4/1/2007: Playstation 3: Motor Storm, NBA Street Homecourt, Virtua Fighter 5

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2007, 1:14 pm

The other critics don't know what they're talking about.  It's time for the VGC to set the record straight about these new PS3 games.  I'd like to hear your comments.

Also, I downgraded Blazing Angels slightly from a B- to C+.

jrallen811

Postby jrallen811 » April 1st, 2007, 1:28 pm

one of the complaints I heard is about the limited number of tracks in motorstorm. What's your take on that?

Thanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2007, 1:48 pm

[QUOTE=jrallen81]one of the complaints I heard is about the limited number of tracks in motorstorm. What's your take on that?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a valid complaint.  The tracks are extremely robust, lengthy, and have a lot of alternate routes.  Plus, using different vehicles changes the dynamics of each track (lighter vehicles typically take the "high" roads). 

The critics who complained are probably the same ones that whined about Zelda Twilight Princess being too short.

Senix

Postby Senix » April 1st, 2007, 2:07 pm

Concerning VF5
Please! If you dont play games competitively dont try to give an opinion about balance. It sounds like you have NO IDEA what this games are all about like Tekken 5 which you claim to be "well balanced" despite the fact that Tekken 5.1 hit arcades shortly after Tekken 5 to fix some major balance problems.
Although I enjoy most of your reviews the ones about fighting games make me cringe.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 1st, 2007, 6:22 pm

A couple of things about the VF5 review.

First off, what critics are cheerleading the PS3?  Most are giving it the flack that it deserves, except Shawn on the message boards here.

Second, in regards to collision detection issues and balancing issues, not to justify them, but did you notice that DOA 4 on 360 suffered from all the same problems that this one does? Why the difference in scores then? Did you not notice it or is it because DOA 4 is a 360 game and this is a PS3 game and games on different systems can't be accurately compared?

Third, what's with the complaints about jiggle effects and revealing costumes for the females? I just hope it didn't attribute too much into your score.

And finally, to answer your question of "when did Sega forget how to design video games," here's your answer.  It officially occured in January 2005, when they released Virtua Quest and for the most part, it's bled over into all their projects ever since.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 1st, 2007, 6:47 pm

Dave, in your honest opinion and taking the totality of the PS3 game library (not just the games you've played and reviewed), is the system worth $500-600?  I have the money to pay for one, but still have this sickening feeling that most of that money would be going to bolster Sony's faltering game fortunes and not be "experienced" with the current batch of games.  The early XBox 360 games weren't something to write home about either, but the entry-cost to play them wasn't $500-600 (plus taxes, additional controllers, $60 per game, etc.).  Is the PS3 worth the cash right now, or am I better off waiting for a price cut and used copies of all these first-gen games?  Please share!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2007, 6:56 pm

[QUOTE=Senix]Concerning VF5
Please! If you dont play games competitively dont try to give an opinion about balance.
[/QUOTE]

By this logic, I guess I can't criticize the costumes unless I'm a costume designer, and I can't criticize the graphics unless I program games for a living.  Give me a break!

I don't just make this stuff up.  I was playing a friend of mine and he was one of the big guys and I was one of the chicks.  He found a move that when landed, he could just keep doing it repeatedly until my life meter was drained.  I couldn't recover fast enough to counter, block, or sidestep it.  It was really cheap and it forced me to switch characters. 

I call that poor balance, but then again I'm not the 2007 Virtua Fighter 5 world champion so I guess I'm not qualified to voice an opinion.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2007, 7:01 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]A couple of things about the VF5 review.

First off, what critics are cheerleading the PS3?  Most are giving it the flack that it deserves, except Shawn on the message boards here.

Second, in regards to collision detection issues and balancing issues, not to justify them, but did you notice that DOA 4 on 360 suffered from all the same problems that this one does? Why the difference in scores then? Did you not notice it or is it because DOA 4 is a 360 game and this is a PS3 game and games on different systems can't be accurately compared?

Third, what's with the complaints about jiggle effects and revealing costumes for the females? I just hope it didn't attribute too much into your score.

And finally, to answer your question of "when did Sega forget how to design video games," here's your answer.  It officially occured in January 2005, when they released Virtua Quest and for the most part, it's bled over into all their projects ever since.
[/QUOTE]

1. I get one or two Playstation only magazines, and they've been hyping VF5 up for a while, so I knew they'd give it a great score no matter what.  Actually they weren't that crazy about the game but gave it a high score anyway.
2. Don't recall those problem in DOA4.  Then again, since VF has always been better than DOA, I probably hold it to a higher standard.
3. The babe remarks were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2007, 7:06 pm

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

Dave, in your honest opinion and taking the totality of the PS3 game library (not just the games you've played and reviewed), is the system worth $500-600?  I have the money to pay for one, but still have this sickening feeling that most of that money would be going to bolster Sony's faltering game fortunes and not be "experienced" with the current batch of games.  The early XBox 360 games weren't something to write home about either, but the entry-cost to play them wasn't $500-600 (plus taxes, additional controllers, $60 per game, etc.).  Is the PS3 worth the cash right now, or am I better off waiting for a price cut and used copies of all these first-gen games?  Please share!

[/QUOTE]

It's a tough call, but for most people I'd say it's not worth it, especially if you just want to play games.

Motor Storm is the first really great original title for the system.  I play it all the time, but if that's not your bag you'll want to hold off.  If Lair turns out to be as good as it looks, that might be enough to push the system over the edge.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 1st, 2007, 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
It's a tough call, but for most people I'd say it's not worth it, especially if you just want to play games.

Motor Storm is the first really great original title for the system.  I play it all the time, but if that's not your bag you'll want to hold off.  If Lair turns out to be as good as it looks, that might be enough to push the system over the edge.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the honesty Dave.  Blu-ray movies are of little interest to me so games would be the primary reason to buy a PS3, and only "Resistance" and "Motor Storm" are even remotely close to tempting me to buy the PS3.  Tough to justify to myself a $500 expense for just two games, both of which (a) aren't even 1080p (both max out at 720p) and (b) have a few first-gen quirks (no customization/paint job or split screen for "Motor Storm"?) that just seem inexcusable given Sony's asking price. 

Return to “Review Feedback”