1/5/2007: Playstation 2: Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2, King of Fighters 2006, Sega Genesis Collection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

1/5/2007: Playstation 2: Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2, King of Fighters 2006, Sega Genesis Collection

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 5th, 2007, 7:17 pm

When these compilations are done right, they can be an unbeatable value. 

I can't believe that when I read a recent review of Sega Genesis Collection in a major magazine, they didn't even bother to list the names of the games included!  Seems to me that's a pretty important piece of information.  Oh well, that's why I write my own reviews.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 5th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Thank you. I really hate it when I hear about a new compilation being released and have to look through 5 different reviews before I find out what games are included. Yes, I know a game titled Activision Anthology is going to be awesome, mr. reviewer, and any doubts I had were cleared when I saw all the perfect total scores you and your buddies scored the thing, now can you please tell me which games are included?
The fact that you have to actively SEARCH for information regarding the contents of these things is absolutely ridiculous. Even the product description usually only lists half the games and then just adds "and more".

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 5th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Yeah, I absolutely love the fact that you can save your games in the Genesis Collection.  I just don't have the time and/or will power to finish Sonic in one sitting.

Also, I think that you just convinced me to get Capcom Vol. 2.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 5th, 2007, 9:54 pm

"The Genesis emulation is the best I've seen, and only the most anal-retentive Sega aficionados will be able to detect any difference at all."

I guess I'd be one of those people then, because there are still some problems with the emulations here and there.  The lack of the female death scream in Golden Axe was noticable, but I almost lost it when I found that the Sonic games didn't speed up the music after collecting the speed shoes. It's particularly inexcusable in the case of the Sonics, since Sega's already put them into many other collections perfectly emulated (particularly the Sonic Mega Collections for GC and Xbox), and it still puzzles me as to why Sega can't perfectly replicate their old games the way Capcom and other companies can.  

Overall, it was a nice review, and it is a good collection, but I was quite surprised you didn't complain about the lack of the Streets of Rage games. How they were excluded and garbage like Gain Ground and Super Thunder Blade made it in boggles my mind.   

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » January 5th, 2007, 11:37 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]

...I was quite surprised you didn't complain about the lack of the Streets of Rage games. How they were excluded and garbage like Gain Ground and Super Thunder Blade made it in boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]

Because then there wouldn't be titles worth looking for in the inevitable "Sega Genesis Collection Volume 2, 3, 4..." follow-ups.

McTom

Postby McTom » January 6th, 2007, 4:47 am

I find it incomprehensible the Sega Collections lack titles like Streets of Rage 1-3, Sonic 3, Sonic Spinball, Virtua Racing, Strider and Toejam & Earl.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 6th, 2007, 5:41 am

Someone asked what games were on Activision Anthology... I don't know about the PS2 one, I have the GBA , but the short answer is "ALL the Activision games from the Kaboom-Pitfall2 era and a little beyond, EXCEPTING Arcade Titles (Rampage, Double Dragon) or Imagic-made titles(I believe two of those were on PS2)... the GBA cart also includes Prototypes (Kabobber) and cool Homebrews like Oystron and Fruit Deluxe (a Frogger/space type game). It is one of my most beloved Non-SMB GBA games!

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 6th, 2007, 5:53 am

[QUOTE=Michael D]

"The Genesis emulation is the best I've seen, and only the most anal-retentive Sega aficionados will be able to detect any difference at all."

I guess I'd be one of those people then, because there are still some problems with the emulations here and there.  The lack of the female death scream in Golden Axe was noticable, but I almost lost it when I found that the Sonic games didn't speed up the music after collecting the speed shoes. It's particularly inexcusable in the case of the Sonics, since Sega's already put them into many other collections perfectly emulated (particularly the Sonic Mega Collections for GC and Xbox), and it still puzzles me as to why Sega can't perfectly replicate their old games the way Capcom and other companies can.  

Overall, it was a nice review, and it is a good collection, but I was quite surprised you didn't complain about the lack of the Streets of Rage games. How they were excluded and garbage like Gain Ground and Super Thunder Blade made it in boggles my mind.   

[/QUOTE]

Do people just love to complain? Shut up! I have the PSP version and it's a great collection. Especially b/c I enjoy a good RPG here and there. Flipping nitpicky! No matter what some companies do they can't please everybody. I love the collection and I think it is a great value.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 6th, 2007, 9:47 am

digital eclipse did the genesis collection, and i believe an inhouse team did the sonic mega collections

andrew

Postby andrew » January 6th, 2007, 11:11 am

[QUOTE=McTom]
I find it incomprehensible the Sega Collections lack titles like Streets of Rage 1-3, Sonic 3, Sonic Spinball, Virtua Racing, Strider and Toejam & Earl.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind because both vectorman's are included. Never played the second actually but countless hours were spent playing the first vectorman game at sears.

Abother collection wil probably contain these games you mentioned because sega wants to maximize profits by releasing multiple collections.

Return to “Review Feedback”