2019/3/26: Playstation 4: God of War

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/3/26: Playstation 4: God of War

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Let's hear what you have to say about this review!

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/3/26: Playstation 4: God of War

Postby Sonicx9 » March 26th, 2019, 8:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's hear what you have to say about this review!

All this review tells me is you are not a big fan of the PS4/8th gen in which I can not blame you considering how weak this gen is. And this review also shows why I take Nintendo Switch over PS4 as the PS4 is more about cinematic games trying to be movies with little gameplay, or are too serious and trying to be like harsh reality or, worst of all online only live service games (Yuck! for the last one considering I hate that trend going on lately, looking at you Anthem!) In fact in past gen critic, you had way more high scores to high profile games that where exclusive to each gen. But the same can not be said about PS4/Xbox One/Wii U as that gen was very mediocre and lackluster and boy does it show.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 27th, 2019, 3:35 am

I totally agree with your review although I can appreciate Sony trying to do something different. I loved the other God of War games but this one just did not grab me. The slow, plodding pace felt like a chore to me until finally, I just turned it off and traded it in.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

Good to hear your take on this one. I've been wavering on it a lot. I played God of War II.. liked it, but didn't love it.. eventually got tired of it, and gave up... a few years later I went back and finally finished it. Decided I'd seen enough, and promised to never play another God of War game.

Then they go and entirely revamp the series, and it's the best rated game released on PS4. Critics love it and it got universally good scores - even better than the old GoW games. So I'm like "crap, does this mean I have to try the series again?" I also saw a few people here praise the game when talking about Game of the Year for 2018. So, finally I decided to get it once I could find a new or used copy for $20, but the price hasn't dropped that low yet. Now your review comes up - probably matching up with how I would feel about the game - so I'm back on the fence again....

How is the story in this game? I've heard good things in the reviews I've read, and I can excuse average gameplay if a game has an engrossing story. But I no longer trust the mainstream gaming media's definition of a good story. I've been burned too many times.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 27th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I’m about 20% in, the games good but I wouldn’t say it’s great.

It hasn’t got the same pull as Horizon Zero Dawn. Once I got into that I couldn’t put it down.

God of War I will play through but I’m not itching to play it.

GTS

Postby GTS » March 27th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I played GOW 1 through 3. I enjoyed them all, especially the gameplay. I would get this one, but I don't like games that force me to hunt animals (in a realistic way). Maybe if there's a way to skip those parts.

I disagree with Sonicx9 regarding the current generation of consoles. I think we are getting some of the best games ever made, right now. Online multiplayer games of 60 to 100 are a blast, when done right.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 27th, 2019, 7:10 pm

GTS wrote:I played GOW 1 through 3. I enjoyed them all, especially the gameplay. I would get this one, but I don't like games that force me to hunt animals (in a realistic way). Maybe if there's a way to skip those parts.

I disagree with Sonicx9 regarding the current generation of consoles. I think we are getting some of the best games ever made, right now. Online multiplayer games of 60 to 100 are a blast, when done right.

It because I am judging it based on critics reviews what games from the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U have gotten regular B or higher and what games have hit the A range not many. Just my two cents.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 27th, 2019, 9:45 pm

GTS wrote:I played GOW 1 through 3. I enjoyed them all, especially the gameplay. I would get this one, but I don't like games that force me to hunt animals (in a realistic way). Maybe if there's a way to skip those parts.

I agree with Sonicx9. I think there is so much emphasis on multi-player, graphics, and story, that game play is a distant concern. When I read the Critic talk about the mediocre game play in God of War, it makes me wonder how much concern they really give to play testing, almost as if they assume the other factors of the game will keep people happy. I concur with people who say "Thank goodness for the Switch.". That's almost the only system I play now, especially now that my boys have taught me the ropes of Smash Brothers, and I am actually finding some enjoyment in it for the first time...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 27th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:

I agree with Sonicx9. I think there is so much emphasis on multi-player, graphics, and story, that game play is a distant concern. When I read the Critic talk about the mediocre game play in God of War, it makes me wonder how much concern they really give to play testing, almost as if they assume the other factors of the game will keep people happy. I concur with people who say "Thank goodness for the Switch.". That's almost the only system I play now, especially now that my boys have taught me the ropes of Smash Brothers, and I am actually finding some enjoyment in it for the first time...

Great point!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 30th, 2019, 11:19 am

Sonicx9 wrote:It because I am judging it based on critics reviews what games from the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U have gotten regular B or higher and what games have hit the A range not many. Just my two cents.

Conversely many online zines and metacritic indicate several current gen titles are highly revered. Plenty of A games out there. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a release in the past few weeks, most sources indicate it is an A game. Is it really an A game? For some yes, others, of course not...

While reviews serve their purpose, the person who ultimately counts in enjoying a game is the individual that purchases it. Opinions on matters that are highly subjective should be taken with a pinch of salt, you might agree, you might disagree with the review once you experience it yourself. Your personal experience need not rest on the shoulder of another...

Return to “Review Feedback”