5/4/2007: Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Wii Sports

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Jasonhas RSI

Postby Jasonhas RSI » May 5th, 2007, 2:00 am

Just out of curiosity -- has RPG "correspondent" Jonathan Hawk ever played a game he didn't absolutely love? He seems to pass out 'A's like candy.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 5th, 2007, 2:33 am

My two cents on the Wii reviews:

I was glad to hear that Jonathan reviewed Twilight Princess only because he had the time, not because it is supposedly a role playing game.  Zelda is an action/adventure game.  A role playing game is Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, etc.  It is so NOT an RPG that I can't believe there is even a difference in opinion out there.  Just because a game is long and adventurous and has items doesn't make it an RPG.

I agree with the critic on Wii Play.   My wife actually had alot of fun with Find Mii (or whatever it's called), but I was already burned out on that style of game from the extras on the DS Mario games.  I actually didn't like pool at all, but I don't think I ever really figured it out, so it's not a fair assessment.

I can't believe we are still having the "why don't you just go to a bowling alley?" debate.  I'll give you a great reason.  I can bowl ANYTIME with Wii Sports Bowling, like when I am watching my 1 year old while my wife works.  This way I can bowl anytime, like while she is buckled in her high chair eating lunch.  I think the only people who should be allowed to bring up that debate are those who don't play video games at all, because in their case it would not be hypocritical, considering there are about a million games out there that you could just ditch and go out and do the real thing.

john-boy

Postby john-boy » May 5th, 2007, 4:48 am

the "go bowling" instead argument seeemed a little silly to me as well.

Playing video game versions of football, golf, baseball, Formula 1, hell - any sport, is not the same as the real thing! They are not even simulations. You can't feel the leather on your feet, or the weight of the club striking the ball, the backwheels spinning out of control, or the force of a 18 stone defender putting you on your arse. Doesn't mean they cannot be fun!

Strange argument.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 5th, 2007, 6:25 am

[QUOTE=Superjay][QUOTE=Shawn]

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Edward M]  How far in the boondocks do you have to be [/QUOTE]
This town has 1200 people.  Here's an idea of how far I am into the boondocks:
I drive 2 and half hours to the nearest "city" which has 10,000 people.  There are no videogame stores, videogame rental places, Wal-Marts, or McDonalds between here and there.  There is one movie theatre between here and there that shows one movie for two nights about every month or so.

Yesterday one of the other employees where I work woke up to find a bear eating his garbage.  On each of the last two days when I went on lunch break there was a bull moose in the parking lot at work.  When I go running I have to be careful of coyotes.

Trust me, I'm in the backwoods here.  And as much as that sounds like a series of complaints, it isn't.  My hometown had 6000 people, and once anything gets much bigger than that I am miserable living there.  I take this 1200 people a lot better than I took the 170,000 the last place I lived (that was torture, so you can imagine how I'd do in some of the real cities you people live in).  I don't know how people can stand to have to drive somewhere to find the woods.  Anyway, back on topic we go.
[/QUOTE]

Where the heck do you live? Anyway, I think Wii Sports deserves and A I just don't know how the critic gets there. I guess the mini games put it over the top? Doesn't matter I guess......if Mario Galaxy is great even I am getting a Wii (my buddy has one which I have played a bit) so there! Loving my 360 too much to get a PS3 right now.
[/QUOTE]
Shawn I thought you already had a PS3. What are your thoughts on Ken Kutaragi retiring.
[/QUOTE]

People think I own a PS3 b/c when I was running my mouth about how bad the Wii is (I obviously don't think that anymore) everybody assumed I was a Sony Fanboy and thus, owned a PS3. If anything I am a 360 fanboy or at least a fanboy of those types of games. As far as Kutaragi retiring I think it was time for a change b/c Sony has mishandled the PS3 and its recent marketing campaigns so bad even I am left shaking my head. When I look at what has happened with Sony over the last year I think they let their arrogance get the best of them. Now they are playing catch up and who knows if it is too late for them. Meaning perhaps nobody can fix all of their problems now.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 5th, 2007, 7:50 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I won't give a specific address, but see that big road running through Newfoundland there:
Linky
That's the main highway.  Well I'm WAYYYYYYY off that.  In one of those open patches that you have to zoom in on to see a road.[/QUOTE]

Ah so you must be in the Atlantic time zone -- literally five hours behind Canada's West coast.

[/QUOTE]
We have our own time zone: Newfoundland Standard Time.  Also, we're ahead of the rest of North America (the sun rises in the East).

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » May 5th, 2007, 12:01 pm

[QUOTE=Jasonhas RSI]Just out of curiosity -- has RPG "correspondent" Jonathan Hawk ever played a game he didn't absolutely love? He seems to pass out 'A's like candy.
[/QUOTE]

hehe, I asked him the same thing a while back:

http://forums.sterlingtimes.org/tool/post/dmrozek/vpost?id=706882

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » May 5th, 2007, 12:41 pm

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd ][QUOTE=Jasonhas RSI]Just out of curiosity -- has RPG "correspondent" Jonathan Hawk ever played a game he didn't absolutely love? He seems to pass out 'A's like candy.
[/QUOTE]

hehe, I asked him the same thing a while back:

http://forums.sterlingtimes.org/tool/post/dmrozek/vpost?id=706882
[/QUOTE]

it seems that jonathan hawk reviews top notch games, and i don't mean that sarcastically.  yes, he may be a little more forgiving in his reviews than the Critic, but jonathan's reviews are usually fantastic RPG's or adventure games.  i found all the Wii reviews to be very insightful.

also, i agree with edward about simulation compared to the real thing.  why play zelda when you can go to a freaky elf land and fight monsters?  the elf land that i am refering to is, of course, Cleveland. 

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » May 5th, 2007, 1:10 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Atarifever]I won't give a specific address, but see that big road running through Newfoundland there: Linky That's the main highway.  Well I'm WAYYYYYYY off that.  In one of those open patches that you have to zoom in on to see a road.[/QUOTE]
Ah so you must be in the Atlantic time zone -- literally five hours behind Canada's West coast.
[/QUOTE] We have our own time zone: Newfoundland Standard Time .  Also, we're ahead of the rest of North America (the sun rises in the East). [/QUOTE]

You GD newfoundlanders....Prince Edward Island is where its at! Come play on [I]my[/I] Island...you can't do [B]that[/B] on Nintendo B*tch!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 5th, 2007, 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]We have our own time zone: Newfoundland Standard Time.[/QUOTE]

My goodness.  You really are out in the boonies.  Your time zone is one of those median time zones too, right?  One that is actually + or - X:30 from the universal standard time instead of + or - X:00 from it.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I know India has such a time zone, though maybe for different reasons.  They actually have two time zones in their country, but the time zones are averaged out into one time zone at a 30 minute marker.

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Also, we're ahead of the rest of North America (the sun rises in the East).[/QUOTE]

LOL my dislexia in action.  I still have a hard time telling my right from my left.  I can do it, it just isn't obvious to me.  Also, when I tell people I am going home for a visit, I usually say "I am going down to Virginia" instead of "up".  When I return home I usually say the opposite.  This is one of those instances when it isn't clear to me which one was the positive and which one was the negative.

I remember in school when we were learning about positive and negative numbers for the first time, my heart sank.  I thought it was going to be a real trial.  But for some reason, that one didn't give me all that much trouble, probably since direction wasn't really necessary to understanding how it worked.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 5th, 2007, 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

I remember in school when we were learning about positive and negative numbers for the first time, my heart sank.  I thought it was going to be a real trial.  But for some reason, that one didn't give me all that much trouble, probably since direction wasn't really necessary to understanding how it worked.
[/QUOTE]
I found that section easy because I'd watched so much Jeopardy and saw people go in the hole so much.

Return to “Review Feedback”