3/23/2007: Genesis: Double Dragon 3, Super High Impact, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

3/23/2007: Genesis: Double Dragon 3, Super High Impact, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2007, 9:35 pm

I look forward to seeing your reactions to these reviews.  Sorry the football game is a bit out of season!

a1

Postby a1 » March 23rd, 2007, 10:51 pm

I always found World of Illusion more fun than Castle of Illusion. I think the levels are much more creative than Castile of Illusion, and I also prefer hitting enemies up close (magic cape) to hitting them from far away (apples) in 2d games. I think I'd give it about a grade higher than you did, but it also has a lot of nostalgia with me. Still, you have to love the flash and sound you get whenever you hit a boss.

hi there

Postby hi there » March 23rd, 2007, 11:34 pm

What about DD3 on the NES?

Michael D

Postby Michael D » March 24th, 2007, 12:07 am

[QUOTE=a]You have to love the flash and sound you get whenever you hit a boss.
[/QUOTE]

Well, he'd have to, considering it was also used in Castle of Illusion. 

I think he's a little off base on this one.  The graphics are much better than he gives them credit for (I love the vibrant colors and the detailed animations of the characters) and they really help create a magical experience.  And regarding some of those "awful" sounds, what were you expecting the sound effects from a 1992 Genesis game to be like?!

I also liked that like with the co-op, the single player modes give both Mickey and Donald their own unique stages. I think that maybe it should be upgraded to at least a B, because there's no way this game deserves the same score that he gave to Dead Rising (which he admitted had many problems; here, he mentioned less).

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » March 24th, 2007, 12:22 am

What about DD3 on the NES?

It's necessary to get passed the first level before writing a review.  That game is IMPOSSIBLE.  Or maybe I just suck. 

Atalante

Postby Atalante » March 24th, 2007, 1:55 am

Double Dragon 3 was a bloody horrid game and an insult to the series...I remember as a kid being so excited about it because how could you go wrong with Double Dragon? Hell, I even enjoyed the NES DD3 despite the difficulty.  The Genesis game also had some really cool advertisements in magazines that made the game look really awesome, so of course I had to buy the game.

Oh, how disappointed I was.  The game is filth and so lazily made.  Heh, I'm surprised that you didn't mention that when you run, the animation is exactly the same as when you walk, you just move faster.  Heh, as a kid it was also confusing how to get past the ROSETTA room, and there are times where you literally cannot do anything to avoid being hit.  Although, it can be a great game to play 2 players because there's so much to laugh at.

I really don't know what the team was thinking with this one.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 25th, 2007, 7:41 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]

I think that maybe it should be upgraded to at least a B, because there's no way this game deserves the same score that he gave to Dead Rising (which he admitted had many problems; here, he mentioned less).
[/QUOTE]

You realize that he grades on a system specific curve.  That means a B- game on the 360 is not actually the same as a B- game on the genesis.  The genesis is home to so many classic games it easier for him to dish out harder grades because there are better games available for the sytem.  There aren't that many 360 games and I bet if Dead Rising was released two years down the road it would have gotten a lower grade by him. 

pilot

Postby pilot » March 25th, 2007, 11:08 pm

I don't understand why the Critic wants to grade on a curve. It sounds like a heavily flawed system because if someone wants to look for a good game, they won't know where to look.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 25th, 2007, 11:41 pm

[QUOTE=pilot]I don't understand why the Critic wants to grade on a curve. It sounds like a heavily flawed system because if someone wants to look for a good game, they won't know where to look.
[/QUOTE]

Well it makes sense as a game collector.  If I am looking for top notch Saturn games I know which ones are the best on that system.  When I first starting coming to this site I would constantly see what his "A" games were for systems that I owned...I would then go buy those games first.

The critic has to review vintage games as well as recent titles.  How does he compare River Raid for the 2600 to Gears of War on the 360?  You can't put the two on the same reviewing level.  The Critic seems to base most of his reviews on how much fun he has playing a game, and it keeps him from having a really biased view (IMHO). 

Honestly its the only way to review on site with such a historic scope such as this one.  If he didn't judge on a scale you wouldn't see Virtual Boy games getting A ratings because it wouldn't be justified.  Is Mario Clash as good as Resistance Fall of Man?  No, but Mario Clash is probably one of the best Virtual Boy games and he rates it accordingly.  It makes perfect sense to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2007, 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=pilot]I don't understand why the Critic wants to grade on a curve. It sounds like a heavily flawed system because if someone wants to look for a good game, they won't know where to look.
[/QUOTE]

I grade on a "system curve" because it gives me an easy point of reference and sets a standard that doesn't change (except maybe for the very latest systems).  Can you imagine trying to compare the Atari 2600 Pitfall to the Xbox 360 Tomb Raider?  Intellivision World Series to MLB 2K7?  It just wouldn't work.  In addition, it keeps my bias to a minimum, since even if I favor a system (like the Dreamcast), my grades still need to average a C.

That said, you can rest assured that ANY game I rate a B or higher is a good game, regardless of the system.  Likewise, if it's a D or lower, it's a safe bet that it's lousy. Whether you like those that fall in the middle probably depend on how much you like the system itself.

Return to “Review Feedback”