1/28/2007: Xbox 360: Call of Duty 2, Gears of War, Need For Speed Carbon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 29th, 2007, 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

-Call of Duty 2.  Got this recently it really is an excellent game.  Anyway on Saturday I went back home and did this on 3 player deathmatch for hours.  There were probably a good 6 or 7 maps that worked really well with only 3 players split screen.

-Gears of War.  Your comment about the save system is completely unfounded.  ALL games I have played in co-op work that way.  Except that usually you have to restart the whole level.  In this game the Chapters are regularly spaced with no more than 10 minutes gameplay between them.  So you can just load up from the latest chapter that you got through.  The chapters are spaced liberally throughout each of the Acts so it really isn't a problem.

I am also a little confused.  On the one hand you complain how flimsy the manual for NFS was but then you also complain that Gears doesn't have a tutorial mode.  A game should have one or the other.  Not both.  Since from your NFS review you clearly read the manuals why is Gears lack of a full tutorial mode a problem?

[/QUOTE]

My retort:

Call of Duty 2: That's nice that you found some cool multiplayer modes, but I did not.  And if I have to search for them, it's a reasonable gripe.

Gears of War: So since other games have bad save systems that makes it okay for Gears?  That's quite an assumption.

About the manual: So you're saying a game can't have a tutorial and a decent manual?  Are they really mutually exclusive??  For the record, Gears does have a short "training" level, but all it does is teach you how to push buttons and kick in doors.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 29th, 2007, 4:50 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]How is a third person shooter more creative than a first person shooter?  Surely Prey is far more creative than Lost Planet?

Sounds like you should check out XBLA.

To my ears it just sounds like you have a particularly biased view of the word creative.

Chrisbid do you have the game out of interest?

[/QUOTE]

FPS can be creative, but most of them boil down to the same thing...if it moves shoot it.  I find the genre to be terribly stale...There is only one FPS that matters on the 360...Halo 3.  Sports games and racers have only advanced so far...and most of it was done last generation.  There is room for improvement, but Tiger Woods 03 is just as fun as Tiger Woods 07.

The 360 lineup is hardly what I would call diverse.  If you crave titles that are "extreme" *shudders* then its got you covered.  Personally if I see one more WWII shooter become successful I'm gonna scream.  When developers cop out and use proven formulas like GTA (Saints Row) or WWII settings (too numerous to mention) and they actually sell well...it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the industry's future.  You are going to see less and less orginal IPs this generation and thats a shame. 

[/QUOTE]

While I agree with some of what you said have  you played COD2? The game kicks ass and is not  your "typical" FPS. Also, the 360's line-up is terrrific. Sorry, I don't want to play ONLY party games! If I did I would get a Wii. The 360 offers excellent Racing titles, FPS, Action, Sim (Via Pinata), Sports, RPG (Blue Dragon) and Strategy. I love the 360 and think it has the best to offer right now for "next gen" consoles.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » January 29th, 2007, 6:55 pm

I'm happy to hear that there are other people that go to these forums that agree with me that the Microsoft is doing everything right with their new console. They simply have everything to offer you no matter what kind of games you like.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 30th, 2007, 9:18 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]some of what you said have  you played COD2? The game kicks ass and is not  your "typical" FPS. Also, the 360's line-up is terrrific. Sorry, I don't want to play ONLY party games! If I did I would get a Wii. The 360 offers excellent Racing titles, FPS, Action, Sim (Via Pinata), Sports, RPG (Blue Dragon) and Strategy. I love the 360 and think it has the best to offer right now for "next gen" consoles. [/QUOTE]

Yes I've played COD2.  I had fun initially with the game, but my friends and I grew tired of it pretty quickly.  I don't know what makes it so "untypical" because it didn't feel much different to me.  My buddies and I were all stoked to play it and we geeked out over the cool smoke effects...but eventually the single player and multiplayer became boring to us.  I understand lots of people like the game, but I could never get into it.

Shawn you seem to mention the Wii quite a bit.  Its kind of like when a girl says she hates a guy, but she secretly doesn't want anyone to know she has a crush on him...probably because he's not a jock or the best looking guy.  Just an observation.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 30th, 2007, 9:49 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]

[QUOTE=Shawn]some of what you said have  you played COD2? The game kicks ass and is not  your "typical" FPS. Also, the 360's line-up is terrrific. Sorry, I don't want to play ONLY party games! If I did I would get a Wii. The 360 offers excellent Racing titles, FPS, Action, Sim (Via Pinata), Sports, RPG (Blue Dragon) and Strategy. I love the 360 and think it has the best to offer right now for "next gen" consoles. [/QUOTE]

Yes I've played COD2.  I had fun initially with the game, but my friends and I grew tired of it pretty quickly.  I don't know what makes it so "untypical" because it didn't feel much different to me.  My buddies and I were all stoked to play it and we geeked out over the cool smoke effects...but eventually the single player and multiplayer became boring to us.  I understand lots of people like the game, but I could never get into it.

Shawn you seem to mention the Wii quite a bit.  Its kind of like when a girl says she hates a guy, but she secretly doesn't want anyone to know she has a crush on him...probably because he's not a jock or the best looking guy.  Just an observation.

[/QUOTE]

I was never a jock but I am good looking. I guess you don't like FPS, can't blame you for that.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 30th, 2007, 11:51 am

[QUOTE=Shawn] 

I was never a jock but I am good looking. I guess you don't like FPS, can't blame you for that.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying you weren't a jock or you weren't good looking.  I was comparing you to a highschool girl that would go on and on about not liking a guy, when she secretly had a crush on him.  She usually didn't admit this to her friends because the guy she had a crush on wasn't a jock or wasn't a stud.

You = the girl.  The Wii = less handsome console.  PS3 and 360 = The Studs. 

Thereinlies the joke...you complain so much about the Wii, even when nobody mentions it, that I joking said that you secret desire to have a less powerful Wii. 

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 30th, 2007, 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=Shawn] 

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying you weren't a jock or you weren't good looking.  I was comparing you to a highschool girl that would go on and on about not liking a guy, when she secretly had a crush on him.  She usually didn't admit this to her friends because the guy she had a crush on wasn't a jock or wasn't a stud.

You = the girl.  The Wii = less handsome console.  PS3 and 360 = The Studs. 

Thereinlies the joke...you complain so much about the Wii, even when nobody mentions it, that I joking said that you secret desire to have a less powerful Wii. 

[/QUOTE]

I knew the joke and it was very good! Anyway, I think eventually I am getting one but I just want to see more games come out for it that I like. Mario Galaxy should be be cool so my guess is that is the game that will put it over the top for me.

andrew

Postby andrew » January 30th, 2007, 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=Superjay]I liked all the reviews except the Gears review you forgot to give it an A+ and say that it was the best game you ever played ever. You remember like you did by mistake when you reviewed Resident Evil 4.
[/QUOTE]

Thats best looking game ever, not best game ever.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » January 30th, 2007, 5:16 pm

how come no psp commment option on the new reviews?

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 30th, 2007, 8:12 pm

[QUOTE=Benjamin]how come no psp commment option on the new reviews?[/QUOTE]

Basically I think there are only about 5 people that own a PSP that check out this site. Or at the very least leave comments.

Return to “Review Feedback”