5/4/2007: Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Wii Sports

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 4th, 2007, 10:33 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M]Wii Bowling, is just a bad idea for a game as if I wanted to bowl, id go to a bowling alley.  

[/QUOTE]
Okay, all arguments about no games BEING the things they simulate aside, I take issue with people saying this on every website I go to.

Now this may blow your latte drinking, opera going, pleted pants wearing,  minivan driving city slicker minds, but not everywhere has a freaking bowling alley!

"Oh my, I say.  Why would anyone want to play that flight simulator wut wut?  I mean, one could just take ones' personal jet.  And playing Rollar Coaster Tychoon?  How silly.  I'll just buy a real one, eh Babs.  Yes, I say, I thought it quite a clever one myself.  Now I'm off to go fox hunting."

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 4th, 2007, 10:38 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Wii Sports...how does A, B+, B, C+, A equal an overall grade of A? I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]
Ataritimes does it the same way.  The logc goes like this:

You buy, say, God of War 2.  It's an A+.  Now, let's say added to that, the disc also contained a God of War 1 on 1 fighter as a bonus, but it was pretty mediocre, say a C-.   Does that mean God of War 2 should now get a B because it has more content, but some of the content is less good?

The overall score doesn't have to be an average, just an overall measure of the value in the package.  If all that value comes from two games, one game, three games, whatever, it can still be an A overall.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » May 4th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Great to finally see some Wii reviews, so let's go down the list of them.

Zelda: Pretty much dead on.  It is a great game on both consoles, but not quite good enough to justify an A+.

Wii Play: Surprised you gave this one a decent score, considering how much you disliked many of the games.  I guess it makes a bit sense though, if you buy into the idea that it's a Wii-Mote that comes with a $10 game.

Wii Sports: Good game, but maybe we should hold off on some of those bold statements for now.  "Has there ever been a better pack-in game?"  "If you're thinking about buying a Wii, Wii Sports is all the reason you need?"  It seems that your joy of getting a Wii is going to your head slightly; maybe you should give it some more time (and games reviewed) before saying stuff like you did.

Also, I disagree with your praise on the Golf, as I found it unresponsive for controlling the power of my shots, regardless of the club.  I'll be curious to see you review Tiger Woods 07 and/or Swing Star Golf and compare their Wii-Mote golf gameplay to this one's. 

However, you are right that it's a great party game and that Tennis and Bowling are pretty much perfect.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » May 4th, 2007, 10:53 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Edward M]Wii Bowling, is just a bad idea for a game as if I wanted to bowl, id go to a bowling alley.  

[/QUOTE]
Okay, all arguments about no games BEING the things they simulate aside, I take issue with people saying this on every website I go to.

Now this may blow your latte drinking, opera going, pleted pants wearing,  minivan driving city slicker minds, but not everywhere has a freaking bowling alley!

"Oh my, I say.  Why would anyone want to play that flight simulator wut wut?  I mean, one could just take ones' personal jet.  And playing Rollar Coaster Tychoon?  How silly.  I'll just buy a real one, eh Babs.  Yes, I say, I thought it quite a clever one myself.  Now I'm off to go fox hunting."
[/QUOTE]

LOL, now this is a funny post.  I don't think people think of bowling alleys as the "latte drinking, opera going crowd"  Ever seen the big lebowski? It seems every small redneck town I go to has 1 or even more bowling alleys.   How far in the boondocks do you have to be to not be anywhere near a bowling alley?  Or maybe you don't have one because you are in "latte drinking opera going town."

And about my comments on wii bowling.  Im just saying bowling doesn't translate into a video game very well.  Bowling is about the feel of a ball, and a videogame can't duplicate it.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 4th, 2007, 11:16 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M]  How far in the boondocks do you have to be [/QUOTE]
This town has 1200 people.  Here's an idea of how far I am into the boondocks:
I drive 2 and half hours to the nearest "city" which has 10,000 people.  There are no videogame stores, videogame rental places, Wal-Marts, or McDonalds between here and there.  There is one movie theatre between here and there that shows one movie for two nights about every month or so.

Yesterday one of the other employees where I work woke up to find a bear eating his garbage.  On each of the last two days when I went on lunch break there was a bull moose in the parking lot at work.  When I go running I have to be careful of coyotes.

Trust me, I'm in the backwoods here.  And as much as that sounds like a series of complaints, it isn't.  My hometown had 6000 people, and once anything gets much bigger than that I am miserable living there.  I take this 1200 people a lot better than I took the 170,000 the last place I lived (that was torture, so you can imagine how I'd do in some of the real cities you people live in).  I don't know how people can stand to have to drive somewhere to find the woods.  Anyway, back on topic we go.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 4th, 2007, 11:24 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M]And about my comments on wii bowling.  Im just saying bowling doesn't translate into a video game very well.  Bowling is about the feel of a ball, and a videogame can't duplicate it.[/QUOTE]

Who says they are trying to make the game exactly like bowling?  Those people who don't bowl don't care.  They just want something fun.  For them, bowling is about knocking down more pins than the other gamer you are playing with.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 4th, 2007, 11:24 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Edward M]  How far in the boondocks do you have to be [/QUOTE]
I drive 2 and half hours to the nearest "city" which has 10,000 people.  There are no videogame stores, videogame rental places, Wal-Marts, or McDonalds between here and there.  There is one movie theatre between here and there that shows one movie for two nights about every month or so.

Yesterday one of the other employees where I work woke up to find a bear eating his garbage.  On each of the last two days when I went on lunch break there was a bull moose in the parking lot at work.  When I go running I have to be careful of coyotes.

Trust me, I'm in the backwoods here.  And as much as that sounds like a series of complaints, it isn't.  My hometown had 6000 people, and once anything gets much bigger than that I am miserable living there.  I take this 1200 people a lot better than I took the 170,000 the last place I lived (that was torture, so you can imagine how I'd do in some of the real cities you people live in).  I don't know how people can stand to have to drive somewhere to find the woods.  Anyway, back on topic we go.
[/QUOTE]

Where the heck do you live? Anyway, I think Wii Sports deserves and A I just don't know how the critic gets there. I guess the mini games put it over the top? Doesn't matter I guess......if Mario Galaxy is great even I am getting a Wii (my buddy has one which I have played a bit) so there! Loving my 360 too much to get a PS3 right now.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 4th, 2007, 11:39 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]
Where the heck do you live?
[/QUOTE]
I won't give a specific address, but see that big road running through Newfoundland there:
Linky
That's the main highway.  Well I'm WAYYYYYYY off that.  In one of those open patches that you have to zoom in on to see a road.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 4th, 2007, 11:52 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I won't give a specific address, but see that big road running through Newfoundland there:
Linky
That's the main highway.  Well I'm WAYYYYYYY off that.  In one of those open patches that you have to zoom in on to see a road.[/QUOTE]

Ah so you must be in the Atlantic time zone -- literally five hours behind Canada's West coast.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » May 5th, 2007, 1:06 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Edward M]  How far in the boondocks do you have to be [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where the heck do you live? Anyway, I think Wii Sports deserves and A I just don't know how the critic gets there. I guess the mini games put it over the top? Doesn't matter I guess......if Mario Galaxy is great even I am getting a Wii (my buddy has one which I have played a bit) so there! Loving my 360 too much to get a PS3 right now.
[/QUOTE]
Shawn I thought you already had a PS3. What are your thoughts on Ken Kutaragi retiring.

Return to “Review Feedback”