1/31/2007: Playstation 3: Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

1/31/2007: Playstation 3: Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2007, 9:45 pm

As my first three games for the PS3, I thought these were pretty good.  Let me know what you think of these reviews.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » January 31st, 2007, 11:09 pm

"Pretty good" isn't a good-enough reason to spend $500-600 on a supposedly superior videogame system that's been touted as the Second Coming of... you know who!  I agree with all your ratings and opinions Dave (although 'Blazing Angels' would have scored a 'C' or 'C+' since its just the XBox 360 version on a different, shinier new disc) but these three games and the entire sorry PS3 launch line-up (port after port after port of XBox 360 games, which also happens to be 75-80% of what's coming for PS3 in the next few months) are hardly worth the exorbitant asking price.  Each of the three games has one or two matches on XBox 360.  No wonder sales of the Blu-ray movie discs are up significantly since the launch of PS3.  People are opting to use the thing as a next-gen movie player than a videogame system. 

So Dave, are you also going to rent/buy Blu-ray movies since the Trojan horse snuck a BD player into your home when you bought the PS3 (whether you wanted one or not)?

Shawn

Postby Shawn » February 1st, 2007, 7:46 am

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

"Pretty good" isn't a good-enough reason to spend $500-600 on a supposedly superior videogame system that's been touted as the Second Coming of... you know who!  I agree with all your ratings and opinions Dave (although 'Blazing Angels' would have scored a 'C' or 'C+' since its just the XBox 360 version on a different, shinier new disc) but these three games and the entire sorry PS3 launch line-up (port after port after port of XBox 360 games, which also happens to be 75-80% of what's coming for PS3 in the next few months) are hardly worth the exorbitant asking price.  Each of the three games has one or two matches on XBox 360.  No wonder sales of the Blu-ray movie discs are up significantly since the launch of PS3.  People are opting to use the thing as a next-gen movie player than a videogame system. 

So Dave, are you also going to rent/buy Blu-ray movies since the Trojan horse snuck a BD player into your home when you bought the PS3 (whether you wanted one or not)?

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so you expect every game to be "amazing" on the new consoles? Hate to tell you but the 360 and the Wii both have plenty of crap and ports. I guess you should stick to your NES. Heck, the Wii is so shameless to be porting PS2/Xbox games!!!!! Oh my God the system must be crap and I guess the 360 is too. There is plenty of exclusive material coming out for all the systems but all of the are also going to have multiplatform games or "ports" as you call them. Of course, the Wii will have less b/c the system can't keep up with the 360/PS3. Maybe the PS3 launch wasn't that great but there is plenty of good games on the way...Motorstorm, Lair, MGS4, MLB 2007, etc, etc. Finally, if the price is too much for you then get a better job or don't buy one. $600 isn't that big of a deal for most people.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 1st, 2007, 9:20 am

Nice reviews Critic.  It seems like you really enjoyed Resistance.  I couldn't agree more with your review. 

Honestly, I would buy the PS3 just for that game.  I really enjoy it that much. Plus there are things looming on the horizon that I am interested in.  Who cares if a system's launch is flooded with ports?  The 360 was just as bad in this department...except it had PS2/Xbox ports rather than 360. 

I can't wait to get my PS3 and the next time I see one I am snatching it up...I've already passed on the system twice.  I just bought a brand new 42 inch 1080p HDTV and I can't wait to have a PS3 hooked up to that sucker.  I also can't wait to watch some of my favorite action movies in 1080p.  Plus the shiny black behemoth is gonna look nice next the small sleek Wii.

Hey Critic, just out of curiosity have you purchased any more games for the PS3 since you intially bought it?

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » February 1st, 2007, 10:52 am

at the risk of facing "the wrath of shawn", who apparently works at sony, i think that the ps3 had a terrible launch.  and for a system with a retail price of 600 bucks, sony is going to have a tough time recovering from this.  i'm sure it the ps3 will do well, but wII and the 360 are taking away a lot of ps3's thunder right now. 

and great reviews critic.  jolly good i say, cheerio old boy.

john-boy

Postby john-boy » February 1st, 2007, 11:29 am

i'm going to get a PS3. I like Sony's ethic - they do try to give the consumer a decent product. And I think once the playstation steam-roller gets going it will be very successful.

I didn't buy a PS2 or PSP, or an XBOX . I will not give microsoft any money. It's my religion. So the only alternative is a PS3, and possibly a WII if the next batch of Nintendo titles are any good. The controller is neat, but I am more interested in the games. What's the point of decent control in a lame game? I'm looking forward to Nintendo's AAA titles to see what they can do.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » February 1st, 2007, 11:37 am

Hey critic when did you buy a ps3 and for how much?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 1st, 2007, 1:13 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]
Ok, so you expect every game to be "amazing" on the new consoles?
[/QUOTE]

When it's more expensive than both it's competitors combined, it should damn well have something going for it, yes.
Why on earth should someone buy a PS3 and Resistance over an Xbox 360, Gears of War and 3 other high quality titles (like, say, Ridge Racer 6, Blazing Angels and a third game of your choice) and still have 20$ left?

Right now, the only reason to buy the thing is to watch BluRay movies. Resistance is not worth 200$ more than Gears of War.

Conn

Postby Conn » February 1st, 2007, 4:41 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]Resistance is not worth 200$ more than Gears of War.[/QUOTE]

Resistance isn't worth more than Gears, period. Both are great, but Gears has better graphics and environments and better gameplay.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » February 1st, 2007, 6:15 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn] $600 isn't that big of a deal for most people.
[/QUOTE]

that is an entire weeks pay for somebody that makes 30k a year, if you make twice that, a half a weeks pay wouldnt be 'a small deal'

Return to “Review Feedback”