2/19/2007: GameCube: F-Zero GX, Rampage: Total Destruction, Star Fox Assault

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2007, 4:31 pm

Feel free to discuss these reviews.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 19th, 2007, 6:12 pm

I haven't played F-Zero GX but I have played a lot of F-Zero X.  Both games you made the same comment about weak attacks being pointless, so I can only assume they are similar.  The point of the attacks is not to do damage to an enemy but to knock them off the track.  Since you also complain about the pinball mechanics I can only assume you don't get how that's a benefit because it makes it easier to knock people off the tracks. 

Varian

Postby Varian » February 19th, 2007, 7:07 pm

Starfox Assault and Rampage are yucky games. No doubt there.

But your F-Zero GX review is off. F-Zero GX has become a legend in hardcore games as THE most hardcore game of the last generation. The game is absurdly skills based and extremely unforgiving. The controls for the game are extremely precise. When you fly off a ramp, for example, the direction you push the analog stick can give you extra tenths of a second or keep you in the air a teeny bit longer (in case you want it for whatever reason). If you accidently hit a wall, voom voom, everyone flies by. The game is entirely fair but hardcore to the max. Ironically, when the game was first showed at E3, the 'dirt areas' were actually holes and everyone complained the game was too difficult. So the developers made the game easier by filling in those holes with 'dirt'. And the game is still incredibly hard.

F-Zero GX is the hardcore magnum opus to racing fans just as Ikaruga is the hardcore magnum opus to shooting fans.

+ Beautiful graphics. Supports widescreen, is 480p, looks AWESOME on a huge TV.
+ Lots of racers to unlock. Custom cars is a nice addition.
+ Skills based racing. No blue turtle shells, no random items.
+ Incredibly precise controls.
+ Includes the F-Zero GX Arcade tracks (like Meteor Shower). You DID unlock those... right?

- Game is inaccessible to casual players due to the sheer difficulty. Steep learning curve.
- F-Zero GX will eat your memory card. Also, you cannot transfer F-Zero GX data from one memory card to another.
-Multiplayer doesn't work too well because this game is not a 'pick up and play' casual type of game. You need someone as trained and hardcore into the game at your skill level.

B+ (One of the best games for the Gamecube but not for casual players. Miyamoto has hinted at a sequel.)

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » February 19th, 2007, 9:30 pm

I agree with the F-zero review and after seeing your star fox assult review I really think you should review Star Fox Adventures.  Its really different, you started talking about how it was reviewed in the past....but you should review it yourself. The controls are different for a game like this but work really well when you get the hang of it.  Yes the dino island stuff caught me off guard but I found it a great adventure with surprizing content.  You can find it for a very low price.  My best guess is that you'd honestly give it a B+.   

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 19th, 2007, 10:32 pm

I agree with Varian.  I think F-Zero is at least a "B" game.  When I first played it, I probably would have agreed with your review.  The controls were touchy, and it was difficult not to collide with the other racers.  I would either fly off the track or wreck.  But once I got the hang of it and started to get better, the game really grew on me.  I usually hate games with extremely high difficulty, but this one really won me over.  There's just something about the speed and intensity of the game that I really like.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » February 20th, 2007, 12:09 am

I agree completely with the other posters about F-Zero. It's a game that really rewards skill, is extremely fine tuned. Really liked it and it was one of my favorite games for the Cube.

-Rob

a1

Postby a1 » February 20th, 2007, 12:55 am

I too agree with the other readers. All of the "faults" you listed in F-Zero GX could have been fixed if you got better at the game. It requires an incredible amount of skill and time, but once you master it it's a great game.

Kris

Postby Kris » February 20th, 2007, 1:21 am

Yep, I agree with the last two guys on F-Zero GX. One of my favorite games on the Gamecube. I stuck with it, and eventually had a lot of fun zipping around the tracks and designing new racers. Easily a "B".

Evan

Postby Evan » February 20th, 2007, 9:34 am

The only thing I found frustrating about F-Zero GX was the story mode, and that was only on the highest difficulty level.  As others have said, it's a game that rewards skill and I was utterly addicted to it for months.  It's easily my favorite racing game of this generation. 

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » February 20th, 2007, 11:20 am

I think the score for F-Zero is too high. All of these games pretty much blow and I was amazed that these games had any type of decent reviews.

FUNK

Return to “Review Feedback”