5/4/2007: Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Wii Sports

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » May 4th, 2007, 6:38 pm

[/QUOTE]

I don't look at it as being free.  I look at it as being a forced purchase.  I know Nintendo couldn't get away with charging 250 for the Wii if this game wasn't included.   But since this review, I'm opened the game back up, and I'm thinking maybe I have been a little too harsh on it.  I didn't even realise it had training and fitness modes, thanks for pointing it out critic.  And I think maybe tennis isn't as bad as I thought, I'm starting to like it.  And I'm starting to like boxing now that Im figuring out the combos.  Perhaps my first impression was too harsh, but I still like Wii play much better because I love tanks and Billards.
[/QUOTE]

And it only took an hour for you to figure that out!  I don't think you could play Wii Tennis without the motion sensing.  You can hit the ball hard or soft, put top spin or back spin, and notice that if you angle the controller when you swing you'll lob the ball, as if your tennis racket was angled upwards...I think it's pretty awesome.
And bowling...come on now.  Everybody loves Wii bowling!  You flick your wrist at the end of your throw to put spin on the ball.  Of course that also affects the speed as well.  I've played it enough to bowl a 300...and I still play it! 
As you already mentioned, I think you were too harsh, and if you give it some more time, you too will learn to love Wii Sports.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 4th, 2007, 6:40 pm

There is "a" to the rescue....somebody criticized Nintendo and there he is to the rescue. I am sure Paul will be right behind. Personally, I think Wiisports is an A title b/c people have so much fun with it. If it was actually gauged on how well it approximates or mirrors the sports it would get an "F". But that being said it should be based on the fun factor and Wii Sports is a great party game. Of course, solo I think it is not as much fun.

I haven't played much of Zelda so I don't have an opinion. Personally, I am still trying to wake up after playing Windwaker but based on everything I have read it appears that the A is about on the mark. Of course, it didn't take long for somebody to say "it should be an A+" but that is no surprise.

I played a lot of Wii Play and most of the games are pretty lousy. I think the VGC missed the mark on this. It deserves an easy F or D- as taken as a whole.

Good reads nonetheless.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » May 4th, 2007, 7:32 pm

No, I'm not saying I love Wii sports.  Just saying its starting to become a C game instead of a D game.  Im saying I'm starting to enjoy Wii Tennis, but I still think table tennis for 360 is 10 times better. I'll give it some more time, but I doubt my opinion will change much.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » May 4th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Yeah Wii reviews. I know if I whined enough they would come. Anyway since the only game I have is wii sports, that's the only game I can comment on. I felt the total oposite about 2 mini-games. Baseball is my favorite by far. and Tennis I hated because I can't get used to it. I keep on hitting the ball out of the grid and the tennis racket won't change hands whenever I change hands.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 4th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Ah, the usual "Why not just Bowl?" Wii Sports comment. a, your comment was pee-in-my pants funny. Nice.

Apparently "multiple personalities" Shawn is being nice today. That's a reasonable take. I'm not saying that the Critic or Jonathan Hawk should change anything. Heck, if they said Zelda was an F, I still wouldn't actually tell them to change the grade. I'm only saying what the game was to me. Some people think Led Zeppelin III is the best Zep album, and since it is subjective, their opinion isn't wrong so much as it is their own (Zep III is a cool record, IMHO).

But to the dude who suggested that not every game named Zelda is an A, well, yeah, there are the Cd-i Zeldas, after all. Just kidding. I don't have the whole Zelda library memorized, but actually, outside of the aforementioned Phillips fiascos, you'd be hard pressed to think of any Zelda that wasn't at least a solid effort. Maybe the Oracle of Ages/Seasons Combo, but that's only because I haven't played it. Minish Cap is not quite laid out as intelligently as the other games: The puzzles aren't always as logical as they should be: a good Zelda puzzle should make you slap yourself on the forehead, the solution being obvious to everyone but you. Some of the Minish Cap puzzles are just esoteric and require a guide of some sort.

I've also heard negative stuff about the first Gameboy effort, Link's Awakening. Though I actually liked that one!

All in all, it bothers me a little that people can't just say "Oh, sure, I don't personally love this game, but I can see why it is probably brilliant." I fully recognize that God of War 1 and 2 rae totally sweet. Just not my kinda thing though. But I don't think someone is biased for giving those games an A.

-Rob

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 4th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Wii Sports...how does A, B+, B, C+, A equal an overall grade of A? I don't get it.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 4th, 2007, 8:45 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]Maybe the Oracle of Ages/Seasons Combo, but that's only because I haven't played it.[/QUOTE]

Ages is certainly A material. Seasons is a bit more iffy, it suffers from the lack of good puzzles, interesting sub-adventures in the overworld and a plot that actually goes somewhere, all made the more annoying due to all three points being present in Ages. It's not a bad game, but it's considerably worse than it's counterpart.

Also, the ring system and the nut/tree systems are both annoying as all hell, takes ages to complete, and are best ignored unless you absolutely must have everything in the games.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 4th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Why does it matter? I could see rating something like say a classic arcade gaming collection with lots of solid titles but nothing like Ms. Pac-Man and other A hits, a A even if I didn't rate any of the individual games as a A. The final grade is the package as a whole, even if not all the included games aren't A titles.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Since Jonathan Hawke is in the reviewing mood again, maybe he should write a good review for Knights of the Old Republic.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Heck yes, m0zart. Hey Jon.... does us all a favor and review this incredible RPG GEM!!!

-Rob

Return to “Review Feedback”