesting that's all. https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Super_Sluggers

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:Yet another time where I think it would bw much more helpful to your readers if you listed the developer of the game, not the publisher. These days Nintendo doesn't always make their sports games, and some developers have better track records than other. For example, Wayforward made the amazing Mario Strikers Charged, while I think Hudson Soft made the ho-hum Mario Baseball game for the Wii, but both were published by Nintendo. I think you might as well not even bother listing the publisher these days, as it's fairly irrelevant information...

I don't know Paul. I think it's one of those cases where "the buck stops here" with the publisher. If a contractor hires a sub to do the work, they are still responsible for the result.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » July 13th, 2018, 5:11 pm

This is your first review in a long time that I whole heartedly disagree with. I think this game is awesome. It's so much better than the Wii U game(which isn't saying much) Not quite as good as the Gamecube version though. I like the controls and how easy it is to learn the game. The Adventure mode is pretty fun though frustrating at times. And i like the Online play. For me this game is a solid B+

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 14th, 2018, 8:56 am

I agree that listing the developer is helpful, but not at the expense of not listing the publisher. Why not list both?

As for the game itself, I'm an avid sports fan but have never tried the Mario tennis games. But from the sound of this review, this version is more flash than substance. I want to play normal tennis (like Virtua Tennis), not a gimmicky version of tennis. I appreciate that you were willing to give it a low score, since it seems a bit overrated at 76% on Metacritic, which I attribute in part to it being a Nintendo published game.

Return to “Review Feedback”