1/26/2007: Nintendo DS: Cooking Momma, Elite Beat Agents, Star Fox Command

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 27th, 2007, 3:48 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]In cooking momma (or Mamma, whatever) , you can't really make fun of the Octopus dumplings if this was originally Japaneses as I expect. Every seafood place in Japan sells TONS of Squid and Octopus, they are delicacies there. In comparison, Lobster is a delicacy here and a lot of people wonder how someone can eat what is essentialy a "big sea bug"! (I live in Maine; trust me, they are DELICIOUS!...I'm part vegetarian but eat seafood.) I could never kill and cook one though. As a child I remember taking "my" lobster down to the beach and letting it go!

Also, there is a typo in the second line of the review. Sure
of this am I, quite rightly, yes![/QUOTE]

Elite Beat Agents and Cooking Mama were both games released initially in Japan.  Cooking Mama in Japan was a huge hit, and fit well into Nintendo's line in that country on attracting more casual gamers.  My godson's sister absolutely loves it, and between that and Nintendogs, she's hardly played any of the other four games I bought her for Christmas.  I am actually quite pleased that her and her mother are now playing the DS a lot with those two games.  Neither one of them were very interested in playing games before, but they've become DS fanatics.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! was not as big a hit in Japan, but it wasn't an abject failure either.  In fact, Americans were so taken with the game that the imports boosted the Japanese sales quite a bit, which is what caused Nintendo to bring an American version of it with all new dancers and content (i.e. Elite Beat Agents) to the States.  Before they saw the sales figures for importing the titles, Nintendo and developer iNiS had considered the game to be one that Americans wouldn't care for.

I posted videos a while ago on a thread on this forum showing me beating the final stages of both OTO and EBA on the hardest levels and getting a perfect S-Rank on each.  The hardest levels of OTO actually use American-style female cheerleaders, while the hardest mode of EBA has a trio of "Charlie's Angels" types called the Elite Beat Divas.  That's one of the charms of the game is the quirkiness they are able to add respective to both the Japanese and American cultures.

John-boy

Postby John-boy » January 28th, 2007, 6:47 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I.I'm part vegetarian but eat seafood.) [/QUOTE]

so everybody who eats vegetables is part vegetarian? wft?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 28th, 2007, 7:00 am

[QUOTE=John-boy][QUOTE=Alienblue]I.I'm part vegetarian but eat seafood.) [/QUOTE]

so everybody who eats vegetables is part vegetarian? wft?
[/QUOTE]

I'm part fruitarian on my mother's side.

Hehe, seriously though... maybe he meant that he ate seaweed?  At least he's not a vegan.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 28th, 2007, 11:17 am

I actually really like to cook and I've always been somewhat interested in Cooking Mama.  I think the DS game is probably not the way to go though.  The upcoming Wii version looks to be the experience that I would want from a title like this.  Plus the head to head two player mode will be the closest thing to an Iron Chef video game. 

Elite Beat Agents looks like a crazy and fun title.  Its just another wonderful game for the DS.  After I get through a few more DS titles I'm gonna pick this one up.

Critic, I know you don't like to play online, but since you played Mario Kart online I was wondering if you tried StarFox?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2007, 1:36 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
Critic, I know you don't like to play online, but since you played Mario Kart online I was wondering if you tried StarFox?

[/QUOTE]

I tried this a few times, but it always timed out after not being able to find enough opponents.  Maybe my network set-up is wrong, but I really don't have the time to mess with it.  Too many games - not enough time!

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 28th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Hmm, never had that problem myself, but then again, I don't play a HUGE amount of Wi-Fi on the DS, save for Kart.

-Rob

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 28th, 2007, 11:36 pm

On my "part Vegetarian" comment, I should have said I am MOSTLY vegetarian. More than 58% of Vegetarians eat SEAFOOD, they do not consider Fish , Shellfish and Killer Shark to be "meat" (Hell, if a sharks gonna eat me I'll eat it first Phbbt! ) ... It's because of the low-no fat content. I am not vegetarian because I think killing animals for food is wrong, I eat mostly vegetables (soy burgers, salads..but NO tofu! yuk!) because the flesh of land animals (Poultry, beef, pork) makes me sick, really. I do eat dairy products and am FULL of cheese, though!

By the way, if you wonder where I got the "58%" I just now made it up.

John-boy

Postby John-boy » January 29th, 2007, 9:30 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]On my "part Vegetarian" comment, I should have said I am MOSTLY vegetarian. More than 58% of Vegetarians eat SEAFOOD, they do not consider Fish , Shellfish and Killer Shark to be "meat"[/QUOTE]\

what? they consider them to be "vegetables"?

hehe

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 29th, 2007, 10:32 am

video games, people, video games.  this isn't the tyra banks show.  now stop talking about your diet or i'll be forced to give you a verbal spanking.  by the way, critic, good reviews, especially "cooking mama".

john-boy

Postby john-boy » January 29th, 2007, 11:22 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben1]

now stop talking about your diet or i'll be forced to give you a verbal spanking.  by the way, critic, good reviews, especially "cooking mama".

[/QUOTE]

can you see the irony in that post?

Return to “Review Feedback”