1/5/2007: Playstation 2: Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2, King of Fighters 2006, Sega Genesis Collection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Adamant1

1/5/2007: Playstation 2: Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2, King of Fighters 2006, Sega Genesis Collection

Postby Adamant1 » January 6th, 2007, 12:52 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Someone asked what games were on Activision Anthology... [/QUOTE]

Ah no, I know what games are on it, as I own the cart, but I remember having a hell of a time finding this info before I bought it.

For the record, the GBA cart includes all 2600 games Activision and Absolute produced excluding Double Dragon, Rampage, Kung Fu Master and Ghostbusters, as well as two unknown prototypes, the Freeway prototype, the Venetian Blinds demo, the unreleased Kabobber and Thwocker, and the homebrews Climber 5, Okie Dokie, Oystron, Skeleton+, Vault Assault and Video Euchre.

mappymousepd

Postby mappymousepd » January 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Sounds like you couldn't get into Gain Ground.  For many people (myself included) this is one of the best games on the collection.  I'd give the collection an A-, just because I think they should have put all the Shinobi games on one disk.  They must be planning a second volume. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 6th, 2007, 1:43 pm

I think I managed to snag both compilations for $10 each.  Fantastic value for what you get.  I've yet to even try all the games. 

Does anyone remember the arcade version of Super Thunder Blade?  I really liked it at the time but the Genesis version blows.  Is it any different or does nostalgia just make it seem better from back in the day?

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 6th, 2007, 2:03 pm

streets of rage was most likely left out for either a sequel, or t keep the game rating at E

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 6th, 2007, 5:58 pm

[QUOTE=mappymousepd]Sounds like you couldn't get into Gain Ground.  For many people (myself included) this is one of the best games on the collection.  

[/QUOTE]

I guess that Gain Ground is a game that you either "get" or you don't.  I had heard good things about it, but when I tried playing it, I just thought, "What the hell is this?"  Like the VGC I just found the game to be slow and tedious.  Maybe some day I'll give it another shot.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 6th, 2007, 8:58 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]streets of rage was most likely left out for either a sequel, or t keep the game rating at E[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, the Sega Genesis Collection is a Teen rated product. Also, according to an interview with Stephen Frost, one of the game's producers,  they were kept out to keep the thing from getting an M rating.  What?!

And a year before that, Sega also said that the reason they didn't keep the SOR games in the US and European versions of Sonic Gems Collection was to keep the collection from getting a Teen rating, stating that "The Streets of Rage games are not in keeping with Sonic's family friendly status in the US." 

Yeah, and they're trying to tell me that Shadow the Hedgehog (a Sonic game with gun violence, needless profanity, and distasteful terrorism references) is?! 

Those are just stupid excuses.  Seriously, the Streets of Rage games are worth nothing more than an E10 rating nowadays and I'd rather have my 10 year old playing those games over Shadow the Hedgehog. 

By the way, here's the link to the Stephen Frost interview if you are interested: http://www.sega-16.com/Interview-%20Stephen%20Frost.php

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » January 6th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Yes they are just that, excuses. Like the other one he used for the reason other stuff was left off it (Space constraints), like 28 or so Genesis games, a emulator, 5 arcade games and their emulator, and some artwork and quick videos is enough to fill a DVD. The games and the emulator probably don't fill 100MB's total. The videos are another 500MB's at most. And as best as I can tell, there are no scanned manuals like in Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

Its just a good sounding excuse.

idunnowhy

Postby idunnowhy » January 7th, 2007, 12:41 pm

gain ground with the save feature would be pure heaven for me...because the only thing i don't like about the game is how it takes 2 hours to get past the easy levels

Conn

Postby Conn » January 7th, 2007, 3:40 pm

[QUOTE=McTom]
I find it incomprehensible the Sega Collections lack titles like Streets of Rage 1-3, Sonic 3, Sonic Spinball, Virtua Racing, Strider and Toejam & Earl.[/QUOTE]

Strider is a Capcom game.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 7th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Hey, Leo, do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Also, despite my old school gamer complaints, I still think Sega Genesis Collection is a fine compliation; certainly better than Sega Smash Pack on Dreamcast.  But I just was giving my opinions as to how it could have been even better.

Now, with that out of the way, bring on Genesis Collection Volume 2!

And because I'm so nice, here's a list of games that might be nice to see in a hypothetical follow-up:

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Dynamite Headdy

Shining Force

Shining Force 2

OutRun

Space Harrier 2

Super Hang On

Gunstar Heroes

After Burner 2

Virtua Racing

Revenge of Shinobi

Eternal Champions

Herzog Zwei

Landstalker

Toe Jam & Earl

Super Monaco Grand Prix

Toe Jam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkatron

And if Sega is willing to go and get the rights for some of their old licensed games, I'd love to see:

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Castle of Illusion

World of Illusion

World Series Baseball/Sports Talk Baseball

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (don't laugh; it was a lot of fun)

Or some Japan-only games like Rent A Hero, Alien Soldier or something.  Any other ideas, guys?

Return to “Review Feedback”