5/1/2007: Saturn: Hang On GP, Manx TT Super Bike, Sega Ages

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2007, 8:48 pm

Ok, let's hear what you have to say now.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 1st, 2007, 9:22 pm

I love my [b]Sega Ages[/b] compilation.  You complain about the disc only having three games Dave but you neglected to mention (a) these games were released individually in Japan (for the yen equivalent of $29 ea.) and (b) Working Designs packaged/programmed this compilation with their usual love & care.  The color manual, the interview with the "Outrun" composer, the easy-as-pie menu/interface, the excellent analog control ("Outrun" benefits tremendously from it) and the overall polish makes this one of the best compilations ever released on a console.  I'm not crazy about "Space Harrier" but "Outrun" and "After Burner II" were like crack cocaine for me when I was an arcade mallrat.  [b]Manx TT Superbike[/b] is OK (have you played it with the "sheep" code activated?) but the limited number of tracks severely hurt replayability.  This is one old arcade Model 2 game I wouldn't mind to see Sega port and release on PlayStation 2 or XBox Live since the Saturn chips severely limited the graphics (the speed is fine but the textures/resolution are half-assed) and Sega didn't code the game (Tantalus did it for them).

Never played "Hang-On" Saturn because reviews back then warned me the game was ass.  Thank God I headed their warnings as I'm heeding yours, and keeping my precious couple of Saturn units "Hang-On" free.  

john-boy

Postby john-boy » May 2nd, 2007, 1:03 pm

outrun = best racer ever

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » May 2nd, 2007, 8:35 pm

Can you review this game next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVmf1jKm1bs

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 2nd, 2007, 8:41 pm

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd]Can you review this game next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVmf1jKm1bs

[/QUOTE]

Oh... my... wow...

That is hilarious.  I would LOVE to hear the critic's review of that one.  But it's an RPG, so he'll likely never touch it.

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » May 3rd, 2007, 5:53 am

Vargas, I wouldn't say Dave really complained at all about Sega Ages, he gave it an A-.

The Sega Ages review is curious indeed, when looking at the Genesis and 32x reviews of the same games it appears VGC found some new love for games he previously hated.

Genesis: Afterburner II = F, Space Harrier II = F
32X: Afterburner = D , Space Harrier = C

Sega Ages for Saturn = A-? Surely it doesn't deserve an A- based on his love for Outrun alone does it? Outrun is the weakest game on there anyway, generic racer that only had fun value as an arcade game in an environmental motorized cab.

I couldn't enjoy ManxTT on Saturn either, alot of these Sega games that were originally big environmental arcade cabs, ManxTT being an actual Bike to sit on, had most of their value in this proprietary setup, and you just didn't get the same fun at home, they just turn into generic games.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 3rd, 2007, 11:16 am

Yes, that's quite the trailer. I think I might see if I can rent the game just for the comedy...

-Rob

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 4th, 2007, 12:08 am

"Outrun is the weakest game on there anyway, generic racer that only had fun value as an arcade game in an environmental motorized cab."

I can provide the tar, anyone have some feathers to contribute?

Return to “Review Feedback”