4/23/2007: Philips CD-i: Jigsaw, Link: The Faces of Evil, Merlin's Apprentice, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

4/23/2007: Philips CD-i: Jigsaw, Link: The Faces of Evil, Merlin's Apprentice, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 23rd, 2007, 3:25 pm

Most of you probably don't care much about the CD-i, but I need to update all of the section periodically.  I think these are fairly humorous.  Would like to hear your take.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 23rd, 2007, 3:39 pm

Needless to say (I hope), I completely disagree with those revamped CD-i Zelda reviews.  The only CD-i Zelda I would ever give a C to is Zelda's Adventure.  These first two would remain in the solid F category.

Still, I realize you judge these games on a curve per system as they come, and you've likely never played Zelda's Adventure.  It's mediocre, but compared to Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil, it's downright inspired.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 23rd, 2007, 4:23 pm

Thank you, thank you for giving the CD-i Zeldas another go. See, world, they aren't THAT bad. I'm surprised you didn't mention the ridiculous weapon system in Faces of Evil, though, where you need fireballs to harm ice monsters, fireballs can only be gotten from killing fire monsters, which requires snowballs you can only get from killing monsters in the snow village. "Grinding time".

As for Jigsaw, the CD-i tried to offer a little bit of everything, and appeal to absolutely everyone (which is also what ultimately killed it - the ridiculous lack of focus), which is why it offers everything from standard videogames to movies, music videos, dictionaries, children's computer programs, guitar courses (no really.. and if you think that's far out, there's also an interactive guide to a better sex life on the thing).
Why someone thought people would actually want to solve jigsaw puzzles on their TV is a better question, but hey, when they're supposed to appeal to everyone, that includes great grandma as well.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 23rd, 2007, 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]Thank you, thank you for giving the CD-i Zeldas another go. See, world, they aren't THAT bad.[/QUOTE]

If you read his text and not his score, you don't get the impression that they aren't that bad.  So I have to wonder, is it that they aren't really that bad, or that the CD-i is that not that good in general?

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » April 23rd, 2007, 5:01 pm

I think, looking at the other CD-i reviews, the answer is cleary that the CD-i was just a crappy system. Looks like just having a playable game is enough to warrant a C.

-Rob

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » April 23rd, 2007, 5:56 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Most of you probably don't care much about the CD-i, but I need to update all of the section periodically.  I think these are fairly humorous.  Would like to hear your take.
[/QUOTE]

What's humorous is that you keep wasting money on this machine. ~ Looking over the whole of the reviews, the CDi could be the most worthless gaming machine ever. I was always curious about the Axis & Allies game though, maybe when you feel the need to throw more money away you could get that game next.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 23rd, 2007, 6:08 pm

i have to put the CDi in front of the game.com

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 23rd, 2007, 11:06 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]
What's humorous is that you keep wasting money on this machine.
[/QUOTE]

Who said I did?  The two Zeldas are re-reviews, and the other two came with the machine when I bought it used many years ago.

EdwardM

Postby EdwardM » April 24th, 2007, 2:54 am

I noticed for the Zelda Game, you said "On any other system this is game would be considered "bottom of the barrel", but on a system so lacking of action titles, Faces of Evil seems almost respectable."  You gave it a C-, which wouldn't be a "bottom of the barrel grade"   Are you trying to say that you don't grade your games equally.  Meaning that a C- for an SNES or Dreamcast game would be much better than a C- for a CD-I game.   Are the games for the CD-I so bad, that you actually increase the grading curve for it.  Would this be comparable to a C- SNES game, or do you increase the curve for lackluster systems?

twel

Postby twel » April 24th, 2007, 3:20 am

well, from time to time i still enjoy to play lemmings on my cdi 370 (a nice looking portable cdi player with lcd screen) or a james bond vcd movie ... the cdi isn´t a total waste of money and time but you really need a 3rd party joypad like the gamester to enjoy it.

Return to “Review Feedback”