4/13/2007: Xbox 360: Major League Baseball 2K7

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2007, 4:46 pm

A game can look great and have a million features, but the bottom line is always "Is it fun?"  Sadly, the answer in this case is "no".

gilbert

Postby gilbert » April 14th, 2007, 11:02 pm

i think your score on mlb2007 for the 360 was a bit tough

kris

Postby kris » April 15th, 2007, 2:51 pm

D+? Sounds kinda tough to me. Sure, the game's intricate, but isn't that what alot of baseball fans want? And so what if there is a women introducing the teams? She's on Fox Baseball on tv, so why not here?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2007, 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=kris]

D+? Sounds kinda tough to me. Sure, the game's intricate, but isn't that what alot of baseball fans want? And so what if there is a women introducing the teams? She's on Fox Baseball on tv, so why not here?

[/QUOTE]

I reviewed this game with a few guys, including a few die-hard baseball fans, and even they were frantically searching for an "arcade mode" after a few long innings.  As for the woman introducing the teams, that just so happens to be one of the six signs of the apocalypse.  Not a big deal, huh??

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » April 16th, 2007, 11:43 am

And so what if there is a women introducing the teams?

I wondered the same thing.  It's not a problem for me, especially since I'm a girl.  The Critic has been addressing some rather strange things, lately, and the reviews are in general seeing a decline in quality.  I hope to see things turn around, because they used to be quite good. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 16th, 2007, 12:04 pm

[QUOTE=MappyMousePD]And so what if there is a women introducing the teams?

I wondered the same thing.  It's not a problem for me, especially since I'm a girl.  The Critic has been addressing some rather strange things, lately, and the reviews are in general seeing a decline in quality.  I hope to see things turn around, because they used to be quite good.[/QUOTE]

Whoa!  I really disagree with that.  I think some of the latest reviews have been great quality, and more fun to read than many reviews from the past.  They are funnier, and somehow manage to be more descriptive than a single paragraph can usually provide.  Personally, I think you guys need to get a sense of humor.  Political correctness can be quite destructive to that.

Just out of curiosity, what other "strange things" do you think the critic has been addressing?

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » April 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm

I think the Critic should focus his future humor on the French, white males, and politicians.  Any other jokes will not be tolerated by the PC Gestapo. 

Superjay

Postby Superjay » April 18th, 2007, 7:27 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]

I think the Critic should focus his future humor on the French, white males, and politicians.  Any other jokes will not be tolerated by the PC Gestapo. 

[/QUOTE]
As long as he makes fun of boths parties. I hate!!! propaganda.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 18th, 2007, 2:04 pm

It is now considered Politically Correct to make fun of Pitsburgh, Cleaveland, New Jersey and the Red Sox.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 19th, 2007, 1:44 am

I picked up this game today, because I was really jonesing for a Baseball game for one of my new systems.

And so far, I think Dave was really, really harsh on this one. I'm not sure I buy his arguments.

On the controls:

I'm rather baffled at the criticisms here. I figured out pitching right away, and the batting soon after. Yes, in my first game, I got killed in "pro" difficulty mode and only got two hits. But by the middle of the second game, I was crushing big home runs, even with players like Placido Polanco who doesn't really hit them!

Pitching is especially simple because your catcher actually "calls" the game, which I think is a really great feature. He'll set up in the strike zone and his pitch choice will be highlighted. I like this, because I really don't want to make the mental effort of trying to think of the best pitch sequence.

But here is where I'm sure people get screwed up. First, you have to select not where you want the ball to end up after you pitch, but where you want the ball to begin to break. In other words, if you want a slider to scrape the outside corner, you put the cursor in the middle, so it will "break" to the corner as a slider should.

In addition, pitching has a "timing" mechanism where you simply have to hold the button (longer=more power, or more break, or more "whatever" the pitch is), release, then press again. It does, I admit, seem confusing at first. But once you get it, you "get" it, and you'll be striking out batters with ease soon enough (if you're using Justin Verlander, heh heh). 

The batting control is quite intuitive once you get the hang of it. It's kinda like Fight Night Round 3's analog punch controls. There is a timing element here, as well. Pulling back on the stick begins the swing sequence, and getting this right (just as the pitcher releases the ball) gives you extra power.

Speed of game:

You can skip past the player "waggles" by hitting the A button. This seems to zoom things along fast enough.

Baggy Pants: Okay, the Critic has a point. But I can see why Kush Games did it... they have really snazzy wind effects!

Now, I will say that I can totally get why using this as a multiplayer game amongst friends could result in a bad experience. The controls, after a few games, seem pretty easy to grab to me, but that's because I did something few men do: I looked at the manual. But I'm not sure that amongst friends that is as possible. Plus, you don't want a "head to head" type game using a ton of controls. So I'm sure "The Bigs" will be a better "Baseball Party Game."

But as a fan, I really dig the realistic options. This really is a fun baseball game. If you are a solo gamer, like I am, I would encourage you to give this a look. I don't really think its a D+ game at all. I haven't played it long enough to write a proper counter review, but I will soon.

-Rob

Return to “Review Feedback”